Question to bands out there...

thebigpong

• Members

Today i was thinking about how so many bands work so hard to get a following and they have recorded 1-2 albums and then they just get stuck and dont succeed much farther. They also never really go on "tour"(by tour i mean take 1-2 months on the road, a few shows a week) due to touring companies being so expensive and not within reach(the companies are usually geared towards big bands). SO my idea is to create a touring company catered to non discovered bands who have a big enough following to go on a small tour(20- 30 shows) in order to get their name way out there.

MY question to you bands is if you would take an offer like this if given one(to go on tour with 2-3 other bands of the same genre and pay a company a precentage of ticket sales, so the bands you still be making money).

This company would have a mobile stage, trussing, lights,line array, and a 8-10 man crew. Everything needed production wise for a 5000-10000 people concert( or less)

• Members

Who's gonna pay you? Some bands on the road are surviving on what they make and play places where sound & lights are provided, don't have much to pay someone else to do sound.

The places being played either have sound & lights or think they should be provided by the band so they are only gonna pay for the cost of the band, unless it's a special event.

• Members

Having just done a tour like this with an artist who's considerably more well known than we are, I'd have to sadly say that although it's a great idea, your chances of making any money at this are practically nil.

There just isn't enough money out there these days for touring bands at that level to be able to afford something like this. Someone who isn't on a major label, even if they have a good following in smaller venues, lots of press, etc. is still pretty much just touring on their own in a van with maybe one crew member. For an indie band or a band signed to a small label, being able to carry an 8-10 man crew et al is pretty much unheard of.

It's not really worth it to carry a mobile stage, lights etc. either, as bands at that level are typically playing at already established venues and festivals who have their own stage, lights and PA.

I'd be happy to have a small bus and a couple of roadies. That'd be heaven. But even that is fairly well out of reach financially for most "undiscovered" bands and even quite a lot who are somewhat "discovered."

• Members

The reason bands don't do that is because they can't make enough from ticket sales to cover the costs of touring. There may be some economies of scale to be realized from packaging several bands on a tour, but I suspect that for most not-well-known bands touring is a dice roll as to whether they will make money or not. Putting a production company into the mix to take a percentage just makes that less likely.

If you think you can pull it off, I suspect you'd have no trouble getting bands to sign on for a tour if you had venues booked. But figure how much you'd need to make to pay your expenses, and how many tickets that translates to at whatever percentage you're taking, and then take a long hard look at how many tickets you can reasonably expect a not-well-known band to sell.

• Members

theses would be outdoor shows/festivals and everything travels with the band.

Remember these would be bands who enough people know about them to come see them but they are not national known.

Your last sentence is kind of an oxymoron. If enough people know about them to come see them and justify carrying all that gear and crew around, then they're nationally known. ;)

Outdoor festivals typically are put on by local promoters who provide the stage setup anyway. If a touring band were to put on its own festival, they'd have to have a big enough draw to do it without any other support, i.e. they'd have to be nationally known.

• Members

Just to be clear, I do not think your idea as you currently present it would work. The logistics involved with touring are staggering. For example, you would need a permit for every outdoor location you found, or the cops would shut you down in twenty minutes. You would need vendors, booking agents, publicists, etc.

Also, many of these bands you describe do still have day jobs. They may be doing quite well as a band but that's a far cry from paying the bills. Do they still tour? Sure, some do, but it is often very limited.

That being said, I didn't come here to kick puppies. Your idea sounds to me like a mini-vans tour. Find yourself a car company that wants to present a cool image like Scion, or the Honda Element and call it the Mini-Vans tour!

Seriously though, if you are ridiculously dedicated to seeing this through, start with corporate backing. You would need it.

• Members

The draw is the bands... More specifically i am close to many hardcore bands...

Texas in July, This or apocalypse., and a few others who can bring upwards to 5000 to one show

to one show in one region, or to any one show anywhere? I'm with Lee and the others.. it just doesn't make sense- A national act that can pull 5k+ per show can't use you (they would have label tour support), and the bands that pull less, well .. they can't afford you. Most of them can't even afford a hotel room and sleep in the van, how are they going to pay 8 guys, a slew of gear, and the expenses of room food etc for those 8 guys??

You aren't thinking this out

• Members

The draw is the bands... More specifically i am close to many hardcore bands...

Texas in July, This or apocalypse., and a few others who can bring upwards to 5000 to one show

I'd suggest you attempt to organize that one show first.

It will give you a better feel for the logisitics and amount of red tape, labor, and money involved in what you propose.

• Members

Remember these would be bands who enough people know about them to come see them but they are not national known.

ALERT! ALERT!

LOGIC INFINITE LOOP FAIL!!!

Do people across the country know of them or not?

If so, they can book the tour on their own, and cut out the middle man (you).

If not, nobody is going to come and see them just because they are playing on your shiny stage with cool lights instead of in the basement of the local VFW.

You are either not thinking this through, or making a lot of incorrect assumptions about what bands at your target demo are actually capable/incapable of and doing/not doing.

Archived