It's the notes you don't play

• Members

Everyone's heard that advice, but my group took it to a whole new level last night. We were contracted to play a corporate at the Ritz. Show up at 5:30, check in, badges, security, etc. Play three sets, finish at 10pm-four guys 2k-not bad. We get to the green room, and they ask what we'd like to eat. They bring us the room service menu and say whatever you want. The room was ocean front and we were enjoying a great meal while watching the waves. At 6:50 they ask us to set up, so we spend 30 minutes setting up and doing a sound check, then back to the green room.

Where we spent the entire evening.

At 9:45pm they came in and apologized for not letting us go sooner, as the speeches went so long, they decided to let everyone go home. We spent the evening jamming and joking and hanging out in the green room.

They said they'd hire us again so they could hear us play.

Before I hurt myself patting myself on the back, I have to mention that the agent was in the middle of booking a one night gig for a name act at a corporate. The gig paid exactly one hundred times what our gig paid. Plus airfare and production expenses. While we were chatting, his phone went off and the gig was confirmed. Showed us exactly where we stood on the totem pole.

• Members

For real. If you know some good jokes to pass the time, your in!

next time you need a sub for that kind of gig, call me. I'll not sit in on drums, guitar, bass vox or keys... actually... I can not sit in on horns as well.

Archived