Jammit.com : Have You Heard About This?

ggm1960

• Members

Sorting through my e-mail just now I clicked on a link to check out some video of Macworld 2011. The first couple videos were pretty ho-hum but the fourth one really caught my attention.

It's a new (so new it's not even available yet) application that allows you to isolate tracks from the master mix of popular songs so you can really hear what's going on with the guitar, keyboards, bass, drums or vocals. You can slow it down and other various things to help learn riffs and passages while the display is showing the sheet music!

The application itself is supposed to be free and then you pay $3.00 per song that you want to work on. That sounded real good to me because I've paid $4.95 to get piano sheet music on-line several times.

This won't be of interest to originals bands and perhaps doesn't even appeal to some guys in cover bands but for guys who, like me, want every possible resource available to learn with this has the potential of being something amazing!

Check it for yourself. Look for the Jammit video clip here.

And then there's the Jammit Website.

I'm kinda excited about this one and I'm gonna keep my ear to the ground on it and see how/if it develops!:thu:

• Members

I haven't checked this out yet but if it works the way you've described I'm ALL OVER IT. I learn by 90% listen. Still there are arrangements or chord phrasings that sometimes make it impossible to hear what's going on with everything else going on. Being able to isolate a part or reduce the clutter is great for me. I've been spending $30-50 per year on digital sheet music and many times it's not for the version or arrangement I'm looking for.

This sounds pretty cool! :thu:

• Members

I don't know if this is common knowledge around here but there are lots of isolated tracks on the net that people have ripped from the guitar hero and rock band video games. Guitar, bass, drum etc. I can post a link to a good starting place if anyone is interested.

• Members

I've been spending $30-50 per year on digital sheet music and many times it's not for the version or arrangement I'm looking for.

This sounds pretty cool!
:thu:

I've got a feeling that the first thing that will happen when/if this gets going is that the price will get jacked up because they'll have to deal with all kinds of publishers, studios, record companies, etc. but even so if it went up to $5.00 a song it's still gonna be better than any sheet music that could be found. From the perspective of a keyboard player I've often been disappointed with sheet music because it tends to incorporate the melody line as opposed to actually notating what the keyboardist is actually doing.

• Members

I've got a feeling that the first thing that will happen when/if this gets going is that the price will get jacked up because they'll have to deal with all kinds of publishers, studios, record companies, etc. but even so if it went up to $5.00 a song it's still gonna be better than any sheet music that could be found. From the perspective of a keyboard player I've often been disappointed with sheet music because it tends to incorporate the melody line as opposed to actually notating what the keyboardist is actually doing.

Yes, I always hated that about sheet music: arranging the music to be played on a piano by one person. If it's a rock song with keyboards, just show me the keyboard part! I was glad when I switched to guitar that there were magazines devoted to tablature and they only showed the guitar parts, not some interpretation of it.

This product sounds like something from science fiction, but I realize it is the 21st century after all...

• Members

eh, looks stupid. seems like they're getting the original tracks for popular songs.

but those popular songs that they'll be getting the isolated tracks for, they all have professional and pro-quality amateur transcriptions available all over the place. Therefore, what's the point of isolating a track?

The things I would want to isolate all the non-popular music songs that I like that DON'T have transcriptions available.

• Members

eh, looks stupid. seems like they're getting the original tracks for popular songs.

but those popular songs that they'll be getting the isolated tracks for, they all have professional and pro-quality amateur transcriptions available all over the place. Therefore, what's the point of isolating a track?

The things I would want to isolate all the non-popular music songs that I like that DON'T have transcriptions available.

The program will undoubtedly appeal more to keyboardists than other instrument (especially guitar) players. I doubt that anyone will argue that internet (as well as printed) resources for guitar players out number the resources for keys, bass and drums combined by probably 10 fold.

As you've already discovered, any learning resources are going to target the most popular and well known songs first just as a matter of becoming and staying relevant.

Archived