Craigslist response to an add.

jimiv

• Members

It seems like Craigslist is getting worse and worse over the past few years. Here is my ad (I posted on other media as well, thank god!)

We are an established and working rock cover band and we have just lost our lead vocalist. Viewing our website at www.tkzband.com will give you a good idea of the stuff we cover and where we have played. We primarily work the privates market and will be taking a break after our October 22nd gig to audition and work in a new lead vocalist to front our band. For weddings we sometimes work with a DJ who handles all of the emcee and special song requests. Our rates last year ranged from 800.00 up to 2,400.00 depending on a range of factors such as how many sets; how far we travel; etc.

We are seeking a female vocalist with strong vocal chops and a professional dynamic presence to front our rock band for the purpose of expanding range and number of songs we can cover. Age is no factor, you can be the youngest member or the oldest, but we need a strong and confident frontperson. The more versatile we are, the more value we can show to our clients and translate a higher fee. If you are in an original project right now, that's Ok,... as musicians we understand the need for artistic freedom and are not going to suffocate you with demands of loyalty, however, we expect everyone to be 100% stage ready for all gigs and rehearsals. This band is open to playing any pop/rock songs you may feel the most comfortable with as long as it gets people up and onto the dance floor. In addition to the above, we are really looking for a good bandmate who understands how to treat people with kindness and respect. If you are looking for bandmembers to start your own project, this is not it.

This a response.

I'm looking forward to the auditions! (On that note, where will the auditions be held? I'm willing to travel where the Metro takes me and my two feet ;) ) What material are you guys going to assign me? lay it on me brother! lol I'll be waiting ,but until then, keep on groovin'!

PS i play by ear and dont know the notes or chords too well on the piano (Basically, i dont know all the technical stuff...)

• Members

Maybe I'm thick, but I don't see anything really wrong with that response. You didn't indicate the level of musical proficiency you required in your ad that I could see, you just said you needed a strong singer and a good front person. I have played with lots of really good singers who didn't know any instruments or theory or even which keys they sang certain songs well in. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss someone based on that response, but that's just me.

• Members

Maybe I'm thick, but I don't see anything really wrong with that response. You didn't indicate the level of musical proficiency you required in your ad that I could see, you just said you needed a strong singer and a good front person. I have played with lots of really good singers who didn't know any instruments or theory or even which keys they sang certain songs well in. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss someone based on that response, but that's just me.

Yeah, maybe so, the metro thing tells me no car which is a problem around here and I don't know, compared to the other responses we are used to, it seemed really off base. Plus, when you have no tracks to send of your vocals, it says a little more. I mean who doesn't have tracks of their work these days.

• Members

Yeah, maybe so, the metro thing tells me no car which is a problem around here and I don't know, compared to the other responses we are used to, it seemed really off base. Plus, when you have no tracks to send of your vocals, it says a little more. I mean who doesn't have tracks of their work these days.

Did your ad ask for tracks?

Not trying to bust your chops, but there is a gal here in town who is really overweight, lives in a little shack with her kid, has no car and probably couldn't drive one if she did. I did a pickup gig with her a few years ago and when the guy who hired me said he had to go pick her up (I was following him) and saw where she lived, the no car thing, and her size, I was thinking "Loser!" That is, until after we set up she changed clothes, put on her makeup, did her hair and started to sing. Holy crap! I almost couldn't play because I was busy listening to her. She had the crowd in the palm of her hand, had bald guys coming up to get their heads rubbed, and could wail like no one's business. And now shes in one of the top bands in town, and the guys in the band gladly go out of their way to go get her for rehearsal and gigs.

Maybe this gal in the CR ad response is a complete flake. I don't know, but that experience taught me to never pre-judge. You just never know until you give them a shot.

• Members

Did your ad ask for tracks?

No, the ad was as I posted it. Her first response was merely that she was interested. My follow-up asked for tracks and pics. I almost always do. Here is an example of what we are used to getting from one of our responses: http://www.bandmix.com/melissa-jane/

Maybe I'm missing the boat here, but i just thought that the craigslist responses seem to be more and more lame these days thats all.

• Members

Not trying to bust your chops, but there is a gal here in town who is really overweight, lives in a little shack with her kid, has no car and probably couldn't drive one if she did. I did a pickup gig with her a few years ago and when the guy who hired me said he had to go pick her up (I was following him) and saw where she lived, the no car thing, and her size, I was thinking "Loser!" That is, until after we set up she changed clothes, put on her makeup, did her hair and started to sing. Holy crap! I almost couldn't play because I was busy listening to her. She had the crowd in the palm of her hand, had bald guys coming up to get their heads rubbed, and could wail like no one's business. And now shes in one of the top bands in town, and the guys in the band gladly go out of their way to go get her for rehearsal and gigs.

Maybe this gal in the CR ad response is a complete flake. I don't know, but that experience taught me to never pre-judge. You just never know until you give them a shot.

Just no time to audition people with no references and no tracks and a response like that. Just sayin

• Members

Just no time to audition people with no references and no tracks and a response like that. Just sayin

If you don't have time to audition people after you put out a cattle call, I'm thinking you might want to be more precise in advertising what you're looking for. Your ad was a little vague, and in all fairness, IMO you kind of capped on this girl for not meeting your unstated expectations. A phrase like "experienced pros only" or "must have own transportation" or "must send tracks and resume to...." go a long way toward weeding out those who you aren't looking for. I dunno, I just think it's kind of harsh to laugh at someone who responds to your ad because they aren't clairvoyant and aren't clear on what your expectations are. I certainly get the lack of time thing, though.

• Members

I dismiss responses out-of-hand when they're that full of punctuation mistakes and net-isms. I may be missing out on some great players, but that lack of command of the written language is really frustrating to me, and I'm always embarrassed when they wind up being the contact person and represent the band like that to potential venue owners and clients.

• Members

Agreed. Technical knowledge and actual musical ability are two completely different things. For example, the best two guitarists I know can't read music, and they can both play circles around the best guitarist I know who can read music.

• Members

So ask them to send you references and tracks. Maybe they were just so excited to find a band to potentially play with? I know locally - a lot of female singers get relegated to "second lead singer".

One of my female friends and I were discussing this last night over a few drinks. She's a classically trained singer who has been singing in a Reggae band just to gt to play out and she finally quit because she was singing back up most of the time behind a guy who can't sing as well as she can. She's never sang metal, but I'm considering getting her to demo some material with me just to see how well she does.... and if she owns it, I'm considering asking her about being the lead singer in the band I am putting together.

The one negative that I have found about being in a band with a female singer is when their boyfriend/mate turns out to be a "male Yoko Ono", but luckily - she doesn't have on of those. LOL

Archived