What would you do for a $50 tip?

• Members

Next time, don't share it with them....

+1 If they give you {censored} about playing something they hate and then don't participate, they don't earn that money. It's yours and yours alone.

I got a $50 tip one time in my old band in Jacksonville for singing something for someone and he gave it directly to me and said since the rest of the band didn't join in, it's not for them. He made that very clear. I still paid for food after the show with it, though...my guys didn't give me crap about it. :)

Brian V.

• Members

I routinely have my laptop set up at acoustic gigs.. and when people bring money with a tip, I'll generally look it up on Ultimate Guitar and wing it (if I've heard it enough that I'm comfortable with it).

I've done "Tik Tok", "Amarillo By Morning", and "Waiting on the World to Change" all on the fly.. making great money in tips on all of em... $200 on the latter.

We actually made a $100 tip playing "Hey There Delilah" about a month ago....

It's all good with me!

• Members

Eva Cassidy is pure velvet....taken far too soon.

Interesting to consider her career in light of the discussion on commerce/art in another thread. My understanding is that she wasn't interested to going down the commercial path, even though guys like Chuck Brown and others were in a position to make her more visible when she was still with us.

Good to see so many youtube views on this.

• Moderators

Hey, my friend used to do that song as part of his set, no tip required.

We used to play as a duo... Here's me and him doing it. Actually, it's him doing it and me sitting there; I didn't play on that one.

[video=youtube;hK-d8DVyzCc]

• Members

Laughing my ass off here at work, thanks.

we do this song from time to time along with alot of other crazy {censored}. Its bar and food joint house gig. A sturdy concert model music stand will stop a long neck thown by a 230 pound crossdressers too. Sometimes we offend people lol. Its amazing that the more you pick on them the more they come back to the shows.

• Members

I was at a bar once and this guy was playing solo and mainly doing blues, but he started playing Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and these guys in the crowd started shouting 'No more queer music'. But its actually a pretty good song.

Archived