Six months of hard work, one gig, and it starts, or actually ends!

• Members

Some explanation of why it took six months... The group started off at nine members, with the expected issues of finding time when we could all get together. Then, the lead singer "found" two more horn players, and two more ladies to back up the pair of lead vocalists, which complicated things even more. But, after the first couple of practice sessions you could tell that things were going to click musically, and even with the issues it seemed worth the effort. Then, we decided we needed to replace the lead guitarist, and the bass player, and we went through three of each till we landed the ones we wanted. As expected, with each change there was a restart as we worked out the song list, and arrangements. There were also three different drummers who auditioned, and against my better judgement, we ended up with the son of the keyboard player who was already playing in a busy band. But, his father and the lead singer wanted to have him on board for this first gig, and he is also very good!
The final collaboration, which were together for only the last month, practiced hard for the time before the gig, and we got tight... We knew the drummer was going to be leaving, but all agreed that one of the other guys would work, and he was willing to wait to start...

The current issue seems to be that there is a group willing to go forward, but we cannot find the replacements quickly, and some have lost the desire to go through all of this again... And, considering scaling down, is off the table, because the singers have formed a "union"...
The latest is that some of them think we can survive, but the interval between practices is going to be very long. And, at that point, I consider this to be the beginning of the end, because we will be even more months away from "ready", and the events that we are trying to be a part of will be long over.

All in all, I must admit I may have expected too much, and now must face the fact that this cannot work, because too many of the people involved cannot dedicate the time needed to get tight, and stay there... But damn, we sound so friggin good when we have the whole group together it is hard to walk away!
If you have never been in a horn band, you probably cannot understand.

• Members

And, one more thing... There is a market for this type of music, and the only other group which is also large is headed up by a 77 year old local legend, who is about done! We would be filling that niche at that point. And, the gigs are mostly corporate, or private parties, and well funded!

• Members

The latest is that some of them think we can survive, but the interval between practices is going to be very long.

The horn section I'm playing with now has been together for a while, so they're set. Apparently we're going to fill the drum chair by committee, starting this Saturday. I'll be curious to see how well he works out, having never rehearsed.

The challenge for us will be vocal harmony, and I expect the solution - which might help you as well - will be sectional rehearsals.

• Members

We have been using sectional rehearsals, vocal, brass, and others, along with DVDs to each member, and that has worked very to insure that everyone shows up at rehearsals prepared to play their parts. And, we are planning a meeting next weekend, to see what is going to happen next. If we can find replacements, and work the sectionals out there may be some hope that this project can survive... I'm just not very optimistic, because every time we bring someone new in there is the predictable BS of getting everyone on the same page again... It's like herding cats!

• Members

We have been using sectional rehearsals, vocal, brass, and others, along with DVDs to each member, and that has worked very to insure that everyone shows up at rehearsals prepared to play their parts. And, we are planning a meeting next weekend, to see what is going to happen next. If we can find replacements, and work the sectionals out there may be some hope that this project can survive... I'm just not very optimistic, because every time we bring someone new in there is the predictable BS of getting everyone on the same page again... It's like herding cats!

You may have mentioned this earlier . . . . do you have a leader? Someone who can clearly define what the band is all about to prospective new members?

• Members

I think you just keyed on the real issue... The original project was my idea, and we started off as a two-headed dragon, when I asked the lead singer if he wanted to give it a go... He took a year to decide, and I jumped in... Then we got the horn section started, which brought in a very talented, and experienced player, who became the musical director. I deferred to the lead singer, as leader, because he brought most of the players in. That has lead us to this point...

• Members
The size of the band doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. I'm in six piece with everyone all on the same page and everyone gets along great.

This is true. We are a 5 piece. Everyone has lives so we get together and practice when we can. We gig as often as we want to. There could be a month or two of nothing, then a couple weekends in a row. Always the biggies (Halloween, NYE etc) so its all good. No one is itching to gig every weekend, we just have that balance.

We are all older, have lives etc. so a band does fit in with children, spouses, etc etc.

But again, we are all on the same page.

:thu:

• Members

But again, we are all on the same page.

Yep. I guess some lessons should be given on how the write the page, but I doubt there's any "one size fits all" standard that could be taught.

All I can say is it's a balance between A) having a solid and attractive gameplan that will attract the right kind of people/musicians B) keeping things flexible so you fit as many people onto the page as possible C) knowing when someone simply isn't going to work and letting them go rather than struggling to keep them on board.

Who our band is and what we do and how we do it has morphed with each membership change/addition. And while some of that is just stuff that will happen naturally and regardless, some of it has been slightly forced as well. Playing to the musical and off-stage strengths of each member, keeping everyone as happy as possible and keeping the band in a strict focus is a delicate balancing act sometimes but, like managing any other business, pays off in the end.

And I should probably add that when I talk about "running your band like a business" that doesn't necessarily mean from a financial standpoint. Whether you're working for $500 a gig or $10,000 a gig the basic rules of business and management still apply.

Archived