Moonlighting story...

mstreck

• Members

I posted before about how I tried the DJ thing and hated it. Well... I was asked to do sound for a local fire hall's monthly drag show - set up my system, play some music for an hour, and then play 20 tracks from CDs for the performers. The guy's usual DJ had another commitment and they were stuck so I agreed to do the one night.

The show was last night and let me tell you, much to my surprise, it was a blast! You want showmanship? The host (hostess?) is a master at working a crowd. He even worked me into his standup act as "the straight DJ".

I thought they were going to sing karaoke, so I had my full PA set up. Turns out they only needed a wireless mic so the host could MC from backstage - everything else was lip-synced! It was an easy job AND they paid me $200 - which is twice what I make when playing a show with the band (and doing a lot more work). They asked me about the possibility of coming back to do it again next month. Our drummer is already booked, so it looks like I will.

That is all. Now back to our regularly-scheduled programming...

• Members

I rented my little PA to a piano player/singer for $350...I set it up, sat there for two and a half hours and then packed and left...easiest music money ever made...

Rod

Nice! At that rate, you could hire a helper! :thu:

I just got a facebook message asking to book me again. I could get used to this... it's a nice easy way to get money to upgrade our PA.

• Members

Nice! At that rate, you could hire a helper!
:thu:

I just got a facebook message asking to book me again. I could get used to this... it's a nice
easy way to get money
to upgrade our PA.

To buy a gun so you can shoot yourself after listening to losers pretending to sing.:facepalm::lol:

• Members

What were the songs on the CD......

Each performer had their own set of CDs. I just had to keep track and play the right ones at the right time... easy enough.

Actually, a lot of it was stuff on our playlist...Gretchen Wilson, Lady Gaga, Alicia Bridges, Nicki Manaj, Pink, Reba McEntire, Cyndi Lauper, etc.

• Members

To buy a gun so you can shoot yourself after listening to losers pretending to sing.
:facepalm::lol:

It was no worse than spinning tracks for people who are doing nothing but dancing. Actually, this was a lot better! The stand up comedy was what made it so fun. Lots of audience participation! It helped that they had a great turnout. I never would have expected it.

• Members

Someone has to pay for those shiny new trucks.

The guys parade around in dresses doing their thing and the audience members give them $1 bills. They easily make enough to pay me 200 bucks, so I'm not complaining.

• Members

i've done drag shows. they are pretty fun until someone gets all drama all over you, and i've had that happen. other than that its pretty fun stuff. last one i did also had some drab too, and thats just really weird...cute looking women in mens clothes and mustaches.....yeah thats just weird.

• Members

i've done drag shows. they are pretty fun until someone gets all drama all over you, and i've had that happen. other than that its pretty fun stuff. last one i did also had some
drab
too, and thats just really weird...cute looking women in mens clothes and mustaches.....yeah
thats just weird.

Yeah, a girl did that last night. Did Theory of a Deadman and some other song...

• Members

Someone has to pay for those shiny new trucks.

The guys parade around in dresses doing their thing and the audience members give them $1 bills. They easily make enough to pay me 200 bucks, so I'm not complaining.

You made $ 200 and all you had to do was play CD's for an hour? How many people were in the audience?

• Members

i've done drag shows. they are pretty fun until someone gets all drama all over you, and i've had that happen. other than that its pretty fun stuff. last one i did also had some
drab
too, and thats just really weird...cute looking women in mens clothes and mustaches.....yeah
thats just weird.

I doubt there is any drama involved in this, it's not like it's drag queens who take themselves seriously, it's a bunch of firemen who know they look like hell dressed as women and don't care, that's the fun part of it.

• Members

You made $ 200 and all you had to do was play CD's for an hour? How many people were in the audience?

There were 100 chairs set up and maybe 30 of them were empty. It was $8 to get in. Plus the audience was giving the "girls" $1 bills as they performed.

• Members

I doubt there is any drama involved in this, it's not like it's drag queens who take themselves seriously, it's a bunch of firemen who know they look like hell dressed as women and don't care, that's the fun part of it.

Actually, most of them were "pro" drag queens. I'm talking about title holders like "Miss Wilmington" and "Miss Delaware". I was told that they got to keep the money the made while performing, but not everyone did.

Most of them were "undetectable" when they weren't in costume.

Archived