Need to vent.. the most unprofessional thing in my 10 years in this...

Blackbird 13

• Members

And more recently.. we played a place that offered us $350+the door. We hesitantly accepted the offer, but originally wanted $600, because it was an event- Well, the place was packed and we retained 90%+ of the crowd right up to 2am. We knew the guy working the door (and paid him by agreeing to buy his drinks .. $50 roughly), he told us they made over $300 at the door, yet- we only got $410 for the night. Got told to deal with it (don't remember the exact words, but that was the sentiment) when we questioned the fuzzy math. Told them next time we play there, it will be accompanied by a signed, enforceable contract. Probably won't ever play there again.

Sorry to hear this, been my experience if they say you get part of the cover charge, might as well bend over, about all your going to get out of the deal. Signed contract is a different deal but every show I've done that promised that it never happened in my personal experience.

• Members

Have a gig booked at a place an hour and a half away. We FedEx'd the posters a little over two weeks in advance, as we did with any place not in the immediate vicinity. Arrive at the venue to set up, there's another band setting up. manager who books isn't there and isn't available. They basically told us they double booked, and to discuss it with the manager on Monday. No apology, no offer for dinner or anything for our wasted 3 hours of driving to and from the venue. We tried to take a professional approach and contact the manager on Monday, who dodged our calls and never called us back. Spineless coward. Never spoke with them again, by their choice.

I prevent this sort of thing by calling the place the day before the gig. When I call, I do it under the guise that I wanted to confirm what time we start at tomorrow night (9:00 or 9:30?) but I am really calling to see if they forgot we are booked or booked someone else by accident (or on purpose) so that my band and myself don't waste several hours of prep time and on-the-road travel time. If they forgot, sure, I'd be pissed, but at least I'm not pissed showing up at the gig and finding out another band is there (or worse, they weren't expecting us at all). So far, it's working out well. I haven't had a double booking happen yet (but there's always a first time).

• Members

Texting, email and FB just facilitates passive aggressive behavior. When some weasel is screwing you over, we will just try to avoid being called out on it. I am a fossil and still try to do face to face booking and go as far as following up with a driveby sometimes. I try to build a relationship with management. You never know. maybe management is screwing over someone who booked a gig through facebook by having me come in to play since he knows me.

• Members

Unless it's your guy working the door... so if you were "paying" the guy working the door how did the money not go directly to you? Did I miss something?

Yeah I wish it were that simple- There's some details that even I'm not clear on about this door guy. The person on our side who handled the booking and everything was not entirely clear before the show and wanted nothing more than for us to just "let it go" when the pay issue revealed itself. I would have personally taken that road to the bitter end, but my bandmates preferred to just let it be and agree to not play there again. I think there was some shadyness on both sides, but can't prove it.

• Members

Unless it's your guy working the door... so if you were "paying" the guy working the door how did the money not go directly to you? Did I miss something?

Yeah I wish it were that simple- There's some details that even I'm not clear on about this door guy. He is a friend of the the person on our side who handled the booking and everything, which was not entirely clear before the show and then he wanted nothing more than for us to just "let it go" when the pay issue revealed itself. I would have personally taken that road to the bitter end, but my bandmates preferred to just let it be and agree to not play there again. I think there was some shadyness on both sides, but can't prove it.

• Members

The worst Ive had was getting double booked, showing up to the other band setting up, but being offered to work in the bar/kitchen all night since half the staff had quit that day.

I know what verbal abuse would have come out of my mouth, but curious what came out of yours after such a fantastic counter-offer !

• Members

Do you bring a band wife to your gigs? If so, and you are collecting from the door, sit her by the door guy with one of those clicker things. Assuming she has the temperament required for the task!

Good call, this was a RARE gig, as we normally do not work for any portion of the door anymore. In fact, that was the first time in 2012 for us. And the last.

• Members

very rarely have we NOT been screwed by door money...so we do flat fees in every place we play but one.

Once (years ago) we were playing for a smaller flat fee and door money with our bassist's brother working the door. EVEN then a shady bar owner tried to screw us!!!!

At the end of the night the owner demanded the money be given to him and HE would pay the band. Bassist's bro said no and then owner refused to give us our flat rate and that we made "enough" at the door. :facepalm:

Archived