Lead Singers Who 'Only Sing'

• Members

Well, I guess it all depends on the situation, genre, etc. etc., i.e. folk duo, jazz trio, etc. etc.....However I will say from my own experience that finding a singer who can actually sing is so {censored}ing hard that I was always more than happy to find that and couldn't care less if that's all they did...I also found that when musos doubled on vox and another instrument they could never do both as well as they could do each one individually...I suppose they're out there, I just never met one LOL

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, you know, the one where Daltry does nothing but sing

Don't forget dancing around when Pete or John are singing lead. :thu:

I always found it fascinating that he basically led his own band, was the lead guitarist, hired John, then Pete, then decided he was going to be the lead singer...and not play anything. Even Mick Jagger tries to play rhythm guitar once in a while. I think the only Who song Daltry plays guitar on live is "Eminence Front," although he might do it more often lately with songs from the 'new' album (2006).

• Members

Don't know if I can offer much to this situation at hand, but I'm currently a lead singer. (And it's a metal band, so those who normally discredit us metalheads can stop reading now...) I started out playing guitar 18 years ago and have always loved pushing myself and got a kick out of learning other instruments.

I'd say I'm a 'musician' before I would say I'm a 'singer', 'guitarist', etc. Jack of all trades, master of nothing.

I don't think it's every musicians responsibility to do this, it's just the way that seemed natural to me. Gives me insight to the big picture.

I only sing in the band I'm in now. I would LOVE it if someone stepped up for ANY kind of singing...gang vocals, harmonies, a verse, a chorus...ANYTHING. While I wouldn't call myself a 'screamer', I definitely utilize a rougher, James Hetfield/Layne Staley voice, so any break I can take will be cherished.

I'm heavily involved in our songwriting (well, in the month and a half I've been in this band) and the guys were very welcoming of that. I tend to hear the songs as a whole while they're in the beginning stages, what each instrument is doing and the arrangement. The guys get carried away rockin' out parts too long or just jamming and I tend to be the task master that focuses them, which has proven to be a positive thing for us.

No leaders in the band, just 5 dudes with similar ideas, mutual respect and faith in each other to do whatever we gotta do to make the songs the best we can.

• Members

this ^ sounds a lot like my situation. i am also a player who sings, a jack of all trades sort of musician.

so, rev: how would you would respond to the situation i described in the OP, where a potential 'lead' singer wants to join your band but cannot contribute in any other meaningful way? would you still continue to sing lead on songs if that means that the new guy would basically sit on the bench for those songs? (maybe this scenario doesn't bother you so much) or would you simply not bother adding this guy to your lineup in the first place?

• Members

I used to be a multi-instrumentalist, but dropped everything except keyboards because I thought I could be more successful playing the hell out of one instrument instead of sucking on all of 'em.

Was this a good idea? In my case, I'm a MUCH better keyboard player than I was 5 years ago, and I attribute this in large part to better focus.

Why do vocalists get treated differently than, say, saxophonists? Or harmonica players?

• Members

but you still ARE a multi-instrumentalist! if the band needed someone to bang away on some power chords for a song or two, you could do it, right?

i have no problem with someone who CHOOSES to specialize, however, with most of the 'lead singers' i encounter, it seems less like a choice they have made and more about them being too lazy to try...

also i find, for 95% of the songs i'm looking to play, having killer chops on guitar, keys, drums, or vocals isn't the top priority, as these songs aren't that difficult to play! of course there will be exceptions, but chances are that most half-decent guitarists or keyboardists will be able to pick up most of the songs (which are really just chord changes for 90% of those 95% of songs) without much difficulty.

• Members

Not really. I played guitar the other night when I hosted a small jam because one of the players wanted to try my keyboard rig and was really enjoying it. First time in YEARS that I played more than 10 minutes in a week. My fingers hurt like f---, my thumb grew a giant blister and I sucked pretty bad. Even playing Irish folk tunes. Root position easy chords (CDEFGA) came out okay, but barre chords really hurt my hand and I couldn't play the A shape without using four fingers. Power chords like x577xx, yeah, they were fine but I really had to think about where I was on the neck.

Similarly, that night, I found that my tin whistle playing had massively gone downhill after 5 years of complete disuse, and a few months ago I observed that my saxophone embouchure -- which had been unused since 1995 -- was pretty much non-existant. Once upon a time, that was my main instrument.

I bet if I could find my tipper I would sprain my wrist trying to play anything on bodhran, and the last time I played congas I inflamed my median nerves so badly I couldn't type the next day.

So, it's been long enough that I couldn't really gig on another instrument with embarassing myself. I don't consider myself a multi-instrumentalist anymore. Some day, I will at least learn to sing backup, though. Right now, my singing is pretty awful. Pitchy, poor timbre, I need a teacher. It's too bad, because I really love to sing. I know my ear is good enough -- I'm a great whistler.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stevesherbert View Post
by 'classic who lineup', do you mean the one with pete townsend singing half the parts?
Half the parts is a vast vast exaggeration. Maybe a tenth, and none of the signature vocal fireworks that made The Who the pioneers that practically invented Rock.

I sing. About as much as Pete Townsend did. Analogy stays.

(I could have said the classic Zep lineup, but I'm not budging now.) cop.gif

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I recently joined a band. There are only three of us for the time being: a bassist, a guitarists and I am the guy who "only sings". I feel that if you are with a group of guys who have a similar vision for the music y'all are making and are open to input from all of your bandmates, having another musical mind on your side benefits everyone. Also, having a guy to write down all of your songs, neatly, and keep it organized is pretty convenient. I think that attitude is important and if you're a flaky deuch, especially one who only sings, you're easily replaceable. 

• Members

So this new 'lead' singer won't be required to sing lead vocals on every song?

Then he's not technically a lead singer. He's a co-singer with you.

So either you hand over all lead vocal duties to him or you find something for him to do when he's not singing lead.

I'm not a fan of singers going off the stage mid show, unless it's a situation like the old days when, say Ella Fitzgerald sang in front of a band but went off when they played instrumental numbers, or if it's a party type band where costume changes are appropriate.

If you still want to sing lead on a few songs and he plays no instrument, then - I think he should sing back-up vocals/harmonies with you.

I'm also not really in favour of just shoving a percussion instrument into someone's hand when they aren't actually a percussionist.

People standing behind congas going tip tap, take note. :catmad:

And just bashing a tambourine is pretty crap too in the hands of a non-instrumentalist when compared to an actual percussionist playing it.

So for me, if you must continue singing some lead vocals, he HAS to be your backing singer on them.

This might mean you changing some of the songs you sing lead on, so you two can work as a team of co-vocalists if the songs you do aren't suitable for him to join in on.

Also it might be good for both of you to work out new songs together as a bonding exercise. You know, chuck out some old songs and bring in some new. Also helps freshen up things.

But as has been said, if he isn't THAT amazing a singer/frontman - why bother having him in the band anyway?

You need to discuss it all with your bandmates really.

Best of luck.

:)

Archived