got this gem today

Kramerguy

• Members

The Sherman Theater in Stroudsburg, PA is seeking 2 rap/hip hop oriented acts to support the Wu-Tang Clan on Saturday January 1st, 2011. This concert includes the entire Clan featuring Method Man, RZA, GZA, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, U-God, and Masta Killa. As this is a high profile show with a legendary national act, any artists submitting to play must have a large draw that will add to the show. Performers must also be willing to contribute heavily to the marketing and promotion of the concert via their own resources.

So if I wanna open for this "high-profile national act", I must 1) bring the crowd, AND 2) pay for the promotion of the show?? :facepalm:

Seriously.. if I could properly draw and promote a show, why the hell would I need these clowns?

• Members

Everytime I see these posts, I hope these people's shows fail and they go broke with a quickness..

When they booked Wu Tang Clan, I bet there's a guarantee involved for that act.. why should that be any different for your local or regional acts?

Not only that.. what in the world would I have to gain by doing this, from a business standpoint? They aren't even offering any compensation at X Ticket sales, or anything similar...

The irony of it is that these people could get better local acts, that actually WOULD draw.... all they have to do is show them the same respect they're showing the nationals.

• Members

The point isn't can Wu-tang draw; they can, and unless this place is in the sticks/not an urban venue, it should.

The point is to minimize your promo/marketing costs and put as much burden on the openers as possible so that as a promoter, once you pay the headliner's guarantee, you still have a little extra $ in your pocket from the chump openers. That extra $, by the way, will not be reported to the headliner, so they won't see a cut of it.

• Members

The point isn't can Wu-tang draw; they can, and unless this place is in the sticks/not an urban venue, it should.

The point is to minimize your promo/marketing costs and put as much burden on the openers as possible so that as a promoter, once you pay the headliner's guarantee, you still have a little extra $ in your pocket from the chump openers. That extra $, by the way, will not be reported to the headliner, so they won't see a cut of it.

There would be no need to report how much the opener made to the headliner. As someone who has headlined a few concerts and opened for a lot more, I can tell you the headliner doesn't know how much you're getting paid as an opener nor do they give a fat rat's ass. As long as he gets his guarantee, it a great big beautiful world. Most openers for national act headliners never even get to meet the band they're opening for.

• Members

It is a New Year's Day gig. It will fail. Most people are pretty much partied out after NYE. Sounds like someone screwed up.

we have a show on 1/1 and im curious to see how it goes. It's a great venue, but it is 1/1 and it's a Saturday so who knows. I know all the places around here that have live music are still having live music.

However I will be in the caribbean so I'll report back when I fly home and talk to the band!

Archived