Need critique of Rolling Stones cover "Sway"

• Members

I just wanted to get some overall thoughts on this cover. We're not a cover band but sometimes we through this in our setlist.

Musically we are pretty inexperienced band (4 shows) so Im really trying to work out bugs and trying to figure out how to present our songs to the audience more efficiently(more dynamics as a band, good sound levels not too loud)

Feel free to give any thoughts at all on the song...anything sucks? anything you like? :idea:

• Members

Well, as Stones songs go, this wouldn't be my first choice for a cover...

There were a few things that struck me when I was watching this:

1.) You have two guitarists, but I couldn't really see what purpose they were each serving. If I had been listening without looking at the video, I would have never thought you had two guitars up there. I think you need to find a way to make both guitars have a distinct voice/purpose when you play or get rid of one.

2.) I couldn't hear the keys at all, but that may have been the nature of the recording.

3.) You guys are really, really static up there. Maybe more energy in your body language and stage movements? I dunno...right now most of my gigs are as an acoustic duo sitting on stools, so I'm probably not one to talk. ;)

• Members

First off, I disagree with bloolight. This is a great song to cover. Killer groove, but not too obvious and most people haven't heard it 8 billion times. My thoughts:

1. It's in the wrong key for your voice. Transpose it down so that it fits your vocal range without straining.

2. Agree that your other guitarist is inaudible, because he's playing exactly the same part as you are. Listen to how Mick T. and Keith work that song. Study how they weave in and out and never step on each other. For example, you guys aren't playing any of the lead fills during the verses and it's really missing.

3. Your guitar was out-of-tune on the solo, and your solo was too stiff because you tried to go note-for-note. This is the Stones, man, loosen up and wing it a little! Luckily, because the song isn't on heavy rotation, most audience members won't know how the solo goes, so you can wail to your heart's content.

4. Agree that you all could move around more and interact with the audience while playing.

Good effort, though! I'm sure you will be able to sort it out. BTW, another great, obscure Stones song you might consider in the same vein is "Slave" off Tattoo You.

• Members

Good points guys.

Basically it was a really easy cover we wanted to through in so basically took the easy way out and just used chords :o ..so point taken about both guitars and keys playing just the chords

It was a bad mix bloolight for the keys...you can hear them a little during the solo

Good point about the wrong key Lurko...maybe tune everything like a 1/2 step down? The might be a good idea for our songs in general :idea:

• Members

Good points guys.

Good point about the wrong key Lurko...maybe tune everything like a 1/2 step down? The might be a good idea for our songs in general
:idea:

I think it's a better idea to just transpose it in standard tuning. Shouldn't be too hard, as it's not a complex song by any means.

Good luck and have fun with it!:cool:

• Members

Well, as Stones songs go, this wouldn't be my first choice for a cover...

There were a few things that struck me when I was watching this:

1.) You have two guitarists, but I couldn't really see what purpose they were each serving. If I had been listening without looking at the video, I would have never thought you had two guitars up there. I think you need to find a way to make both guitars have a distinct voice/purpose when you play or get rid of one.

2.) I couldn't hear the keys at all, but that may have been the nature of the recording.

3.) You guys are really, really static up there. Maybe more energy in your body language and stage movements? I dunno...right now most of my gigs are as an acoustic duo sitting on stools, so I'm probably not one to talk.
;)

+1

Archived