practice question - vocals and keys?

mike-o

• Members

I've got the RX 1602 line mixer - had it for 5 years now, with no problems whatsoever.

That's actually a pretty good piece of kit, and the price is definitely right.

Can't agree more....the price is very nice.

And I've had no problems, as such......although once, just about to start a show and I was using one as a submixer for my keys and guitar when everything went quiet. I power cycled and all was well....never did find out what happened!?

• Members

sooner or later they will need a mixer.... bang for the buck aside. I went the 8 hole mixer with FXs and a powered speaker. Since then I have added a couple more powered speakers. Now i have a PA system thats workable for most bar type gigs. You can put the fire out cheap with a keyboard amp ,, but you still need the pa later down the road.

• Members

sooner or later they will need a mixer.... bang for the buck aside. I went the 8 hole mixer with FXs and a powered speaker. Since then I have added a couple more powered speakers. Now i have a PA system thats workable for most bar type gigs. You can put the fire out cheap with a keyboard amp ,, but you still need the pa later down the road.

True enough, but it sounds like this is just kind of a jam session.

PA's ain't worth a {censored} if the band never gigs.

• Members

I'm gonna have to defend Behringer here.

My band has used an 8-channel Behringer powered mixer for nearly 4 years and it always works. It's been rained on, dropped, squished by an 8x10 bass cabinet and it still works perfectly. It is pushed to its limit probably 3-4 nights a week for a few hours at a time and keeps on working.

Say what you will about its built in effects (many are laughable) but for $300 brand new, it's reliability is unbelievable.

• Members

Reread the thread. He's looking for something for VOCALS and possibly keyboards.

The amps we've discussed have an XLR for vocals.

You don't see tens of thousands of singers singing through keyboard amps unless they have absolutely no other choice.

...at a paying gig.

Not the case, here.

I play keyboards through a keyboard amp too (Traynor K4) but I wouldn't want my singer sharing it with me and expecting to sound good.

That's because you're at a paying gig. Not a small rehearsal where you're on a tight budget, and need something portable.

Look...I've demo'd the piece at the music store I used to work at.

It actually sounds very good (much clearer than a Roland KC550, and light years beyond any PV I've ever heard), and the vocal doesn't sound buried or washed out by the keys...the eq bands are well-chosen (flat, or even a little bump up, in the middle frequency, and your vocal is nicely slotted), and the amp has enough power not to fart out all the way up to almost 8.5 on the volume, even with bass and drum tracks playing...pull back the low mids a bit, and the piano and bass sounds aren't muddy, in the least.

It's got a feedback buster,

If I had two of them, I wouldn't be afraid at all to do a cozy supper club-type or small pub solo gig with 'em. It's got a slave out for true stereo, and as far as it being useful, in a band upgrade, it's got a line out.

It's got a dedicated cd/aux input so they can practice with songs, and headphone jack...hell...ehat's not to like about it at that price point?

({censored} I sound like I'm a gear-pimpin' retail salesman again :()

It's not a Barbetta, Traynor, or Motion Sound, by any means, but at $300, it's not supposed to be, is it? :idk:

What kind of small pa can you get for $300?

A Behringer mini-mixer and a PV powered monitor, or one of those horrid Phonic Power Pod deals.

I'm not downing the mini PA idea...that's what I use myself.

I've got a Mackie 808M and use either two EV Sx-100's or two Yamaha CLub S15IV's, depending on how much low end and projection I need.

But then...I am gigging almost every weekend at everything from a small club to a 1500 seat ballroom.

• Members

My band has used an 8-channel Behringer powered mixer for nearly 4 years and it
always
works. It's been rained on, dropped, squished by an 8x10 bass cabinet and it still works perfectly. It is pushed to its limit probably 3-4 nights a week for a few hours at a time and keeps on working.

Say what you will about its built in effects (many are laughable) but for $300 brand new, it's reliability is unbelievable.

Yeah, this little side band I occasionally play with uses a Behringer PMP3000 which is a table top powered mixer with 16 total inputs/eight XLR input.

It supposedly make 600w a side @ 4 ohms, which is what we run it at, but it probably makes 2/3 of that, at best.

Still...it sounds ultra-{censored}ing clean...is incredibly easy to dial in, and has that FBQ, which actually works...and it's just $450.

If my Mackie 808 ever dies on me...I would probably buy one of those.

• Members

The amps we've discussed have an XLR for vocals.

...at a paying gig.

Not the case, here.

That's because you're at a paying gig. Not a small rehearsal where you're on a tight budget, and need something portable.

Look...I've demo'd the piece at the music store I used to work at.

