Since everybody downloads for free now, why not have the bands play for free?

• Members

:facepalm:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/muc/1430591923.html

We will let you perform for us for free (Orange Park)

Date: 2009-10-20, 9:26PM EDT

Reply to: see below

The new Orange Park Farmers and Arts Market is every Saturday from 10am to 2pm. If you have a talent or a band that is wanting to get more experience and showcase themselves, we will let you perform at our market. Call Martin at 236 XXXX

• Members

Hmm, well maybe it would be worth it if you set up a stand there to sell your band's CD and other merchandise. The live music would be a free sample, just like the farm stands that offer free food samples to try and get people to buy their stuff. You could also put out a jar/hat/guitar case and consider it busking.

• Members

I could see an acoustic act, maybe country/bluegrass/folk or something along those lines, would possibly be a good choice for such an event, for the purpose of promotion and selling CDs.

Could you imagine a metal band doing that? I'd get up early just to see it. And to get some farmer's cheese. :thu:

• Members

I hate to bring you down but here in Tampa Bay Farmer's Markets are big time. There is one Market that will pay a band $100 for a 45 minute audition. The bands must have a track record and the pay is serious for a morning gig. Most bands are small, some original and acoustic rock.

No metal.

• Members

I hate to bring you down but here in Tampa Bay Farmer's Markets are big time. There is one Market that will pay a band $100 for a 45 minute audition. The bands must have a track record and the pay is serious for a morning gig. Most bands are small, some original and acoustic rock.

No metal.

The Craigslist ad said "We will let you perform for FREE." :poke:

• Members

Honestly, I'd have no problem playing for free for 2 hours *IF* someone else set up all the gear and I could find other good musicians to play with. Problem is the only people that would consider playing for free can't play 2 hours worth of music -- covers or originals. My band would never go for it.

I'm younger than most of you guys though so I'm still looking to play as much as time permits, which isn't a lot these days.

• Members

"These watermelon look excellent honey, and that guy has hand knitted scarves that his wife makes. Look over there - an Amish furniture booth, and right next to them is a drop C metal band playing originals and selling merch!"

I actually saw that happening in my deranged little mind. Good job.

• Members

No metal.

Well, sure. The farmer's market here pays about $150 plus tips. The point is, they PAY guys to get up at 8 AM on Saturday and drag their gear out and set up on a pitifully small outdoor stage (if they even have one). The criagslist post wants free music played on free gear for FOUR HOURS. What's even worse is the attitude expressed:

If you have a talent or a band that is wanting to get more experience and showcase themselves, we will let you perform at our market.

Gee, you'll let someone play for free for half a day? :facepalm:

• Members

Ha! My wife is from Jacksonville and I've been to this place before when visiting her parents for Christmas. Years ago we stopped in for the "flea market" part of the place. They had a sh*tty little circus performing and the guy had 5 or 6 full grown Bengal Tigers in these tiny little rusted cages!

It looked like one of the tigers had an infected claw and needed medical attention. I lost my f*cking mind and started a near riot. I'm not some animal rights lunatic or anything, it was just so f*cking wrong I wanted to kill those f*ckers on the spot!

• Members

I have to confess - I've done a little acoustic jazz duo work busking at the local Farmer's Market. I usually go home with about $25 in dollar bills and quarters, a fresh head of lettuce, a nice loaf of bread, a couple ripe tomatoes, and a fuzzy warm feeling (in addition to the caffeine buzz from the free coffees from the latte stand in the next booth).

The merchants usually have to pay a little for their spot. The organizers at least don't make us pay. I definitely wouldn't do it otherwise.

Nice break from the Saturday night raucousness of playing loud and hard and late at night.

• Members

No metal.

Which proves what a hillbilly area this is. The CL daily postings don't help.

My friend who plays guitar and teaches in Orlando thinks THAT town is backward, but it's NYC compared to Jax. Of all the towns in Florida, Jacksonville has the fewest complete sets of teeth.

• Members

But to put out and ad "we will LET you play..." just reeks.

Yeah, I gotta agree, they've got the wrong attitude about it. OK, I decided I won't play there. And not just because it's like 3000 miles away and I get to do it for free, either.

• Members

Which proves what a hillbilly area this is. The CL daily postings don't help.

My friend who plays guitar and teaches in Orlando thinks THAT town is backward, but it's NYC compared to Jax. Of all the towns in Florida, Jacksonville has the fewest complete sets of teeth.

I think Green Cove Springs (and all their meth heads) might disagree... ;)

Or Yulee, Callahan, Starke...take your pick!

I miss my family and friends, but I don't really miss living in North Florida...such potent and concentrated stupidity (the people in Callahan are nice, though).

Brian V.

• Members

BlueStrat and musicmanmu what are you saying ????

I understand quite well what the ad said from the op. They will let a band play for free. I understand that. I was commenting on how {censored}e*y the situation was and how grateful I am to be where I am. Yes, they want bands to play for free.

What did I miss ?

• Members

I think Green Cove Springs (and all their meth heads) might disagree...
;)

Or Yulee, Callahan, Starke...take your pick!

I miss my family and friends, but I don't really miss living in North Florida...such potent and concentrated stupidity (the people in Callahan are nice, though).

Brian V.

:eek: hey hey, watch it I live in Yulee. I lived in Jax for 10 yrs and I'll take Yulee/Fernandina over it any day. Although you cant seem to get away from morons no matter where you go. The chick living next door is psycho, paranoid schitzo and unlike my band she really is bipolar. I get to listen to her and her boyfriend screaming at each other every night :facepalm:

anyway, yeh, gotta love the Jax CL ad's "We'll let you play for free" LMFAO

wow, how generous of you and at the flea market no less. Sweet, I can go around my house , find a bunch of {censored} nobody wants and set it up in front of us for sale.

• Members

:eek:
hey hey, watch it I live in Yulee. I lived in Jax for 10 yrs and I'll take Yulee/Fernandina over it any day. Although you cant seem to get away from morons no matter where you go. The chick living next door is psycho, paranoid schitzo and unlike my band she really is bipolar. I get to listen to her and her boyfriend screaming at each other every night
:facepalm:

There are some really great people I know in Yulee, and it's not a dreadful place (especially as you get closer to Fernandina Beach).

But admit it, it is known for its "crackerliciousness" (like your crazy neighbor).

Let's just say it'd be a great place to shoot COPS...kind of like the Westside. :)

Brian V.

• Members

I'm closer to the dina, actually my address is fernandina but I'm not on the island and yeh you're right it is crackerlicious LOL. The chick next door moved out (err her mom kicker her and her bf out) about a month ago, life was good and then about 2 weeks later she let them move back in, so it's back to business as usual. hell they could shoot an episode of COPS at that house alone.

ahhh Florida, gotta love it ... seems like all the nuts roll downhill and end up here

Archived