Band Dilemma...Advice please!

• Members

When the drummer called, I'd have told him band issues should be brought up at practice in front of the entire band. No backdoor sh*t. If they've pulled this crap more than once I agree it's time to fire one (her) and be prepared to replace them both.

Nothing pisses me off more than somebody calling me the next day to bitch about something they didn't have the balls to bring to the entire group.

Had they done so on the spot and the rest of the group disagreed with the assessment, they would have had to accept that the criticism was crap and moved on, or at least had a frank discussion to settle the matter and put it behind you all rather than let it fester, like it's going to, until you or someone else puts an end to it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the Married couple in a band can work, but only if they are the leaders. Everyone else is a side man, and you play for them. In your case, where it's basically a Democratic arrangement, she's trying to take too many bites of the apple. First as a band member, then her husband's individual support as a band member, then as a voting bloc of her and her spouse... Sounds like there are ego/self esteem issues here that have to be worked out in a way that invites no more discussion. That might lead to someone quitting, but believe me, you will be better off.

• Members
You have THREE problems in your band:

That person needs to take charge and put all members in their place. Talk it out as a group, but you need a leader to make the final decision.

Totally agree. My wife , on keyboards and vocals, has several songs where the main singer joins in and drowns her out (takes over the spotlight)

• Members

Know what you mean, B1ackie. Our songs sometimes evolve onstage. Usually works out, but other times... Got a song where the vocal descends and the words are out of meter, like two measures of 6 against four. Just so cute the guys couldn't help but sing along. Well, it's hard to sing, it's hard to enunciate so it's understood, and I finally had to tell 'em to just shut up on that part.

Archived