Supercharge your band cookings! Grilling tips, anyone?

• Members

Yes I know the holiday weekend is in full swing- but maybe it's not too late to get some input on your barbeque technique. I am hoping to get some advice from you Knowledgeable Ones as my approach to grilling is (like my music) pretty much hit-or-miss.

The only advice I myself could give is:

1) Don't get "lit" before the grill does, and

2) NEVER abandon your cooking "station".

Also, I am hoping to discover somewhat more constructive roles that alcohol can play in the grilling process. For example, I suspect that Goldschlager would make a great chicken breast glaze. And is Jack Daniels a good marinade ingredient) for meat? Any success with the above?

Thanks for any forthcoming info!:)

edited: ok I'll narrow it down..how do you grill the perfect STEAK?

I use plenty of charcoal (and good quality such as Kingston), let the fire burn at least 40 minutes (burn off lighter fluid taste), put the grill about 4" above the fire, and make sure the steaks are not too close together on the grill (so as to let the fire "breathe" better). I usually turn the steak after about a minute or 2. Most important IMO is having a good hot fire to sear the juices in (and don't poke holes in the steaks while marinating, if you are a marinating kind of guy)..Some swear by a meat thermometer, but I generally don't use one.

But even following these general guidelines my results are not that consistent. Any thoughts on how to improve on that?

• Members

It seems to me, if your results aren't that consistent then you have one of two problems.

1.) You're not maintaining a consistent temperature in the grill when you're cooking the steaks(or any meat for that matter). This could be due to a variety of reasons. Perhaps you're stacking the charcoal differently every time, opening or shutting the grill lid too often, or simply not using the grill vents in the proper way. IMO, 40 minutes before you start cooking is a bit too long. With good Kingston Charcoal, unless you're absolutely soaking the charcoal in fluid, it should reach a nice, glowing greyish quality in about 15-20 mins, perfect for cooking. From there, it's all about using your grill's vents to determine just how hot you want it to be in there. If you're cooking at different temps each time you cook, of course you won't have consistency.

2.) You're not allowing for the variable of different cuts of meat as well as different sizes and thicknesses. It should go without saying that thicker cuts will take longer than others. You shouldn't cook them at higher temperatures, but let them cook for a bit longer than thinner, smaller cuts.

If you're going to sear the steaks, that's fine, but make sure that you lower the grill temperature after doing so. Keeping it at that high of a temperature is a good way to burn the outside of the steak and keep the middle relatively cold. Best of luck on your endeavors and remember, grilling, like music, is an art. The best grillers learn their skills.

• Members

Two posts talking about "Kingston" charcoal tells me these are bush-league grillers. :facepalm:

Kingsford-logo-8B699538F4-seeklogo.com.g

But I digress...I am a propane guy, myself. No waiting for briquettes to light, heat up , and burn off before you can start cooking...no worries of lighter fuel taste, or charcoal dust, either.

I've got a massive stainless steel five-burner grill...although I do use my smoker, quite a bit.

One of these days I am going to build myself an outdoor kitchen.

I am the local "god of the grill" according to the friends and family of my wife and I.

I even have published recipes in a couple of cookbooks.

The most common question I get, when I am having a cookout, is "are you making your beans?" They can be a meal, by themselves, and feature my current favorite bbq sauce that I make. Because I think y'all are good people, I am going to share this recipe.

This should feed about eight people when served as a side dish, so adjust accordingly.

1 lb (2 cups) navy beans - soaked overnight with 4 tbsp of kosher salted water completely covering the beans.

Cooking day, bring the beans to a boil in the same water, then simmer on low for at least 90 minutes

While beans are cooking, start a mixture of:

1 lb ground chuck

12oz pkg bacon, diced (freeze it, just slightly, and it's easier to cut up)

1 whole vidalia onion, minced

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp black pepper

In a large saucepan, combine:

1 1/2 cups yellow mustard

5 tbsp brown sugar

4 tbsp tomato paste

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp chicken boullion disovled in hot water (about 2 cubes) or 1 tbsp chicken base

1 tbsp worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp El Yucatero or Tabasco brand habanero sauce

2 tsp celery salt

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp paprika

stir frequently, bring just to a boil, then remove from heat

Cook meat until just done - then drain both the meat and beans.

