Cramping on stage

ned911

• Members

At our last 2 outdoor gigs our drummer has started cramping. Before last night he spent 3 days hydrating with water and Gatoraide and had plenty to drink during the show. Yet still felt bad physically and was fighting off leg and arm cramps all night.

Any thoughts on whats happening.

• Members

It sounds like he just doesn't have the stamina, yet, for playing in the heat.

Even though you think he was adequately hydrated, he obviously wasn't.

Tell him to drink at least one gallon of water every day for three days before the next show.

The day before the gig replace half of the water with an electrolyte-based drink, like gatorade (try the G2, or better yet, Powerade Zero...he may have problems metabolizing the sugar content of regular Gatorade), and the day of job, nothing but electrolyte drinks, and protein-heavy foods like peanuts, beef jerky, etc. (eat some eggs and bacon for breakfast).

Needless to say...absolutely no alcohol.

Have him do a lot of extended warm-ups (not inside... he needs to do it in the heat), at home, both playing drums and stretching, during that time. Ice down the joints, afterwards.

Tell him to think of whole picture as akin to training for a marathon, or other endurance race.

• Members

doh! I get the same thing in my feet sometimes... after 4-5 hours of playing, and continual foot stomping .. definately bananas and oranges have helped me... along with a healthy supply of water most definately. ..

"ow, ow .. make it stop!"

Archived