Even the greats don't get it all perfect

MartinC

• Members

The last time Sir Paul came to SF I was there-it was the late 70's. he was with Wings and it remains one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Last night he came back to SF and along with about 40,000 others, I was there. He kept everyone waiting for just over an hour past the scheduled downbeat. no opener. It was the first time I ever heard someone use their own music as a prelude to their appearance. It was remixed with modern thudding bass and drums- dance versions of a few of his tunes. horrible, but interesting.

Note: no one, not even PM, should leave their audience waitng for over an hour.

Of course all was forgiven when he took the stage. Only four guys with him-two guitars, drums , and boards. One of the guitarists doubled on bass when paul played guitar, which was often. Paul played some lead too on a couple of tunes, even a Jimi tune which he dedicated to Jimi. The band was steller. They all sang, and played extremely well. on a George tune, the guitarist simply nailed the solo, playing with great touch.

The sound started out a bit rough, but got better. He did start a tune and bring it to a halt within a bar-it sounded like someone was in the wrong key. He joked about this being a live show, and how much simpler it would have been to simply press a button, but that this was in fact a LIVE show.

Yes, it was. Paul, a Beatle, live on stage, playing one after another mega hits.

When Paul sat at a piano and started The long and winding road, it was over. Simply incredible. Then, Blackbird-Paul alone with a guitar and 40,000 people taken away by greatness, legend, and history.

I could go on and on for pages, but in the end it was the best of us, fullfilling the promise of what music can do and what it can mean to people.

• Members

I have agree with Wades on this one, thumping kick and bass do not belong in 60s music, it sounded great without it and trying to put that in there isn't going to improve it in any way shape or form. Kinda like squeezing a hippo into spandex.

Max

• Members

RE-read the OP.

I think he is saying that Paul was playing remixed tracks of his music as the warm up music. And this was the OP's issue with thumping bass. Hearing remixed Beatles songs with a lot of bass would sound weird.

THEN the band came on, and proceeded to rock out. No problem with loud thumping bass while the band was playing, just the warmup music.

dk

• Members

Rock out they did. Days later, I'm still in shock-it was that great. I'm remembering moments, and thinking, wow, that was amazing. I told a friend I'd seen the show. He said he wasn't much of a McCartney fan. I was pretty surprised. You don't like the BEATLES? He said Paul wasn't the Beatles and he thought he wouldn't play any Beatles stuff. Oh man, was that wrong. He did Day in the Life, O bla di, Something, Get Back, and many,many more. It was AMAZING.

There is another thread right now about Beatles tribute acts, but the real deal is touring now. Yes, the tickets are expensive, but worth every penny and then some. I haven't checked the other tour dates but would consider flying somewhere to see that show again. It's a once in a lifetime type of opportunity. I'm 52, been going to see concerts since I was 16. I've seen a lot of greats. I consider myself pretty jaded, but forget it, McCartney DELIVERS! Anyone has a chance to go, GO!!!!!!! You may just measure most all future acts you see against this show, and most all will most probably come up short.

• Members

^^^^This^^^^ I saw him 2 years ago with 400,000 of my closest friends. It was a physical ordeal, after standing in exactly the same spot for 8 hours the crowd going home looked like a scene from Night Of The Living Dead, we were so stiff. Worth every ache.

• Members

Sir Paul still has "it" after all these years. The guy can rock harder than many half his age. Not to mention writing some of the best pop songs that have ever been written. Yeah, he's a bit of a prima donna. But if anyone deserves to be, it's him.

Archived