just curious

Kramerguy

• Members

Sure... but but in both cases there exists a familiarity. Our mashups go over because people know both songs.
Your congo solo goes over because its in a song that people know.
Now, there ARE going to be people at corporate events who want to hear originals but overall people want to hear music they recognize.

I don't think that's what he said...

They don't care that
his solo came in a tune they never heard before
-they just know that this guy is about the best conga player they have ever seen live.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I meant that the audience is more receptive to hearing the solo because it comes in a song they know. They are "primed", so to speak. But also, I don't really view a congo solo in a cover the same as playing an original. Do you? I think to the general public, songs are basically 80% vocals and lyrics and 20% everything else so if that 80% is unfamiliar you are starting on shaky ground.

• Members

I meant that the audience is more receptive to hearing the solo because it comes in a song they know. They are "primed", so to speak. But also, I don't really view a congo solo in a cover the same as playing an original. Do you? I think to the general public, songs are basically 80% vocals and lyrics and 20% everything else so if that 80% is unfamiliar you are starting on shaky ground.

austin ,, with all due respects. I really just dont think you get it. The ideal thing with origninal music is to have it fit seamless into a cover set and have people never lose the groove. That means your original work measures up to proven cover songs that have been hits. If all you do is originals ,,, the people should not have to lower their musical bar to listen to an original band. No one cares if you wrote it or not. They care how good it is ,, and if it give them that happy feet feeling. Its not covers vs originals... Its more like space says sucks vs doesnt suck. You dont get extra points or the bar lowered for original material. After all , ,mustang sally was an un known original song at one time ,, as were the rest of those worn thin crowd pleasers.

• Members
austin ,, with all due respects. I really just dont think you get it. The ideal thing with origninal music is to have it fit seamless into a cover set and have people never lose the groove. That means your original work measures up to proven cover songs that have been hits. If all you do is originals ,,, the people should not have to lower their musical bar to listen to an original band. No one cares if you wrote it or not. They care how good it is ,, and if it give them that happy feet feeling. Its not covers vs originals... Its more like space says sucks vs doesnt suck. You dont get extra points or the bar lowered for original material. After all , ,mustang sally was an un known original song at one time ,, as were the rest of those worn thin crowd pleasers.

I'll just respectfully agree to disagree with you as I don't think either of us are going to change our minds on this matter.

• Members

I'll just respectfully agree to disagree with you as I don't think either of us are going to change our minds on this matter.

Probably not, but I agree with Rhat, for what that's worth. I play originals and covers mixed together, and when after playing one of my songs, the dance floor stays packed and people come up and ask who that song was by, I know I've done okay. :cool:

If it clears the floor and people talk through it, not so much. :cry:

But It doesn't mean you're wrong. :thu:

• Members
Probably not, but I agree with Rhat, for what that's worth. I play originals and covers mixed together, and when after playing one of my songs, the dance floor stays packed and people come up and ask who that song was by, I know I've done okay.
:cool:

If it clears the floor and people talk through it, not so much.
:cry:

But It doesn't mean you're wrong.
:thu:

I didn't say that I disagreed with playing originals, I said that certain gigs are not the place for them and I disagreed with the "depends on how good they are" argument. Because we're all into analogies I'll put it this way:

1)A friend opens a Italian restaurant. You say that you like salmon with lemon relish. He make salmon with capers and lemon butter instead. Since he is your friend and he invited you and the food happens to be great you don't care. You went into the restaurant to check out your friend's dining experience and that's what you experienced.
2) Its your wedding anniversary. You take your wife to the nicest Italian restaurant in town. You order your favorite dish, which is salmon basilico pomodoro. Instead, the waiter brings you Salmon Alla Toscana because the chef makes the best in the country. The Salmon Alla Toscana IS amazing and tastes great but you're not 100% happy because it isn't what you ordered and you're unhappy that the restaurant presumed what was good for you. You paid a lot for the meal and you want what you ordered.

