SM58 Grill

Potts

• Members

Dumbest question ever... My 58 is a mess- it's all dented, crushed and even torn. I purchased a replacement the other day but can't get the old one off. The mic will unscrew into two but the grill won't budge. It's supposed loosen right?

• Moderators

Yeah. The whole ball will unscrew from the body of the mike. You could very carefully try some WD-40 making sure not to get any into the upper part and into the elements of the mic but you really really really want to be careful with that.

But yes, the ball unscrews just like you figure it would.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

Yeah. The whole ball will unscrew from the body of the mike. You could very carefully try some WD-40 making sure not to get any into the upper part and into the elements of the mic but you really really really want to be careful with that.

But yes, the ball unscrews just like you figure it would.

Thanks Lee! Maybe I should hang it upside down and spray a little on there? Whatcha think?

• Members

Potts wrote:

Dumbest question ever... My 58 is a mess- it's all dented, crushed and even torn. I purchased a replacement the other day but can't get the old one off. The mic will unscrew into two but the grill won't budge. It's supposed loosen right?

Try wrapping the upper part of the mic, just below the grill, with some protective material, then take a large pliers or channel lock and hold the upper part with the wrench.  Then twist off the ball.  That should do it. 

• Members

minn12 wrote:

Potts wrote:

Try wrapping the upper part of the mic, just below the grill, with some protective material, then take a large pliers or channel lock and hold the upper part with the wrench.  Then twist off the ball.  That should do it. 

Yep! That was the solution! Thanks!

Archived