Anyone getting in on the " Open for Kiss " Thing they have going on ?

• Members

The Throwdown Jones boys have been put in on the contest and are holding a modest 3rd place out of 123 for bands to have a chance in Charlotte NC . Its a Guitar center contest and the top 5 bands will be reviewed for the chance to open for kiss . if you would give it a vote ...

heres the link for the contest http://eventful.com/competitions/kiss2010/charlotte

a video to stay on track

a lil Van Halen "Hot for the teacher" for the folks

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Morganton-NC/True-Vine-Imaging/103790796327355?ref=ts&__a=29#!/video/video.php?v=1398109544997

• Members

I highly doubt they have any interest in hiring a cover band for that gig, so I will pass. I wouldn' pass up the chance but Gene is such a Douchebag, as long as you wouldn't have to interact with that giant douche I would be down with it.

Max

• Members

Good luck guys, you just got my vote! Having lived in NC for a few years, I'll spread the word to some of my buds down there as well.

The way I see it is, KISS will have a built in crowd at any show (even if it's less than packed), and you'll play to an audience that never saw you before -- the rest is up to your performance -- knock it out of the park, and you'll leave with some new fans.

Either way, I'd take an opportunity like this over a p2p show or relying on "myspace marketing" to have people discover your band! Good luck boys!

• Members

thanks for the vote the bass player is a huge kiss fan , in SC he was able to hang out with him and got gene to sign his Demon tattoo which he got inked upon comin home lol so if they get the chance to do it he would be in hog heaven so any vote you can gain them they would love it .

• Members

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=55769164

video was taken between the PA so volume sucks but still get the point ...

Journey : faithfully filmed from the Halloween from hell show we did last yr

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.channel&vanity=throwdownjones

and here are more recent from the youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/user/throwdownjones10

• Members

Hey Throwdown guys, do you think that they will actually hire a cover band for that gig? It seems like they would then have to cover licensing fees for each song you played and all that. It seems like a big disadvantage to a cover band.

Also the only time I saw a cover band open for a major act it was not pretty. The Audience was not in the mood to hear cover songs and lot of insults were yelled at the band and lot of stuff was thrown at the band members. I would not have wanted to be that band.

Max

• Members

Hey Throwdown guys, do you think that they will actually hire a cover band for that gig? It seems like they would then have to cover licensing fees for each song you played and all that. It seems like a big disadvantage to a cover band.

Also the only time I saw a cover band open for a major act it was not pretty. The Audience was not in the mood to hear cover songs and lot of insults were yelled at the band and lot of stuff was thrown at the band members. I would not have wanted to be that band.

Max

I have to agree with this one. I'd bet money that in the end they'll choose an original band for that spot.

• Members

Not only did some top bands open for kiss, but Gene practically discovered AC/DC and Van Halen....it would be big move to open for Kiss...because if you did well, you could probably open for the rest of the tour...on your way baby.

Guaranteed that the chosen band will be playing original metal/rock, have a decent image/sound, and be pretty tight...probably full of young guys...

• Members

Gene did not discover AC/DC. AC/DC released thier first record in 1974 the same year Kiss released thier first record, and Gene had nothing to do with AC/DC getting a record contract.

However it is true that he had much to do with Van Halen getting signed.

Max

• Members

Good luck! Good, solid, high-energy originals should be your priority. My brother-in-law's old band (mostly originals) went across the country twice with the Kiss/Aerosmith tour years ago. They broke up soon after. However, they did get to play the L.A. Forum and go to Joe Perry's home.

