A semi-famous band loves my band

• Members

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my excitement somewhere -- last night we did an opening set for this band called Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, they came to our school and we were the first band. They're relatively big, signed to Polyvinyl, play pretty big rooms on tour, etc. Anyways, one of the lead guys, Phil, could not stop gushing about us afterwards; how we were A+, one of the best sets he'd seen in a long time, how he liked the set better than he liked the new Radiohead cd, blah blah blah.

Obviously it'd be sweet if he somehow repeated those statements to some of his 'bosses', but either way it's awesome to get that kind of affirmation from someone you respect in the field.

Sorry for the 'bragging', but i just wanted to share this, see if anyone had similar stories.

• Members

That's cool. In my own experience, it's the guy at the bar who's been downing Jaegermeister all night that thinks I'm the next incarnation of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

that is a great feeling to hear praise from bands bigger than you. Last year we did a benefit with a bunch of bands. The headliner was a party rock band that tours the eastern US. They flooded us with praise after our set. very cool.

but Usually we get some drunk at the end of the night saying something like: Wow! you guys are just as good as (INSERT POPULAR COVER BAND FROM 10 YEARS AGO)

thanks... I think.

• Members

I love Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin. Great props from a great band, hopefully it'll create some opportunities!

Yeah, I feel like the "musician's code" keeps me from directly asking for any 'favors', like "hey, you should send this to Polyvinyl", or "hey, do you guys need an opener for a tour?", but it'd be really, really nice for that to happen. This is the highest 'contact' i've ever made, so hopefully something comes of it.

• Members

I did a search for them on youtube, found them, and liked them very, very much. Still, there's no longer a viable market for power popish guitar bass/drum music. My favorite, but it's been Knacked/Outfield/Fastballed/Semisoniced out.

• Members

I did a search for them on youtube, found them, and liked them very, very much. Still, there's no longer a viable market for power popish guitar bass/drum music. My favorite, but it's been Knacked/Outfield/Fastballed/Semisoniced out.

Not sure that I agree. May not make it on the radio (what does, these days), but there still is an audience for power pop. OP, congrats on the props, and now I have another band to explore.

js

• Members

The're a really great band, based on what's come up on my Pandora player in the past. Always get the thumbs up!

In my experience most touring bands, once they get to a certain level (i.e signed to a moderate sized indie level or higher) don't really even seem to pay attention to the opening bands. It seems the smaller draw they have, the more they are likely to actually watch the opening band play/chat with folks at the show, rather than just hang out in the green room until it's time to play.

• Members

That is beyond cool, and makes me want to hear your band. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin are great.

I think to some extent power pop is alive in the mass market, but it isn't really pure. It almost has to lean toward pop-punk/emo stuff, and be unafraid to (on occasion) incorporate urban influences. But Weezer's still having radio hits, so that's something. The All-American Rejects and Jimmy Eat World border on power pop every now and then. And there's Green Day (who aren't quite jangly enough)...and the Jonas Brothers (ha ha ha)

I don't think it's fair to blame The Knack, The Outfield, Fastball, or Semisonic for the demise of mass market power pop. They all wrote some great songs, a few of which happened to end up on the radio.

I have a feeling it'll come back around, though, so you might be timing this just right.

When it's intelligent, I love hip-hop, but most of the modern dreck, along with heaping helpings of Antares' Auto-Tune, have absolutely ruined pop radio, making it nearly impossible for power poppy melodic bands to have hits or mass market exposure anymore.

In my perfect world, Sloan, Superdrag, Fountains of Wayne, The Odds, and Jellyfish would be on the radio all day.

Felt like sharing, sorry. Congrats again on the kudos.

Brian V.

• Members

That's cool. In my own experience, it's the guy at the bar who's been downing Jaegermeister all night that thinks I'm the next incarnation of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Too funny. I just had a drunk guy last friday night tell me that if clapton ever heard my solo in white room, he'd never play the song again.

Yea, right- perhaps if he simultaneously lost the use of both hands!

