Subbing for a classic rock band

FitchFY

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

drummers got it easy. All you gotta remember is the tempo and any "signature" fills and/or breaks the song calls for. My former drummer used to nail tunes he'd listen to in his car on the way to a gig. No way I could do that with most tunes on guitar.

• Members

drummers got it easy.
All you gotta remember is the tempo and any "signature" fills and/or breaks the song calls for. My former drummer used to nail tunes he'd listen to in his car on the way to a gig. No way I could do that with most tunes on guitar.

As respectfully as possible, only a guitarist would say something so absolutely retarded.

If you truly believe it is that simple/easy, you either don't know what you're talking about in the least, or you believe you can play 99% of any band's songs using only a single moveable bar chord and that's 'good enough'.

There's very little that's easy about playing drums in a band setting.

• Members

drummers got it easy. All you gotta remember is the tempo and any "signature" fills and/or breaks the song calls for. My former drummer used to nail tunes he'd listen to in his car on the way to a gig. No way I could do that with most tunes on guitar.

You know, TO A DEGREE, I can accept this. If you are a skilled drummer with experience, an ear to feel, groove, dynamics, etc... this can be true. Most of today's modern radio rock I can learn in 1-2 listens, mainly because it's the same feel on everything. Thanks, ProTools. :facepalm:

But playing a 4/4 backbeat to AC/DC versus a soul tune is two different worlds. But again, if the drummer is good and knows there stuff... yes, that can be true.

My guitarist is like that, actually. He'll listen to a tune on the way to a gig and know it. He's just that danged good.

• Members

I had a feeling this was going to turn into a Drummer vs. Guitarist thread.:lol::snax:

• Members

You know,
TO A DEGREE
, I can accept this. If you are a
skilled
drummer with
experience, an ear to feel, groove, dynamics,
etc... this
can
be true. Most of today's modern radio rock I can learn in 1-2 listens, mainly because it's the same feel on everything. Thanks, ProTools.
:facepalm:

But playing a 4/4 backbeat to AC/DC versus a soul tune is two different worlds. But again, if the drummer is good and knows there stuff... yes, that
can
be true.

My guitarist is like that, actually. He'll listen to a tune on the way to a gig and know it. He's just that danged good.

He must be good. My comment was in no way meant as an insult (as whatever the {censored} his name is seemed to think). I said that because I've had several different drummers tell me this in almost that exact wording. With guitar, a lot of times the convincing is in the inversion.

Drums are primarily a rhythm instrument, and guitar is a lot more expressive. That's just the way it is. I'm sure you're quite good, and meter is EVERYTHING!

• Members

I had a feeling this was going to turn into a Drummer vs. Guitarist thread.
:lol::snax:

The internet has made it very difficult to share anything... fun. :facepalm:

Regardless, I find it funny that I need to learn all the intros and outros. :)

• Members

The internet has made it very difficult to share anything... fun.
:facepalm:

Regardless, I find it funny that I need to learn all the intros and outros.
:)

Hey man, if my response is seen as a buzzkill, I'll be happy to pull it. I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade.

:idk:

• Members

Most of you know my experiences with fill-in drummers, so I'll just say this... Finding a fill-in drummer is easy, but finding the *right* fill-in drummer can be next to impossible.

I've played with fill-in drummers that really didn't know our songs but you'd never know it (these drummers also LISTEN when they play). I've also played with drummers that barely did more than keep the beat going - the entire night's "feeling" was off.

It's hard knowing what you're going to get until you get it.

• Members

Most of you know my experiences with fill-in drummers, so I'll just say this... Finding a fill-in drummer is easy, but finding the *right* fill-in drummer can be next to impossible.

I've played with fill-in drummers that really didn't know our songs but you'd never know it (these drummers also LISTEN when they play). I've also played with drummers that barely did more than keep the beat going - the entire night's "feeling" was off.

It's hard knowing what you're going to get until you get it.

This is OT, but IMO only, after lead singer, the most valuable member in the band is the drummer.

• Members

Hey man, if my response is seen as a buzzkill, I'll be happy to pull it. I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade.

:idk:

You might want to work on the implied tone of you posts. if you think there's nothing wrong with HOW you typed what you did, I'd say to expect more people taking you to task for retarded statements. Like the other one about how a guitar is a lot more expressive than drums...

Perhaps in your previous post, maybe you simply meant to say "playing drums half-assedly is easy" instead?

Hugs & Kisses,

-Whatever the {censored} his name is

• Members

You might want to work on the implied tone of you posts. if you think there's nothing wrong with HOW you typed what you did, I'd say to expect more people taking you to task for retarded statements. Like the other one about how a guitar is a lot more expressive than drums...

