PA Questio/Dilemma

sickman

• Members

When you weigh the advantages of running evertything through the mains - you'll never go back.

It's like a "happy accident" if you get a good mix running straight out of individual amps. I've never seen a scenario where someone just can't seem to hear themself (or one of the other players.)

Balanced mix aside, it's nice to be able to request a monitor mix - and review/learn from what your gig actually sounded like.

Yeah, I saw another band this weekend and they had everything mic'd. It sounded like a real band. They were more rehearsed, but that just comes with time. I already know once I get it how will I know the mix is good? I guess I get a long guitar cord and walk out in front once we start playing? Or get a buddy to come check it out.

• Members

I already know once I get it how will I know the mix is good? I guess I get a long guitar cord and walk out in front once we start playing? Or get a buddy to come check it out.

A decent sound guy out front is the ideal and is as valuable to a band as any other member if you can get one. Until we got to that point, I always used to walk out front on my guitar radio pack while we were sound checking to get an idea.

• Members

I haven't read the whole thread or anything, but here's my .02:

Passive is the way to go. Fewer working parts, and much harder to overload and fry during a gig. Peavey is my homeboy and I stand by their product. I've been using it for years - with the exception of a foray into the powered mains/monitors when they first came out.

Don't get me wrong, powered can be VERY convenient - until the internal amp takes a dump on the mains cab and you're f'ed until it can be replaced. Ever try replacing that? Good luck finding someone who'll do the work. And forget about doing it yourself if you like that warranty.

But anyway...

We run twin towers of SP1's (tops) and SP218's (subs) with SP series 15 inch monitors onstage. It all goes into a 24 channel Mackie board. There are some Peavey and Crown amps and whatnot, but I don't know all that much about that...

But guitars, bass, and vocal mics get a dedicated channel, while we mic 4+1 on the drums - again into their own channel.

Even in rooms with 500+ capacity, I rarely see overhead mics go up. If anything, I see more plexi shields in place to contain the drums so they can be directed a bit more effectively. As a matter of fact, the only times I've seen overheads in a live application is on TV. :idk:

Honest opinion:
If you go with Passive, you can slowly build and upgrade gear over time - repair costs are lower, but it is more user intensive. With Active, you have a large buy-in but and potentially higher repair costs - despite relative ease of use.

• Members
I haven't read the whole thread or anything, but here's my .02:

Passive is the way to go. Fewer working parts, and much harder to overload and fry during a gig. Peavey is my homeboy and I stand by their product. I've been using it for years - with the exception of a foray into the powered mains/monitors when they first came out.

Don't get me wrong, powered can be VERY convenient - until the internal amp takes a dump on the mains cab and you're f'ed until it can be replaced. Ever try replacing that? Good luck finding someone who'll do the work. And forget about doing it yourself if you like that warranty.

But anyway...

We run twin towers of SP1's (tops) and SP218's (subs) with SP series 15 inch monitors onstage. It all goes into a 24 channel Mackie board. There are some Peavey and Crown amps and whatnot, but I don't know all that much about that...

But guitars, bass, and vocal mics get a dedicated channel, while we mic 4+1 on the drums - again into their own channel.

Even in rooms with 500+ capacity, I rarely see overhead mics go up. If anything, I see more plexi shields in place to contain the drums so they can be directed a bit more effectively. As a matter of fact, the only times I've seen overheads in a live application is on TV.
:idk:

Honest opinion:

If you go with Passive, you can slowly build and upgrade gear over time - repair costs are lower, but it is more user intensive. With Active, you have a large buy-in but and potentially higher repair costs - despite relative ease of use.

Passive is not the way to go IMO. Passive is much easier to overload and fry on a gig. With powered speakers the internal amp is a perfect match so you don't need to worry about over-powering your speakers. Good powered speakers have internal processing. The manufacturers have spent a great deal of time and money to make the product sound good. For the guy just starting out you will have better results using powered cabs.

• Members

Man, most of that Seismic stuff looks like junk. Like lower level Madison stuff, and that's not a good thing. Something used would be a much better choice.

I would agree (judging from the eBay pics) if my drummer hadn't bought a pair of Seismic wedges. They sound great and have held up on a lot of gigs. As for the Madisons, I have a pair of their top-end 15" + crossover w/horn wedge monitors. After 5 years, the speakers still sound great. The only downside is the vinyl covering was kinda thin and didn't hold up. But a little black paint took care of that. Don't know about their new stuff.....

• Members

I already know once I get it how will I know the mix is good? I guess I get a long guitar cord and walk out in front once we start playing? Or get a buddy to come check it out.

I saw a guy in a small combo use a looper to play a repeating riff, then walk out into the room while the rest of the band played along with his loop. They had a great mix, and it looked really clever.

• Members

I use a wireless rig for soundchecks, even when we have our own sound man to do the mix. On the occasional gig where we do sound from the stage, I wander off a few times to make sure the mix doesn't change. Also: We always have a sidefill on my side with the FOH mix, in addition to the three monitor mixes.

PS: I'm also in the "passive is the way to go" camp.

• Members

I use a wireless rig for soundchecks, even when we have our own sound man to do the mix. On the occasional gig where we do sound from the stage, I wander off a few times to make sure the mix doesn't change. Also: We always have a sidefill on my side with the FOH mix, in addition to the three monitor mixes.

PS: I'm also in the "passive is the way to go" camp.

Wireless for the win. We usually place the board close to the stage or backstage in smaller venues (when we're playing by ourselves) and check the levels with wireless units across the venue. There's no easier way.

• Members

Germs, Whatever, For what its worth my EAW speakers do have a replaceable power section. I don't expect I will ever need it.:) In the years since you tried active boxes there have been many improvements and I still say that unless you really know your way around a processor you are better off going active.

• Members

I disagree totally with this. It isn't necessarily about besic volume of each instrument. It is just as much about a sane stage volume while still having the proper total volume to fill the room and also about proper balance and coverage throughout the whole room. Its been forever since I've seen a band not mic most things even in a 100 capacity venue. I certainly would have no interest in playing w/o miking. My simple 3-piece band uses 12 channels, and that is only because the drummer submixes and only uses a single stereo channel on the main mixer.

We mic only the vox -- occasionally kick and overheads -- and use a 500-watt powered mixer with passive mains and powered monitors (fed from the mixer's line-level "monitor" output); the keys player's monitor has an extra input, so he can add a little piano sound to his own monitor. (his ampl is quite directional.

Archived