Anybody know about electricity--plugging PA directly into main panel?

• Members

We're playing this place on Saturday night for the first time and have heard that the place has pretty bad wiring. Supposedly most of the sound guys that go in there plug directly into the wall box (below) for clean power. Does anybody have any experience doing this and know what we would need?

Thanks.

2011-05-04_19-31-41_621.jpg

• Members

Just seeing that reminds me of the time I was trying to change the fuse in my tube amp and accidently touched a capacitator. NOT FUN! I imagine that wall is like the tube amp times 1000.

That's when I realized since I know nothing about electricity its better to let pros handle these things.

• Members

When i was young I owned a insulation company and had to jump direct into these boxes every day. Its not hard , but you have to know what you are doing. Mods suggestion of getting a electrician is a good one. He can fix you up with a way to do it and be safe. Its somthing you can do yourself , but its not somthing you can do without some training and the proper set up to hook in. and yes I did make sparks fly a couple of times hookin in direct. Never got bit doing it though .

• Members

Yeah, we're not gonna {censored} with it. The sound guy we're using doesn't know about this type of setup so I was just trying to get info for him if it wasn't too difficult to pull off. We'll just run a few extension extra cords from the pizza shop next door if needed, haha.

• Members

You would have better luck posting this in the live sound forum. That being said I doubt anyone will try and talk you through it.
I believe you would need a distro and a licensed electrician

This.

Personally, I know almost nothing about electricity. However, one of my old bands used to run everything off a distro, and I know enough to know this much: if you don't understand a distro, what it does, and how to build one yourself, then you have no business messing with this stuff. Sure, you might get lucky and achieve the result you're hoping for....but you're far more likely to either kill/injure yourself, fry your entire P.A., and/or burn down the building.

Is this gig important enough to justify hiring a qualified electrician to hook it up? If not, then don't worry about it, and just plug into whatever is available (From the sound of it, it appears bands have had power-related issues in the past, and I'm sure the club knows about the problem.... but apparently they don't think it's important enough to do anything about it).

• Members

they key is to soak your hands with water before going near the box. Water serves as an insulator and will protect you.

And make sure you ground yourself by holding onto a nearby metal pipe or something.

• Members

And make sure you ground yourself by holding onto a nearby metal pipe or something.

Yeah. I'll hold a metal tank full of gas in my other hand just to be safe, and since my hands will be full, I'll hook up the wires with my teeth.

• Members

Yeah. I'll hold a metal tank full of gas in my other hand just to be safe, and since my hands will be full, I'll hook up the wires with my teeth.

Just don't mix the gas and the water. That could be dangerous.

• Members

I don't play places with {censored}ty wiring or bad ground.

I keep a ground checker in my bag and check every new venue

helluva good idea.

BTW, isn't the electricity the responsibility of the club??????? Why should you have to pay for an electrician to wire up his place so that bands can play there???

• Members

We plugged into the regular outlets and everything was fine. Much to do about nothing.

And we rocked a house packed with young hotties.
:love:

Now you're talking!

When I toured regularly in the mid '90s, we tied in hot to distro boxes on a fairly routine basis. We had the tools and experience to do so, and we were ready for any problems. Two-man team (me and our systems guy) and one of the two was always ready with a 2x4 to knock the other guy away from the box if anything went wrong.

• Members

helluva good idea.

BTW, isn't the electricity the responsibility of the club??????? Why should you have to pay for an electrician to wire up his place so that bands can play there???

Yes, it is the venue's responsibility. I wouldn't think of paying an electrician to fix a place's wiring any more than I'd pay to fix their plumbing. How some of these places get their C.O. is beyond me. Improper wiring isn't just a buzzy PITA, it is dangerous.

I've only found bad ground wiring in a couple of places. In both instances, we were able to run an extension cord to an area of the venue that had properly wired receptacles (the last time, that was in the kitchen :freak: ).

Archived