Perhaps in your previous post, maybe you simply meant to say "playing drums half-assedly is easy" instead?

Hugs & Kisses,

-Whatever the {censored} his name is

Sounds like you need some ointment for your butthurt.

teehee.gif

• Members

Not to denigrate drummers in any way....but I'm inclined to agree that of all instrumentalists, drummers probably have it easiest when it comes to "faking it". As long as he's somewhat familiar with the song and the arrangement, any drummer who can keep a beat should be able to fake his way through a typical bar-band song.

I'm not saying it'll be dead-on perfect or anything....but I would think the crowd would be less likely to notice a drummer playing a straightforward 4/4 beat through the whole song than, say, a guitarist or bassist who spent half the song searching for the right notes.

• Members

It is certainly easier to say to the drummer "4 on the floor, 100bpm, count us in" than to detail chords/harmony to a keyboard,guitar,bass player.

drummers got it easy

That's one way to look at it Crustee, but certainly not the only metric. Easy in what sense? Sure it might be easier to explain a part on the fly (see above in my post) but that does not mean that the drum chair has it easy. Most drummers haul a crapton of gear whereas most guitar/key/bass players I know are set up in 5 minutes.

Drums are primarily a rhythm instrument, and guitar is a lot more expressive

Non-sequitur...Woa dude...you need to check yourself. A lot more expressive...to who? Kmart is correct and that statement reveals your true bias. If you don't hear the passion in a Buddy Rich or Terry Bozzio, then you have NO CLUE DUDE. Also, I've seen and heard so many guitar players that lack feel and soul (expressiveness) but play 300 notes a second thinking they "nailed it" that I'm numb to guitar players now. I'll even go out on a limb and say that Petrucci (dream theatre) is a soulless robot.

I said that because I've had several different drummers tell me this in almost that exact wording

So your opinion is a 2nd hand one? Hmm... So you really don't know? Gotcha. Well I do. Hey Crustee, I've been playing both the guitar and drums for almost 30 years. To play either at a high level takes skill and practice. And just to prove my point here, I had a last minute call to fill-in on guitar Sunday night. I sat out in the parking lot with my laptop listening/learning 30 songs in 45minutes ON THE GUITAR. I had a lot of help from the bass and keyboard players, but still...the night (more or less) was just fine and there were NO trainwrecks.

Drums and Guitars are Apples and Oranges man...there is no valid comparison. Each has its pros and cons.

• Members

Not to denigrate drummers in any way....but I'm inclined to agree that of all instrumentalists, drummers probably have it easiest when it comes to "faking it". As long as he's somewhat familiar with the song and the arrangement, any drummer who can keep a beat should be able to fake his way through a typical bar-band song.

I'm not saying it'll be dead-on perfect or anything....but I would think the crowd would be less likely to notice a drummer playing a straightforward 4/4 beat through the whole song than, say, a guitarist or bassist who spent half the song searching for the right notes.

For a classic rock cover band, I'd mostly agree. There's lots of stuff out there that requires more than a straight 4/4 or any real timekeeping at all for that matter. :idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_works_in_unusual_time_signatures

• Members

:lol::snax:

It's not. It's just one guy that got all butthurt over something silly. Ignore and carry on.

And BTW, my drummer is the one always trying to convince me that he has it easier than anyone else in the band. :lol:

• Members

This is OT, but IMO only, after lead singer, the most valuable member in the band is the drummer.

I don't think it's off-topic at all. FitchFYneeds to be on top of those songs. If he's not, the band is going to suck. Doesn't matter if everyone else smokes them if he's unsure.

But I don't think that will be a problem.

• Members

This thread actually brings up a distinction between good bands and bad bands and why a lot of people see prices dwindling, crowds thin, etc.

It's true that a drummer can jump into a jam session could to four, play a beat and it doesn't ruin things. This is easier than a guitar or bass player, who need to know the actual chords for the song to sound good. Take that attitude from the jam room into a bar band setting and you've got a recipe for a mediocre, blah band.

On the other hand, take a drummer who's learning the songs along with the nuances, working with the bass player and lead players to get the accents right when you switch from verse to chorus, focusing on dynamics, etc., and you've got a recipe for success.

• Members

Separating guitarists from drummers and vice versa, implies that certain musicians don't have to work as hard others to be great....and that is pure bull{censored}.

All things being equal, it takes just as much time, effort, and energy to be a great guitarist as it does to be a great drummer.

Anyone who thinks differently doesn't know anything about the other instrument from a PLAYERS perspective. They haven't put in any time on the other instrument.

Archived