More CL fun!

• Members

Playing classical guitar by myself, it takes $150/gig before I think of leaving the house. I'd probably do it with the rehersal for $250 & the meal, giving them a deal.

Any less, and I have better things to do.

Yup - that sounds about right. $100 min/player for string quartets (Ceremony only/1 hour total time) is pretty standard around here (Albuquerque) although I'm aware of some groups/musicians doing it for less than that. My group does 25-35 weddings a year so clearly there are clients willing to pay a decent amount for our services.

I don't really see a problem with the CL ad, though. A college music student that wants to get into this kind of work might take it. That's how I got started, actually. I think our first gig as a quartet in 1985 was for $40 and a bottle of wine. We finished the gig, drank the wine, then went and got some pizza. Not a bad Saturday night for some 19 year old kids! (whoops - I guess that means we broke the law :lol:). A solo gig is a bit harder, though - talk about exposure. Not that many people do solo wedding gigs on violin. Harp maybe, or guitar - something that sounds full on it's own. Maybe cello.

• Members

Is it just me, or do some of you tire as well, of talking about the bottom of the barrel, down in the gutter level of the music business? Sure I get the entertainment value of it all, the stupidity of it all...but it seems we need to talk more about how to climb out of this place. Weddings can hire homeless people of the street or they can do it right and pull in a real band and make it a once in a lifetime experience. I'd rather talk about how the latter make it work.

• Members

Weddings can hire homeless people of the street or they can do it right and pull in a real band and make it a once in a lifetime experience. I'd rather talk about how the latter make it work.

Part of the way I like to make it work is knowing that they've hired a homeless guy to play the flute during the ceremony. Then I know they've got more money left over for the reception band. :D

But seriously, one thing we do if offer ceremony music. We can't be a cello or a flute, but if they want piano, or a couple of acoustic guitars or singing, we'll throw that in for an extra couple of hundred bucks. Better than them giving that to somebody else.

Archived