Signing a contract and income taxes

Sgt. Rock

• Members
This thread is becoming political. Please, reverse it back to the OP's question.

Yeah, you're right, I went off the deep end there for a bit......back to the OP, ...I do claim all of my verifiable musician expenses on my taxes as well as income...including the cash. I do know that many don't and it really pisses me off.....ooops sorry, did it again.:p

• Members

Well yeah, if you cheat on your taxes, you don't really have any business telling others what they should pay, regardless of the income level of any of the parties. Of course, anyone can have an opinion, but when you go beyond that and advocate for a policy, perhaps you should make sure your walking the walk. Glass houses and all..................

So if low-income folks who maybe have cheated on their taxes have no right to talk about the rich paying higher rates, does that follow that only rich people who have never taken a bit of extra income under the table or never over-stated a deduction have a right to talk about the tax rates poorer people pay???

Sorry, but that's just nonsense. What does how one conducts their own financial business have much of anything to do with having an opinion on something like what the marginal tax rates in the nation should be?

• Members
I just joined a band in December and we have three attorneys in the band. We have a contract for EVERY gig that includes riders. We played a very good paying benefit gig last night and had to complete W-8 forms before they would pay us. It was in a highrise, took us 2.5 hours to setup/sound check, performed for 3 hours, and took us one to load out.

we usually alot 2.5 hours for setup/sound check and on average 1.25 hours for teardown/loadout.

• Members

Usually 1.5 hours for setup and an hour for breakdown, depending on the gig.

Under optimum conditions (i.e., easy load-in, big stage where everybody can be setting up simultaneously, etc.) we can get set up and sound checked in 1 hour. We plan to arrive 2 hours before gig time. It gives plenty of time for setup - and enough cushion to deal with unexpected traffic issues (which translates to somebody being a little late), less than optimum stage access issues and/or the inevitable technical burps encountered during setup. When all is said and done - it usually means we're done with a half hour to spare.

I work with a sense of urgency during setup and teardown. However, I hate the sense of being rushed! I'd much rather arrive a little too early and find myself with the luxury of a little "spare" time before the downbeat - than to try and time it tight and find myself facing a time crunch in which I'm "running out of runway" !!!!!

Archived