Combine beans, meat, and sauce into one pot (or crockpot) and simmer on low for at least two hours. If you want some more heat, toss in a dried habanero pod, when combining the meat, beans and sauce.

Dig in.

• Members

It seems to me, if your results aren't that consistent then you have one of two problems.

1.) You're not maintaining a consistent temperature in the grill when you're cooking the steaks(or any meat for that matter). This could be due to a variety of reasons. Perhaps you're stacking the charcoal differently every time, opening or shutting the grill lid too often, or simply not using the grill vents in the proper way. IMO, 40 minutes before you start cooking is a bit too long. With good Kingston Charcoal, unless you're absolutely soaking the charcoal in fluid, it should reach a nice, glowing greyish quality in about 15-20 mins, perfect for cooking. From there, it's all about using your grill's vents to determine just how hot you want it to be in there. If you're cooking at different temps each time you cook, of course you won't have consistency.

2.) You're not allowing for the variable of different cuts of meat as well as different sizes and thicknesses. It should go without saying that thicker cuts will take longer than others. You shouldn't cook them at higher temperatures, but let them cook for a bit longer than thinner, smaller cuts.

If you're going to sear the steaks, that's fine, but make sure that you lower the grill temperature after doing so. Keeping it at that high of a temperature is a good way to burn the outside of the steak and keep the middle relatively cold. Best of luck on your endeavors and remember, grilling, like music, is an art. The best grillers learn their skills.

Thanks for the input! Yes I need to approach things a little less half-hazardly-...maybe even start taking notes (Grill Captain's Log, Stardate....:)) My holiday effort went over fairly well this time, however- little more pink than intended but pretty good.

• Members

Two posts talking about
"Kingston"
charcoal tells me these are bush-league grillers.
:facepalm:

Kingsford-logo-8B699538F4-seeklogo.com.g
But I digress...I am a propane guy, myself. No waiting for briquettes to light, heat up , and burn off before you can start cooking...no worries of lighter fuel taste, or charcoal dust, either.

I've got a massive stainless steel five-burner grill...although I do use my smoker, quite a bit.

One of these days I am going to build myself an outdoor kitchen.

I am the local "god of the grill" according to the friends and family of my wife and I.

I even have published recipes in a couple of cookbooks.

The most common question I get, when I am having a cookout, is "are you making your beans?" They can be a meal, by themselves, and feature my current favorite bbq sauce that I make. Because I think y'all are good people, I am going to share this recipe.

This should feed about eight people when served as a side dish, so adjust accordingly.

1 lb (2 cups) navy beans - soaked overnight with 4 tbsp of kosher salted water completely covering the beans.

Cooking day, bring the beans to a boil in the same water, then simmer on low for at least 90 minutes

While beans are cooking, start a mixture of:

1 lb ground chuck

12oz pkg bacon, diced (freeze it, just slightly, and it's easier to cut up)

1 whole vidalia onion, minced

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp black pepper

In a large saucepan, combine:

1 1/2 cups yellow mustard

5 tbsp brown sugar

4 tbsp tomato paste

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp chicken boullion disovled in hot water (about 2 cubes) or 1 tbsp chicken base

1 tbsp worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp El Yucatero or Tabasco brand habanero sauce

2 tsp celery salt

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp paprika

stir frequently, bring
just
to a boil, then remove from heat

Cook meat until
just
done - then drain both the meat and beans.

Combine beans, meat, and sauce into one pot (or crockpot) and simmer on low for at least two hours. If you want some more heat, toss in a dried habanero pod, when combining the meat, beans and sauce.

Dig in.

DAMN that sounds good! Might have to head to Alabama next holiday!:lol:. (with a banjo on my knee, 'course)

(edited:) I'm seriously going to try this one, being a connissour of fine beans. The BBQ sauce alone sounds promising. Thanks for the trouble Cooter!

Archived