Music Video on the cheap?

dcware

• Members

REM made some videos with a super8 movie camera that defined the art of video at their time. They were grainy, out-of-focus, and were a perfect mood for the songs. Outside of captions and synchronizing to music, they probably spent about $25.

I have seen great stuff made with construction paper, cheap computer animation, clay, etc. That one with the guys on the treadmills was brilliant and cheap.

Dig around on youtube for ideas. Look at public domain film clips. Buy or borrow half a dozen flips, let fans use them and then edit. Draw pictures on a tablet and record. Give your children brooms and have them mime to the song.

oldMattB

• Members

I have software on my Mac called Final Cut Express. It cost me $200.00.

If you find a nice digital camera and are willing to put the hours in that it takes to learn how to edit video, you can produce VERY quality video.

But there is definitely a learning curve to get through...

• Members

You get what you pay for.

+100 We went on the cheap once and had only OK video and very poor audio quality stuff. We ended up doing a live shoot with seperate video and audio recordings and that was much better.

I suggest you spend as much as you can possibly scrap together. Look around in your area and get samples, references, etc. It's a major PITA to put it together and you want to get a good result the first time out.

• Members

If you want some artsy video, go to a filmschool, and search for some kid with good ideas.

You will (should) have to pay for production costs, (food, tapes, transportation). But since I was "that" student a while ago, I can tell a lot of our results were much better and cheaper than a lot of so called "pros".

Be sure you see some work beforehand, some (lots of) students believe they are the next Orson Welles, and will waste a lot of time doing crap you will hate.

You want creative, fast, down to earth workers. (Try to find some guerilla filmmaking crew.)

If you want a live or concert video, then hire some pro. Being a one event thing, it should not be that expensive to hire decent people to do this.

Archived