Your own vocals

tbry

• Members

Hello, new to this part of HC...A question...how do you really know if your voice is good?...or at least decent?...not trying to be the next big thing...just how can you be objective and really know your not horrible but no one wants to tell you...you know what I mean?...

Like the people on American Idol...some are just aweful but they think they can sing....so on a more personal level for people here...this includes me...how do you know your at least ok...music is a little diff an easier to say that something was played well...but a vocal and it happens to be yours...how do you know?...it is hard for me to evaluate myself...sometimes I think it sounds pretty good...I will listen to my recording over and over and think it sounds good...then much later think just ok maybe or even worse...!!Thanks in advance for any replies:)

• Members

Listening to yourself is a good start, to be sure. The problem with that is you will hear what you want to hear - it's common sense.

Getting individuals who have no connection with you (in other words, won't tell you things you want to hear because they're your friends, or don't want to hurt your feelings) is a really good way to check your level of singing (or playing, or whatever). Some people record small samples of their songs and post them in groups like this - the problem with doing that is there's usually some lunkhead who thinks it's "funny" to tear down someone. It makes them feel superior in some strange way. Then again, if you're truly looking for objective review, you have to be able to withstand criticism and take suggestions in the spirit they're offered.

You might consider watching these boards for a little while, deciding who you think might be an objective listening ear, then PM them and ask if they could privately critique your technique. This way, you're not throwing it out on the floor and seeing who will pick it up and who will stomp all over it in the name of "wit".

Everyone's nervous about their voice because, as you said, you just don't know if it's good or not and you don't want to get stomped unnecessarily. There are untrained voices here (like myself), there are teachers, there are real pros, there are weekend warriors, there are newbies, there are 'funny guys' - HC runs the gamut. Lurk for a while and see who strikes you as a reasonable, respectful person and then make contact.

Good luck! :thu:

• Members

Good monitoring, watching the audience and listening to their feedback.

Last gig I got lot's of compliments, but tru my excellent IEM I knew I had some annoying glitches into falsetto which was a bit annoying. Nobody commented this, but a guy commented on another tune where I didn't have that problem. He kept saying that I should avoid that tune, and I kept asking why without getting answers to what exactly I did wrong. He couldn't put the finger on it, but said I'd better stay away from that music style. So I told him that I could almost not sing 4 years ago and if I'd had that attitude he tried to give me then, I couldn't yell out AC/DC and Bruce Dickinson today. I told him anyone can do anything if they work hard enough, then he smiled and said "I like that one"!

Listen to constructive critics, but don't take it for the truth until several say the same thing. There is lot's of opinions and very little facts....

• Members

You might consider watching these boards for a little while, deciding who you think might be an objective listening ear, then PM them and ask if they could privately critique your technique. This way, you're not throwing it out on the floor and seeing who will pick it up and who will stomp all over it in the name of "wit".

That is a real good idea...you know mom thinks your good...and your wife has to live with ya...so she is biased...and even people on the internet in a forum will usually say ..."hey your doing good"...which is nice because they don't want to get hammered when its their turn...and really it should be that way to some degree because I think we are all learning and trying to do our best...heck I try to be as diplomatic as I can and appreciate that in return but how do you really know if at least your not sending people up a wall?...

The PM idea is good...that way a little help behind the scenes can give an more objective crit...I like that idea...thanks:)

• Members

There is something that can be measured, pitch accuracy and rhythm precision using software. If those parameters are bad you sound bad. If they are goodthere is big chance you sound good unless you have a nasty nasal voice or something.

Archived