Quick band Demo Video - Feedback?

Vespertine

• Members

So my band's trying to get a spot on a local music festival and we were told to submit a couple songs for them to listen to. To get an idea how what the band's all about... Anyhow, since we didn't have any videos or anything else other than pictures and a couple of tracks that we recorded in my friends garage (lol :cop:) I though that maybe making a short video with some clips of our set might do a better job than simply sending the tracks by themselves. It's nothing fancy, but just wanted to get your opinion, and see what what you think. :)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Thanks!

• Members

HEY BRO

Sounds good!

I thought the vocal reverb in the first song was a bit excessive. Is that artificial reverb, or the result of recording in a garage? I also can't hear the drums very well.

The second song sounds much better. Maybe you should lead with that one?

My only other suggestion would be to upload the video to YouTube at a higher quality. Right now it's at the lowest quality and that hurts the sound a lot.

• Members

The music clips are fine; if available, I'd splice in more of the fan shots (and hopefully you have clips where the fans are more animated) to show the promoters that you have a following and the crowd likes your music. Its in there, but not emphasized enough.

• Members

I'd have spent less time on the video and more time on a decent recording. That sounded awful.

My reaction was the opposite, probably because I know much more about still photography (oddly enough) and processing and editing what amounts to a photo essay, than I do about recording.

I friend of mine who sings and plays guitar in a variety band told me recently that each member invested $1500 to have a video made professionally. All their competitors have gone that route, so the bar has been raised. You have no choice.

It all depends on the local market.

• Members

My reaction was the opposite, probably because I know much more about still photography (oddly enough) and processing and editing what amounts to a photo essay, than I do about recording.

I friend of mine who sings and plays guitar in a variety band told me recently that each member invested $1500 to have a video made professionally. All their competitors have gone that route, so the bar has been raised. You have no choice.

It all depends on the local market.

A video that sounds like crap is worthless as a promo tool. Especially when you're trying to get a gig at a music festival.

• Members

Is there a possible problem with your audio playback? It sound pretty good to me. I thoughts the pics were repetitive and a bit boring. No problem with the sound at all.

I suggest trying to get some crowd shots and leave shots of your friends off this. Without the music it looks like that band only played one gig and no one showed up to see you.

• Members

Is there a possible problem with your audio playback? It sound pretty good to me. I thoughts the pics were repetitive and a bit boring. No problem with the sound at all.

I suggest trying to get some crowd shots and leave shots of your friends off this. Without the music it looks like that band only played one gig and no one showed up to see you.

Nothing wrong with my sound system. I'm listening to it right now. The recording sounded like it was being played on a cassette tape with a towel wrapped around the speakers, to me anyway.

This is why recordings need to be top notch, IMO, and more so when you're converting them to MP3 and putting them on line. Playbacks of MP3s are all over the place qualitywise, because of different cable speed, speakers, sound cards, etc and a weak recording will only be magnified by the flaws in the format.

• Members

HEY BROS

I was trying to be nice about it, but I should have known BroStrat would come in and be a grumpy old blowjob :lol:. Unfortunately, I can't disagree with what he said.

Nevertheless, I think there's a few things you can do to the mix of the first song that will improve the sound noticeably:

- Guitar has way too much bass, and is getting boomy. It needs an HPF

- Guitar is too loud

- Drums as a whole are too low

- Bass and kick are really undefined. They need a little more in the mids and high end

- Snare drum is irretrievably {censored}ed. It sounds dead and there's some badass flutter echo. You'll probably need sample replacement

- Vocals need a tiny fraction of the reverb they have now, and should be EQed for a bit more clarity if possible

Note that I'm not the greatest mixer in the world and these aren't ideal listening conditions. You should ask the dudes in the Recording forum for help and show them the original mix. :wave:

• Members

Mixed?

I'm assuming it's not a multi-track recording. " . . . . recorded in my friend's garage." I think it serves it's purpose by allowing the promoters "to get an idea . . . what the band's all about."

Of course if all the other recordings submitted are of a much higher quality, everything else being equal, and they don't get in, then I'm all wrong.

• Members

my 42 cents about the video part:

don't cross fade between the pics. Just use cuts, cut faster and cut to the beat. The only place you should use a crossfade between 2 pics is when you are fading between songs. also the pics should not be same-same. I saw a pic of a guitar player and then another similar one next to each other. mix em up more. band shot-crowd shot-different band shot (as much as you can)

also try not to use pics that don't fill the whole screen.

Audio: the recording isn't great but it's bareable.

• Members

Mixed?

I'm assuming it's not a multi-track recording. " . . . . recorded in my friend's garage." I think it serves it's purpose by allowing the promoters "to get an idea . . . what the band's all about."

Of course if all the other recordings submitted are of a much higher quality, everything else being equal, and they don't get in, then I'm all wrong.

I play festivals a lot in the summer, and you're competing with regional and national acts that have pro product.

There are different kinds of festivals, I'll grant you. Some are small things produced locally and quality isn't really an issue. But in this case, bands are usually booked by word of mouth.

The festivals I'm talking about are big stage deals with concert sound and lighting and they get hundreds of submissions to wade through.

A few years ago I did this one:

Portland%20Oregon%20Blues%20Festival.jpg

There are two stages, far left and far right. I did the far left one. You won't get into that festival with a crappy sounding recording. Most of the ones around here get pro stuff submitted, even the smaller ones.

The only idea promoters are liable to get about a band that submits a sub par recording is that the band doesn't care, doesn't play enough gigs to put any money into their promo, and isn't ready for prime time. But like I said, if it's a small local festival, disregard what I said, though having top notch promo never hurts you at any level.

• Members

the vid is ok ... I think it all boils down to one question. Is this band good enough to play a festival. They would not make the stage in one in my town. Ours typically have a well known headliner from the past on sat night in the prime slot. Some basically Unknown regional acts,, and any local act has to be a big draw band. All non headliners are really tight bands that appeal to a wide demographic base. Not sure if this band does that.

the video wont make you or break you would be my guess.

• Members

hey thanks for the input guys. Yeah the recordings are crap, but it's what we managed to accomplish with only three mics and a garage. We didn't have any money to put into it , and I was also unemployed at the time:facepalm:, so that all we ended up with. I definitely agree with the picture comments, I'll see if I add more fan shots. We do have more pictures from other shows, but they don't look as good because most of them were taken with a built in flash, so I didn't know whether or not it was a good idea to use them for that.

• 4 months later...

Archived