When a bandmate is a dick...

wro

• Members

Every band I have been in has had the lead singer with the disease. They all started out as down to earth dudes. And then overnight they think they are local heroes. And none of them had any real talent. It seems that no amount of talking will sink in either. You know its bad when some of the audience is saying they cant stomach him and just want to punch the dude in the face because he is so arrogant. I quit every band Ive been in because of lead singer disease. I wish I knew how to nip it in the butt before it got out of hand. I tried but nothing seem to work.

Every band? You have quit EVERY BAND because of arrogant singers? I can understand a few, but EVERY band? Who is losing there?

Why not confront the situation head on? that may be the nip in the bud you need. If you cant directly tell your singer - the "rockstar attitude" is inconsiderate and turns people off - then start kidding (making fun) of the singer about it to let them know they are laughed at like they are an ass.

• Members

A singer/keyboard player/leader who fired my friend after he just bought a new guitar with all his savings. They had a few words when the guitar was acting up on the first night. But the underlying reason was the band was a four piece and the singer just sold his bus for a pickup and a trailer that week. Only allowed three in the cab of a truck so someone had to go. Wrong time to buy a new guitar and mouth off the band leader who wasn't the nicest guy to begin with.

Lack of seating has got to be the weirdest reason that I've ever heard of for firing someone from a band. Doesn't the guy have his own transportation? Jeez.....

• Members

There's a guy I filled in with once who has an incredibly inflated sense of self. Dude can't really even sing, but he hires all these good musicians to back him up and then plays shows. I played one with him and it was borderline nightmarish. The sound system he rented was horrid, he was really rude to the crowd, and we sounded pretty much like complete {censored}, mostly because of his vocals (and the drummer that played everything super fast).

We were treated like second-class citizens by Mr. Rock Star as we made our paltry little wages for the show. All my suggestions for fixing the sound system/making it work better were shot down, even though I knew more about running sound than anyone there.

So I just set up my own mix in the powered wedge I bought, and it sounded great on my little corner of the stage. Me and the lead guitar player heard everything (we were close together on stage), while Mr. Rock Star blew out the rented monitor trying to hear himself (because he wouldn't listen to me).

I hate it when arrogance is unfounded. I don't mind arrogant people who can back it up as much. But if you suck and you say you're awesome, well, you're pathetic.

Sorry for the rant.

Brian V.

• Members

I am in a band right now where the singer has the "rock star" attitude. I cant stand it either it really drives me crazy, because he does not practice his parts at all (Our lead guitarist had to play his parts for him in the studio) and every show something seems to be wrong with his throat and thats why he messes things up. I have a feeling that he is only in a band for his image and nothing else, just wants to have something to impress people with "Ya I'm the singer in "MY" rock band"

The fact when he speaks about the band it is always "MY" band not "our" band. There are three other people in this band that have every bit as much to do with the band as this guy. Oh and he also has temper tantrums when we dont want to do things his way. He uses that band to suit his personal agenda and not much more I am afriad.

So as you can expect I will be looking to start jamming with some new people who actually want to get into the cracks of music and see what is there. I would ask the other guys to start something new but they are too afraid of upsetting the "rock star" and will tell me how much they cant stand, until they have to voice their opinion. Then it is argue their point a wee bit but cave with the "what ever you guys want to do" {censored} and I have to battle it out every time against plans with no thought or merit to them. Just something that he wants to do.

Oh yeah one time he played a horrible show and the reason was (drum roll)............................he was having a bad hair day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does not get much more retarded then that right there. Because having your hair perfect is what dirty rock and roll is all about right?

• Members

I found the Harley jacket worn in by the "popular outlaw country singer", and opened the pockets, a bit, and put the remaining 10% of my Cuervo/Gatorade mixture inside the pockets of his nice Harley jacket.

Hell to the yay-uh! The gift that keeps on giving!:thu:

• Members

Every band? You have quit EVERY BAND because of arrogant singers? I can understand a few, but EVERY band? Who is losing there?

Why not confront the situation head on? that may be the nip in the bud you need. If you cant directly tell your singer - the "rockstar attitude" is inconsiderate and turns people off - then start kidding (making fun) of the singer about it to let them know they are laughed at like they are an ass.

Yeah all three bands. And I am much happier not dealing with the BS. So I dont think I totally lost.

• Members

The fact when he speaks about the band it is always "MY" band not "our" band. There are three other people in this band that have every bit as much to do with the band as this guy.

Of course, there is a difference between "my band" (i.e. "the band I'm in") and "MY band" ("the band that couldn't exist without me"). The "MY" band thing always burns my shorts. My band actually is kinda "my" band, in the sense that Amy and I started it and keep it running behind the scenes, but it is OUR band (all 5 members') when it comes to being a band - on stage and off. We don't have time for "rock stars" and have jettisoned a few. It's a good mentality to have and seems to help with longevity. You end up with a group of people who want to work towards making things better for everyone involved. Self-serving agendas are poison.

• Members

Self-serving agendas are poison.

This is the kind of behaviour I have seen from him time and time again. In fact it has already come to bite us in the ass a few times before. Really it is all a matter of time before this little bubble bursts. Ah the drama never seems to end, it has served ne purpose though. To escape it I have thrown myself into my instrument even more, it is nice.

• Members

I guess I've been lucky - after about 40 years of gigging, I've only once been in a band that had a member that I could not at least tolerate.

A few years ago I joined an established band that did the wedding/corporate party thing (no clubs, etc). The other members had been together for many years. The chick singer had a very good voice, was very attractive and was nice enough....but she would show up for gigs 15 minutes before the 1st set and would be gone in less than 15 mintures after the last song.

She never carried a single piece of gear (well, she did bring her mic.....but someone else would have to actually plug in in for her). She would not wrap a cord or in anyway help with load in or load out.

She would not actually "front" the band and would not pick up a tamborine, cowbell or attempt to contribute to songs her voice was not "featured" on. She rarely sang harmony - and when she did, it rarely was the harmony assigned to her in rehearsal (that is on the rare occasions when she did show up to a practise session). If the band did a vamp on a song or in any way changed an arrangement she was tolally lost (someone would have to actually tell her when to come in, etc)

The thing that broke the camel......she insisted that we perform at a Sunday wedding showcase - coming up in a couple of weeks (where bands, photographers, caterers, etcs. can all show their wares to solicit business). This gig was "free" but she wanted us to do it "for the good of the band"....to try to book gigs. We were schedule to play at 3:00pm, but had to be there at 10:00am to set up (it's a big event, lots of bands, venders, etc). I said "if we all have to show up early for this free gig...that should include you" (the chick)- however, she refused to show up until almost 3:00.

I gave my 2 week notice then and there (I did the free gig to help the band....but never did another gig with them again). She had been in the band for several years....and the leader was willing to put up with her crap (the audiance always loved her voice) - so it wasn't a case of she goes or I go......and candidly, I would never play that way........I can alwasy find another gig!!! Interestingly, less then 3 months later the band broke up.....the other people finally decided they could no longer take her.....I guess I inspired them. Even with the chick's attitude.....I stayed in that band for almost a year before I quit - like I said I can normally tolerate almost anyone.

Archived