It actually sounds very good (much clearer than a Roland KC550, and light years beyond any PV I've ever heard), and the vocal doesn't sound buried or washed out by the keys...the eq bands are well-chosen (flat, or even a little bump up, in the middle frequency, and your vocal is nicely slotted), and the amp has enough power not to fart out all the way up to almost 8.5 on the volume, even with bass and drum tracks playing...pull back the low mids a bit, and the piano and bass sounds aren't muddy, in the least.

It's got a feedback buster,

If I had two of them, I wouldn't be afraid at all to do a cozy supper club-type or small pub solo gig with 'em. It's got a slave out for true stereo, and as far as it being useful, in a band upgrade, it's got a line out.

It's got a dedicated cd/aux input so they can practice with songs, and headphone jack...hell...ehat's not to like about it at that price point?

({censored} I sound like I'm a gear-pimpin' retail salesman again
:(
)

It's not a Barbetta, Traynor, or Motion Sound, by any means, but at $300, it's not supposed to be, is it?
:idk:

What kind of small pa can you get for $300?

A Behringer mini-mixer and a PV powered monitor, or one of those horrid Phonic Power Pod deals.

I'm not downing the mini PA idea...that's what I use myself.

I've got a Mackie 808M and use either two EV Sx-100's or two Yamaha CLub S15IV's, depending on how much low end and projection I need.

But then...I am gigging almost every weekend at everything from a small club to a 1500 seat ballroom.

Go back and read the OP. He never said he wasn't going to gig and he didn't specify a budget let alone a $300 max. This is from the OP.

"So, I was thinking maybe we would send the vocals (including background vocals) through XLR ports on a mixer and the keys through stereo inputs on the mixer and send a signal to a cheap, relatively low-powered 2 speaker PA or something?"

He's asking about a mixer and speakers. No matter how you look at it, that's a better solution for vocals, a decent solution for keys (assuming the keys player doesn't have an amp) and a better long term solution for growth. Not sure why you're so hung up on a sub-optimal solution.

Since he hasn't been back, the whole discussion is probably moot anyway.

• Members

My band has used an 8-channel Behringer powered mixer for nearly 4 years and it
always
works. It's been rained on, dropped, squished by an 8x10 bass cabinet and it still works perfectly. It is pushed to its limit probably 3-4 nights a week for a few hours at a time and keeps on working.

Stagebandit has a Behrenger powered mixer too, AFAIK it is still working- but I think the effects or something crapped out. A bass player in my country band showed up with a borrowed Behringer head (he never owned his own rig) and it crapped out after one night. But he pretty much blew up everything he touched anyway.

• Members

So Cooter are you trying to say that you use a mackie powered mixer and a pair of yamahas to cover a 1500 seat room. That is just wrong on so many levels.
:)

That's my backline for my keys.

backline.jpg

What I meant by "needing more projection" is whether my backline is five feet or fifteen feet behind *me*, not the audience.

• Members
That's my
backline
for my keys.

backline.jpg

What I meant by "needing more projection" is whether my backline is five feet or fifteen feet behind *me*, not the audience.

That whole set-up is just for keys? or the two Yamaha's driven by the Mackie?

• Members
You're jealous, aren't you?
:p

Well - as much as I love the tone from a Marshall half-stack, my ears are still hurting from the last gig I played with a guitarist who used one. He isn't a fan of micing cabinets - he likes massive stage volume. He and I have a different view of what an appropriate stage volume is... And of course, he is normally positioned on stage near me (the keyboard player)....

Oh well. When I'm old and can't hear I'll just drink more to make up for it.

• Members

Well - as much as I love the tone from a Marshall half-stack, my ears are still hurting from the last gig I played with a guitarist who used one. He isn't a fan of micing cabinets - he likes massive stage volume.

It's actually not even plugged in. It's just an interesting-looking way to get the Rivera up closer to ear-level. :o

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Don't get a keyboard amp. Get a decent powered speaker. If we're talking Behringer, this one would work. What's your budget?

As your PA grows, it could make an passable main or a decent monitor.

I would think your keyboard player should have some kind of amp.

If your keys have stereo output, I think it makes more sense to have a stereo PA. Aren't most "keyboard" amps mono?

Anyway, I bought two of the B215As for my Yamaha Motif L&R outputs. I like them, except the highs seem a little weak ... my Jerry Lee Lewis Piano solos lose some punch at the 88th key! Maybe some EQ will help, I haven't gotten that far yet.

• Members

For practice - we bought a little Yamaha self powered mixer - which we use with a pair of monitor speakers. It's enough to run vocals, sax and keys through - with the guitar player and bass player using small combo amps for their own stuff. We've used this rig for a couple of "alternative" line-up gigs in tiny venues - and had it work pretty well. For basement practices - it works great.

This is the amp we're using: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-EMX312SC-12-Channel-Powered-Mixer-103246187-i1153378.gc

Archived