In other words, if you are hired to play covers, play covers. If you are hired to play music, play music. Its not a matter of how "good" your originals are, its a matter of doing what you are paid to do because some gigs are a lot more like jobs than they are like concerts.

-and all of a sudden, I really REALLY want some Italian salmon.

• Members
The ideal thing with origninal music is to have it fit seamless into a cover set and have people never lose the groove. That means your original work measures up to proven cover songs that have been hits. If all you do is originals ,,, the people should not have to lower their musical bar to listen to an original band. No one cares if you wrote it or not. They care how good it is ,, and if it give them that happy feet feeling. Its not covers vs originals... Its more like space says sucks vs doesnt suck. You dont get extra points or the bar lowered for original material. After all , ,mustang sally was an un known original song at one time ,, as were the rest of those worn thin crowd pleasers.

Rhat, that is exactly the point I was trying to make on another thread (and on this one earlier. Only thing is I'm too clumsy to say it like that :thu:

What's with the ill fitting analogies? Music is nothing like food people hire musicians to play music, it's an art that lives and breathes and is different at every gig.
Food is a craft, everything has to be as similar as possible, as you stated, you can't really improvise a dish without changing what the customer expects.

Weddings are a different gig to bar and club gigs. I'm sure Rhat and Bluestrat don't pull out originals at weddings unless they're sure they'll go down well having been tested in a load of clubs. Anyway, I don't think they're talking about putting originals in a wedding set, they're talking about just normal bars an clubs.

In other words, if you are hired to play covers, play covers. If you are hired to play music, play music. Its not a matter of how "good" your originals are, its a matter of doing what you are paid to do because some gigs are a lot more like jobs than they are like concerts.

This can sometimes be true, if you're booked by a punter who likes your live set with your originals after they saw you in a club last week, they're going to be disappointed if you don't play them. You have to figure out exactly what your customer wants.

• Members

What it comes down to is that the original vs cover typically sorts itself out if an original song is good enough.

The CD full of original songs written by Mickey, we played last winter at a jam band night, in texas is now number 33 on the country chart of this tracking service. http://www.rootsmusicreport.com/2.0/charts.php?name=tradcountry&pf=yes

I think his stuff is pretty safe to play anywhere ,, including a south padre island wedding or one in detroit. I guess thats what i love about the tip of texas so much.. They just do things island style ,, and if it makes us happy ,,, thats good enough. Mikey is a real nice guy and a great talent.. he payed his dues and is reaping the success. Who knows ,,, some buffet band on some hunk of sand somewhere might be covering his song. Its all about good and always has been.

• Members

I didn't say that I disagreed with playing originals, I said that certain gigs are not the place for them and I disagreed with the "depends on how good they are" argument. Because we're all into analogies I'll put it this way:

1)A friend opens a Italian restaurant. You say that you like salmon with lemon relish. He make salmon with capers and lemon butter instead. Since he is your friend and he invited you and the food happens to be great you don't care. You went into the restaurant to check out your friend's dining experience and that's what you experienced.

2) Its your wedding anniversary. You take your wife to the nicest Italian restaurant in town. You order your favorite dish, which is salmon basilico pomodoro. Instead, the waiter brings you Salmon Alla Toscana because the chef makes the best in the country. The Salmon Alla Toscana IS amazing and tastes great but you're not 100% happy because it isn't what you ordered and you're unhappy that the restaurant presumed what was good for you. You paid a lot for the meal and you want what you ordered.

-and all of a sudden, I really REALLY want some Italian salmon.

I wouldn't know, I guess. I have never played a single cover gig in 38 years that didn't allow me to play originals mixed in, so I can't relate to the analogy. :idk:

• Members

Well then we are kinda screwed because we play original instrumentals, then let the conga guy go nuts on his solos in those tunes. The fact that the solo comes in one of our tunes has little to do with the excitement he creates. The only way they know the song is if they heard us before which is rare at a coroporate. My point is it all can work if it's good, be it a corporate or other type of gig.

Archived