Trainwreck drummer alert!

FitchFY

• Moderators

I'd rather stop and fix the problem than finish out a set sounding less than full strength.

The set? Sure! But I kind think you should at least try to finish out the song even if something significant goes wrong.

• Members

I am a drummer & have had all sorts of things break or fail on my kit. The show MUST go on has always been my mantra.

We did an out doorgig on the 4th. of July & I was getting ate up byall kinds of flying insects. One really liked to suck blood from my left ankle. I will NEVER forget the "OFF" again at a outdoor gig !!

Dave Huffman

• Members

Are there enough actual people in RI to actually form two separate bands?

I thought the state was so small that my last apartment complex had a bigger population...

:confused:
:confused:

:lol:

Yea sucks for the band having a drummer like that.

I know my drummer busted a head at our last gig, but never stop playing.

Heck we didn't even know it until the end of the song

then told us about it.

• Members

Sometimes just "plowing ahead" really ISN"T the best thing to do.

I found that out at a gig last weekend: if the problem is with the sound or something that can't really be "played off", it's best to stop the show.

Maybe the dude's snare took a dump? That's the one drum on the kit that can't be played around - ya gotta have a snare.

• Members

I always carry a spare snare head. Never punched through a kick head in 20+ years. I do have gaff tape and can patch one if necessary.

I also have good gear and keep it maintained.

I agree that a spare snare is a must for a big show, but dragging a bunch of extra gear to an average bar show is a pain. Not like we don't have enough crap to lug already!

As far as the OP's story, sounds like a rookie who lost his {censored} and couldn't pull it together. Hopefully the band will use it as a learning experience.

I agree that you should always try to get through the song and then figure out the next move.

"Be prepared" is not a musicians motto, but it should be!

• Members

I always carry a spare snare head. Never punched through a kick head in 20+ years. I do have gaff tape and can patch one if necessary.

I also have good gear and keep it maintained.

I agree that a spare snare is a must for a big show, but dragging a bunch of extra gear to an average bar show is a pain. Not like we don't have enough crap to lug already!

As far as the OP's story, sounds like a rookie who lost his {censored} and couldn't pull it together. Hopefully the band will use it as a learning experience.

I agree that you should always try to get through the song and then figure out the next move.

"Be prepared" is not a musicians motto, but it should be!

I will have to say that I always have an extra snare drum & usually spare heads for the drums. I just put one in the bottom of each case. I also have about 5 drum keys as I am always misplaceing them. I also carry an extra bass drum pedal & High hat clutch just in case.

I own most of the PA we use so I carry extra cords of all sorts. I have a tool bag with just about any tool you would need to fix cords & other equipment on a gig. I even carry solder & a soldering iron

All this extra stuff stays in the truck & is there if I need it.:idea:

Dave Huffman:thu:

• Members

I will have to say that I always have an extra snare drum & usually spare heads for the drums. I just put one in the bottom of each case. I also have about 5 drum keys as I am always misplaceing them. I also carry an extra bass drum pedal & High hat clutch just in case.

I own most of the PA we use so I carry extra cords of all sorts. I have a tool bag with just about any tool you would need to fix cords & other equipment on a gig. I even carry solder & a soldering iron

All this extra stuff stays in the truck & is there if I need it.
:idea:

Dave Huffman:thu:

I'm one of those worrying types who believes in being over-prepared. I load all my gear into a trailer, so I bring an extra small monitor speaker in case one goes out, a spare power amp for the PA, spare cords, a spare guitar amp, a repair kit, extra mic stand ( actually had one fail on me at a gig) and so on. It doesn't take much extra effort to throw them in the trailer, and they stay there during the gig, but it's nice to know I have these things right outside if I need them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That - in a nutshell - is the main reason I stopped playing for so long. The interplay of lines, the harmonic texture, the virtuosity, the SWING . . . it's a special form of music that I've listened to more than all other genre's combined.

Cooterbrown and senior blues,

All I can say about jazz is that it's a music that requires a lot of homework. My friends and teacher are all very good players, and most of them have done 100's if not 1000's of transcriptions. Many of them have learned entire album worth of Chick Corea, Oscar Peterson solo by memory and can play along with the CD note by note.. A friend of mine actually learned a CD's worth of solo and transposed it in all keys, another guy learned the Charlie Parker Omnibook in all keys at 300bpm.

It took me like 4 months of hard practice to be able to play chick corea's Matrix solo well enough at 80% of original tempo.. multiply that by like 10, and I guess that should give you an idea of how much it takes to learn album worth of solos into your hands. It's a very very slow process.

I don't really think there is any mystery to it, other than just pure grinding and practicing to get there, like concert pianists playing big concertos. I remember one guy telling me it took him 15 years to be able to play Chopin Etudes Op10#2 well enough, and I am guessing mastering jazz requires just as much.

• Moderators

Breaking a kick drum head is the Queen Mother of onstage catastrophes...

The only thing to do is stop, and either patch it enough to finish the set, or if that can't be done, pull the drum and change it. If the guy has a spare...

Can't think of anything more disruptive, other than a singer suddenly losing their voice mid-set, which I've never seen happen.

MG

Archived