• Members

The Throwdown Jones boys have been put in on the contest and are holding a modest 3rd place out of 123 for bands to have a chance in Charlotte NC . Its a Guitar center contest and the top 5 bands will be reviewed for the chance to open for kiss . if you would give it a vote ...

heres the link for the contest
http://eventful.com/competitions/kiss2010/charlotte

a video to stay on track

a lil Van Halen "Hot for the teacher" for the folks

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Morganton-NC/True-Vine-Imaging/103790796327355?ref=ts&__a=29#!/video/video.php?v=1398109544997

Voted! :thu:

• Members

I have to agree with this one. I'd bet money that in the end they'll choose an original band for that spot.

they will hire a band that can enterain that big a crowd ... as for the fees for the covers ,, anyplace that can hold kiss you can bet has paid the fees. Big acts do covers all the time. Throwdown looks like a fun band from tne vids. If they can pull off the win they will do fine. Its not like kiss fans are spring chickens . A good warm up of kiss era covers would be a good warm up to a kiss show. Kiss no doubt is out of the star making biz,,, they are just out making money now. votes .... go thowdown jones.

• Members

Maybe it is more common these days, I don't go to many concerts these days. However when I did the only time I saw a cover band open up was when the regular opener had to cancel at the last minute. It got ugly fast and I am sure the band up there wanted to be anywhere but up on that stage being pelted with garbage .

Max

• Members

they will hire a band that can enterain that big a crowd ... as for the fees for the covers ,, anyplace that can hold kiss you can bet has paid the fees. Big acts do covers all the time. Throwdown looks like a fun band from tne vids. If they can pull off the win they will do fine. Its not like kiss fans are spring chickens . A good warm up of kiss era covers would be a good warm up to a kiss show. Kiss no doubt is out of the star making biz,,, they are just out making money now. votes .... go thowdown jones.

I concur; Judas Priest had one of the most well known 80s cover bands in our area open for them at Summerfest.

So it's not unheard of.

• Members

they will hire a band that can enterain that big a crowd ... as for the fees for the covers ,, anyplace that can hold kiss you can bet has paid the fees.
Big acts do covers all the time

I'm pretty sure the venue has to pay the ASCAP, BMI, etc fees, not the performers.

I've even seen KISS and Van Halen do covers. Most opening acts do seem to be mostly original music (with an album to sell in stores and at the merch booth).

Sometimes the big acts have a local band open before the official "opening act."

• Members

Sometimes the big acts have a local band open before the official "opening act."

You have to be careful with this one, some places will claim said band is "opening" but what actually happens is they get stuck on some side stage that nobody knows about 4 hours before the main act goes on...at a different stage.

I honestly don't know how they continue to get away with calling that opening....

• Members

I'm pretty sure the venue has to pay the ASCAP, BMI, etc fees, not the performers.

I've even seen KISS and Van Halen do covers. Most opening acts do seem to be mostly original music (with an album to sell in stores and at the merch booth).

Who knows ....We have a local country band that does alot of openers for the big country acts. They have original music ,, but i would guess only do a few and the rest are mega hit covers. I have never seen their opening shows on a big act ,, but I have seen them enough locally to know how they run a set. Pretty well everyone does covers even in the big leagues.

• Members
Gene did not discover AC/DC. AC/DC released thier first record in 1974 the same year Kiss released thier first record, and Gene had nothing to do with AC/DC getting a record contract.

Max[/quote

Max, technically your correct...but.the Kiss Tour, got them known in the US....

Some argue that Ac/Dc wasn't really known until Back in Black..

• Members

Max[/quote

Max, technically your correct...but.the Kiss Tour, got them known in the US....

Some argue that Ac/Dc wasn't really known until Back in Black..

In my area AC/DC was well known many years before Back in Balck. They went huge when Highway to Hell was released. They also toured with Ted Nugent and Cheap Trick for the If you Want Blood live album tour many years before Back In Black.

Some in the U.S. might say that they didn't hear of AC/DC until Back in Black but the U.S. is only a small part of the world.

Max

• Members

You have to be careful with this one, some places will claim said band is "opening" but what actually happens is they get stuck on some side stage that nobody knows about 4 hours before the main act goes on...at a different stage.

I honestly don't know how they continue to get away with calling that
opening

When I saw Journey last year, one of the radio stations had a pre-show party outside the arena with a cover band on a small stage. Not long after wards, someone from the band posted on another forum using the phrase "when we opened for Journey..."

:facepalm:

Archived