Great singers w/horrible stage presence

• Members

What is the best way to tell your singer that watching their live performances is like watching golf on tv? Here is my situation... I am in a coverband that has two lead singers one male and one female. Our male singer has great stage presence and really gets into the music wheras our female singer is extremely self-conscience and generally has the "deer in headlights" look. Since the female singer demands equal spotlight time our songs are arranged as male/female/male/female/etc. but by doing this we lose our momentum with the crowd from going up and down preformance and energy wise. Anybody else experience anything similar to this and what's your opinions on how to handle it?

• Members

MAke a video, force her to watch it? Not like tie her down or anything, but make it clear what is going on. In the meantime, make it more like a 70/30 split with the male vocalist until she can get up to speed. Maybe steer her towards some good clips on youtube to geta abtter feel for what afornt person should be doing.

And if all else fails, and you wantto keep her, get her a tambourine :)

• Members

What is the best way to tell your singer that watching their live performances is like watching golf on tv? Here is my situation... I am in a coverband that has two lead singers one male and one female. Our male singer has great stage presence and really gets into the music wheras our female singer is extremely self-conscience and generally has the "deer in headlights" look. Since the female singer demands equal spotlight time our songs are arranged as male/female/male/female/etc. but by doing this we lose our momentum with the crowd from going up and down preformance and energy wise. Anybody else experience anything similar to this and what's your opinions on how to handle it?

My initial question is how one person gets to "demand" how you arrange your entire show? Even if it were her band, it still shouldn't work that way.

As with every other question on problems with band mates, is there ever a solution other than sit down and discuss with her in a diplomatic manner- offering specific details and then as a band try to come up with ways to improve. If she is unwilling to try to improve or compromise on her position, your choice is to part ways or learn to live with it.

• Members

Is it her stage presence or is it the choice of material she sings? Morrison used to sing with his back to the audience, but the material was compelling enough to compensate for it.

Perhaps she just needs better material. Perhaps that's where the rest of the band comes in. Is it possible that, since you're not as confident in her presence to keep your audience, that maybe you all kinda step back as well?

Maybe, for her songs, you should take the position of entertaining the crowd. Sounds like she's much more comfortable just 'being the singer' instead of the focal point of the performance. If she can't (or won't), someone else should step up to the plate.

Hey, she's doing her job - she's singing. If you want her to spin plates and juggle chainsaws at the same time, that takes some work. Not everyone can do it.

Archived