• Members

In my perfect world, Sloan, Superdrag, Fountains of Wayne, The Odds, and Jellyfish would be on the radio all day.

Brian V.

Geez, we need to be in the same band, but there's half a continent in between. Question - how did a guy in Texas find out about The Odds?

js

• Members

Geez, we need to be in the same band, but there's half a continent in between. Question - how did a guy in Texas find out about The Odds?

js

When I lived in Pennsylvania I was a huge fan of "The Kids In The Hall", so I knew about The Odds' song "Heterosexual Man" from that, and a couple years later I was at my Granny's house on Long Island and saw the video for "Someone Who's Cool" on Much Music (back when they carried it on some US cable outlets) and immediately went out and bought "Nest". I used to play them and Sloan a lot on my college radio show.

I was really excited that they got most of the band back together, and I really wanted to go on that Ships & Dip cruise this year, because BNL, Sloan, and The Odds, three of my favorite (should I type "favourite" when talking about Canadians?) bands, and Sarah McLachlan were going to be there.

Anyway...I'm a Canadaphile. I'm not afraid to admit it. I visited Toronto when I was 13, and absolutely loved it. Met cute girls from Mississauga and St. Catherines who were super nice to me...it was just a wonderful experience.

Brian V.

• Members

I was really excited that they got most of the band back together, and I really wanted to go on that Ships & Dip cruise this year, because BNL, Sloan, and The Odds, three of my favorite (should I type "favourite" when talking about Canadians?) bands, and Sarah McLachlan were going to be there.

I saw the reconstituted Odds (then the New Odds) who were working out the kinks by playing in small bars. They played in this cover band bar in outer suburbia to about 40 people, with about 20 people who knew who they were. Great to hear the old songs again.

You can type "favorite", as we in Canada have largely been worn down by nagging US based spell checkers.

Might be interesting to trade off lists of bands - maybe come across something that I don't know. BTW, check out Tinted Windows (http://www.tintedwindowsmusic.com/) which answers the question, "What do you get if you add Smashing Pumpkins, Fountains of Wayne, Cheap Trick and Hanson?"

js

• Members

Congrats to the OP! It's always a pleasure playing for a great band and hearing something good from them. My band's 2nd show was with the reformed 27-Spyz in support of their new album, and Jimi Hazel and Rick Skatore both pulled us aside separately to say they really dug our tunes and thought we had something great going on. Coming from innovators like them, we were on Cloud 9!

Kudos, bro! :thu:

• Members

I saw the reconstituted Odds (then the New Odds) who were working out the kinks by playing in small bars. They played in this cover band bar in outer suburbia to about 40 people, with about 20 people who knew who they were. Great to hear the old songs again.

You can type "favorite", as we in Canada have largely been worn down by nagging US based spell checkers.

Might be interesting to trade off lists of bands - maybe come across something that I don't know. BTW, check out Tinted Windows (
) which answers the question, "What do you get if you add Smashing Pumpkins, Fountains of Wayne, Cheap Trick and Hanson?"

js

I live in Austin and didn't know Tinted Windows was playing at SXSW (I have no clue how I missed it), so I didn't get to see them when they were here. I felt like a complete asshole. I missed Superdrag, too, because I was booked the night they played and had to work so I missed the day parties. GRRR!

I do have DirecTV, though, so when they were broadcasting the SXSW coverage, one of the shows was Tinted Windows - it wasn't bad, but it didn't rock quite hard enough for me. I have a lot of respect of everyone in that band (especially Adam and Bun E. Carlos), and the songs were good, but they're obviously still figuring out how to be a live band together.

I'm super jealous that you saw the new Odds in a tiny little place. That's just cool.

Brian V.

• Members

related note. Apparently last tuesday during my solo acoustic show Monte Montgomery, who a lot of the guitarists on this board will know, was talking to a friend of mine in the street when he paused and listened to my set from the rooftop. He told my buddy that my solo acoustic show was the funniest thing he'd ever heard and if at all possible we was coming to my next full band show.

Archived