Playing with a broken limb

• Members

Hey guys, maybe a slightly less polarizing thread than the clothing one :D Has anyone ever had to play a show with a broken leg? I injured myself playing rugby and snapped my fibula near the ankle. Problem is we have a big rock show opening for a band "Red Sky Mary" (AWESOME BAND) at a really cool venue here in NH.

Has anyone ever played with a cast? Any tips on operating a pedalboard? Any way to avoid a chair so that I can be part of the show as opposed to sitting for a big rock show?

Thanks!

• Members

I did a show with a broken ankle. It was an outdoor concert at Southern Illinois University. I sat on one of my bass cabs and put my leg up on my monitor. I didn't use a pedal board but if I did I would use my good leg or put it on top of another cab and use my hands. Put it out front and don't be afraid to show off your cast. Actually, did you get a cast? Sometimes they don't cast a fractured fibula.

• Members

When I was in Jr High, I played trumpet with my left arm in a splint. (they never used a cast for any of the 3 broken left arm injuries I had back then.) Might need some extra painkillers and a comfortable chair to sit on.

• Members

I broke the ring finger bone in my left hand a few years ago, but kept on gigging for a few months until it healed. The doc wanted to put a fingertips to elbow cast on it, but I convinced him to leave my first two fingers and my thumb free so I could play guitar. Just tuned it to an open E chord and kept on working. It wasn't fun, but I got through it.

Only weird thing is that now I have no knuckle when I make a fist.

mikesfist.jpg

• Members

Time to "cowboy up". (Not really.) I like the idea of flaunting the cast. Cut off a pant leg, and dare someone to give you crap about playing in shorts.

I've marched and played in parades (bass drummer in a bagpipe band) with my right hand in a cast. Mark C.

• Members

the thing i would think about is swelling. You try to spend that much time on your feet,, you might have swelling issues and that can be bad. the good news is that you can play the show ,, it just might not be as pretty as you like. elevate that leg during your breaks and stay sober so you can keep a good eye on how your leg is holding up. Iwould say break a leg ,, but you already did that lol

• Members

I played shows in what's called a "Bledsoe boot" when I tore an Achilles tendon. It was the big heavy boot with adjustable cams because my foot had to be angled down. I needed crutches to stand for long periods so it was either a chair or a stool. Have you tried playing on a stool instead of sitting on a chair? That gets you up at eye level with the other players and gives you more stage presence.

Archived