Printing Large Posters?

• Members

I currently have found some great deals on digital print options for small posters. We're still looking for larger posters... 24x30 format or larger. The digital print shops and copiers can't had that size affordably. Just wondering if anyone has a printer they could recommend to do giant sized posters for a decent price.

• Members

I use the Rasterbator and make them myself. Have whatever company you're currently using make four 11x14 (or whatever) posters, and attach them together. Rasterbator will take one image and split it into multiple smaller ones to make printing easier.

Rasterbator + a print shop that will do full bleed prints + 5 minutes of your time to "assemble" (I typically tape the four together and then glue them to a piece of posterboard) = cheap posters that nobody will know the difference.

• Members

I use the Rasterbator and make them myself. Have whatever company you're currently using make four 11x14 (or whatever) posters, and attach them together. Rasterbator will take one image and split it into multiple smaller ones to make printing easier.

Rasterbator + a print shop that will do full bleed prints + 5 minutes of your time to "assemble" (I typically tape the four together and then glue them to a piece of posterboard) = cheap posters that nobody will know the difference.

Very cool.

Great tip.:thu:

• Members

do they really need to be that large? We get 11x17s or 12x18s for free from the local Budweiser distributor.

We get free posters from our Bud distributor... but #1... they look like every other band sponsored by Budweiser... and #2 we play out of state and some travel gigs in agnecy rooms and yes... 12x18 looks mighty tiny next to a 24x32" poster. We have great hookups for 11x17" (Thanks 'Z' for that one!) but we're look for a print shop that can afforable run off 50-100 posters. Goal is to send one large one and a few 11x17 to each club. 100 posters should last us a year or better.

• Members

The $8.99 price (each) was to create, essentially, a really large photograph. If what you're looking at is higher volume, more traditional printing, that's a different story.

If I was looking to print 100+, I would check out Hatch Show Print. This is old school wood block printing, and is really cool. There's no pricing up for custom printing on the web site (https://store.countrymusichalloffame.com/categories.php?category=Hatch-Show-Print/Music-Posters), but they definitely do it, and I seem to recall that it wasn't insanely priced. Once you get past the setup and design charges, the prints (IIRC) were reasonable.

And if you're ever in Nashville on Broadway, drop into the place. Definitely worth the trip.

js

• Members

Speaking as someone in the printing business with a sign shop on the side...

Typically the cost per square foot for a regular print on a one off aqueous printer is about 30 cents for the ink and completely variable for the media (up to about $1.00 per square foot, usually lower... to be perfectly honest, I am no media expert, freakin stuff ranges all over the place)... so for a 2 foot by 3 foot poster you can expect to pay about $5.00 - $10.00 for the cost of the materials alone. You can get it done on the cheap at a fed ex kinko's typically.

If you're looking to do a great deal of posters, say over 30, you may want to find someone with a more conventional litho press. The setup to create the plates will be a higher cost but the payoff is that the ink and paper is way way way cheaper (so the more you print, the more you save). See if you can find someone with an HP Indigo... those babies are perfect for that kind of work.

• Members

Well for one... the posters themselves are disposable. They get sent to the club, get taped to a window and torn down. I've gotten great deals on 11X17" flyers and 14x24" posters... still we don't need glossy 100pt paper to be printed on. These end up in the garbage.

I have thought of Kinkos... believe it or not their print services are pretty reasonable. They just don't offer the larger sizes.

• Members
We get free posters from our Bud distributor... but #1... they look like every other band sponsored by Budweiser... and #2 we play out of state and some travel gigs in agnecy rooms and yes... 12x18 looks mighty tiny next to a 24x32" poster. We have great hookups for 11x17" (Thanks 'Z' for that one!) but we're look for a print shop that can afforable run off 50-100 posters. Goal is to send one large one and a few 11x17 to each club. 100 posters should last us a year or better.

Gotcha. I design our posters and send the file to their graphics dept. All they do is add whatever advertising header they want on top of my file. So ours don't look like their generic ones that they do for most acts and events. BTW, our Bud distributor also has a larger printer and a vinyl printer for making large hanging logos, etc. You sure yours can't do larger stuff?

• Members

Our local FedEx Kinkos will do self-service black and white copies for like $2 bucks, up to 24"x36" or something stuipid like that. If you can come up with a cool poster concept that would look right in black and white, it's a great cheap poster.

When we had the anime-style stuff and I didn't want to rasterbate it, we'd do the prints in black and white, and then colorize them ourselves with colored lines and such via colored sharpie. It looked better than it sounds, though I don't have any pictures.

That's one thing I love about our "newspaper" style posters... print them in black and white for next to nothing and they're dirt cheap.

• Members

Well for one... the posters themselves are disposable. They get sent to the club, get taped to a window and torn down. I've gotten great deals on 11X17" flyers and 14x24" posters... still we don't need glossy 100pt paper to be printed on. These end up in the garbage.

I have thought of Kinkos... believe it or not their print services are pretty reasonable. They just don't offer the larger sizes.

Yeah, the difficult part is finding anything cheap larger than 11x17 etc because that's about the cut off point for the cheap printers. Try a different Kinkos maybe? I know for certain that some of them offer very very cheap larger prints... I installed their printers myself :lol:. May be your best bet, can't blame you at all for not wanting to spend all that much on the throwaways!

• Members

The HP-Indigos that I've seen will only go 13" x 19"...the main problem is that the printer manufacturers charge ALOT more for any printer that will handle media in the 20" x 30" range...for that size we use a LightJet printer, which uses Kodak photo paper...but doesn't hold up over time to exposure to sunlight...i.e., in a window

For posters up to 14" x 20", we use a Xerox iGen press...and when you buy that machine they charge a healthy premium for that extra inch versus the Indigo.

• Members

The HP-Indigos that I've seen will only go 13" x 19"...the main problem is that the printer manufacturers charge ALOT more for any printer that will handle media in the 20" x 30" range...for that size we use a LightJet printer, which uses Kodak photo paper...but doesn't hold up over time to exposure to sunlight...i.e., in a window

For posters up to 14" x 20", we use a Xerox iGen press...and when you buy that machine they charge a healthy premium for that extra inch versus the Indigo.

And Johnny... we'll certainly continue to use your services. our 14X24 posters came out great and were very reasonable in price. Turnaround was terrific.

• Members

Followup, I meant to post a picture of my "combine many posters into one big one" technique. This is a 4x4 poster, 8.5"x11" paper, but not full-bleed so I had to cut all the white space off the edges. I'm guessing 8"x10.5" per page. That puts it at a 32"x42" poster. Total cost = 16 sheets x 0.04 per copy = $0.64.

19675_1316837366871_1408851294_903845_71

(Probably pissing off all the other bands by using up the entire bulletin board: priceless.)

• 2 years later...
  • Members

So my posters for my acoustic gigs are 8.5 x 14 B&W on some type of card stock. I don't want them any bigger.My Kinkos doesn't carry it so they always end up charging me extra to crop them. Is there someone on this board that can give me a price? I'd rather give the business to someone here that needs it!

• Members

Yeah, the difficult part is finding anything cheap larger than 11x17 etc because that's about the cut off point for the cheap printers.

This was my experience recently. 11X17 is fine but as soon as you go over that the cost goes up pretty quick (especially for colour)

Archived