Plateau of playing: How do you move up to the next level?

RyanVanHalen

• Members

I know it sounds wrong, but sometimes just ripping certain parts of your favorite songs helps in the begin. You then reach the point where you break down the alchemy of a song.

I'd say that sounds exactly right. That's what I did when I started writing songs, and it's still what I do when I feel like I'm in a writing rut: learn other people's tunes, preferably of a genre that I don't usually play.

Hell, on many occasions I've written something I liked, and then been thinking about it for a day or two before it suddenly strikes - "Oh {censored}, that's pretty much exactly the song 'x' by the band 'x.'" I think that's just kinda part of the whole writing thing.

• Members

I'd say that sounds exactly right. That's what I did when I started writing songs, and it's still what I do when I feel like I'm in a writing rut: learn other people's tunes, preferably of a genre that I don't usually play.

Hell, on many occasions I've written something I liked, and then been thinking about it for a day or two before it suddenly strikes - "Oh {censored}, that's pretty much exactly the song 'x' by the band 'x.'" I think that's just kinda part of the whole writing thing.

I usually collect a bunch of different riffs and try to tie them into a competent song structure. I don't want the band to just sound like we're jamming, but sometimes it ends up like that anyway :cool: That is unless the premise of the song was to jam, like during the bridge or something. But I'm a huge advocate if not a disciple of the belief that a truly good song should sound just as amazing and epic stripped down to the core with just an acoustic guitar, spare percussion, and vocals. Unless the song requires lots of instrumentation...I personally feel things can be kept simple in order to catch someone else's ear quicker.

• Members

it might sound stupid, but try learning more about math. the part of the brain that's responsible for math plays a major role in music. it doesn't really matter what level of math you study, just as long as you find it challenging.

it takes 3-6 wks after a neuron forms for it to become mature. around week 4, you should see some results.

I've tried this myself, and when i was doing it (not any more, i became lazy) i noticed real improvement. When i would jam, my playing became a lot less "linear." It's sort of hard to explain.

there's lots of stuff on the net about this. here's one link:

http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/uses-math/music/

• Members

Practice stuff you don't normally practice... everyone is out of balence in some respect, because we tend to practice strengths and not weaknesses.

:thu:

I like to play lines from songs that are in completely different genres from what I play with the band.

I'll kick around "rocket man" on keys, or Duran Duran's "Rio" on bass....

It's about time to add a few more "out there" tunes/lines to the collection.

• Members

it might sound stupid, but try learning more about math. the part of the brain that's responsible for math plays a major role in music. it doesn't really matter what level of math you study, just as long as you find it challenging.

it takes 3-6 wks after a neuron forms for it to become mature. around week 4, you should see some results.

I've tried this myself, and when i was doing it (not any more, i became lazy) i noticed real improvement. When i would jam, my playing became a lot less "linear." It's sort of hard to explain.

there's lots of stuff on the net about this. here's one link:

Hmm...I'm sure you might have seen improvement because you were just learning and all the processes associated with learning and improving neural routes and connections sparked your more creative side. I don't know if you have to necessarily learn math, just learn period. Overall education helps you with anything.

• Members

The only thing that has ever really helped me "bust out" of a playing funk and really move to a new level was playing with guitarists who were better than me- You can really see how they do it and what makes them good when you're jamming......

+1 Thats why I miss jammin with some of my old buddies. I'm really looking forward to someone handing my ass to me during a jam :thu:

Archived