I have to ask...

CliffordN

• Members

Being from Louisiana, I was exposed to music, and lots of it, at an early age. Now, I'm sure that a lot of folks have some familiarity with traditional Cajun music, Zydeco, and more probably the Funk from out of New Orleans... But, I wonder how many are familiar with the other local genre, Swamp Pop... It's been around from the late Fifties, and just seems to go on and on. We play for old folks, and the kids get out there dancing too! The Jitterbug is alive and well in Louisiana, and people still like to dance slow and close...

Here's an example...

I wish I could say the same for Mississippi... But, if we play this stuff here folks will sit on their hands....

• Members

We went to a club in Hagerstown, MD, a couple of years ago.  Everything the band played was suitable for jitterbug.  A local jitterbug club turned out in full force to dance. . . .  complete with red and black leather jackets.

I looked up Van Broussard. . . . his first hit was recorded in the 50s.  There's something to be said for a region that supports its own music despite what's on the national top 40.  Much more likely to be authentic, have broader appeal . . .  and be danceable.

• Members

I'm from South MS, Hattiesburg area originally, and have played with many, many Hancock County (Bay St. Louis area) musicians through the years. My college roommate and best friend/guitar player is from there. And yes, South Louisiana and Hancock County, MS is the hotbed for this genre.

I've played several gigs (Modern Country), to the sound of crickets, in Hancock County over the years while my friends' Swamp Pop bands pack the same rooms with the same tunes every weekend. I've also played as nearby as neighboring Harrison County (Gulfport area) to large and enthusiastic crowds while the same Swamp Pop bands experience the crickets.

So yes, I can attest there is a cultural and musical divide that is easily recognizable in that area of the country. It's weird, but the Acadian ancestors down there have their own thing going and they support the heck out of it!

• Members

jcpatte2 wrote:

It's weird, but the Acadian
ancestors
down there have their own thing going and they support the heck out of it!

I suspect you meant "descendants" - although it does take more than a little death to stop us Acadians from partying wink.gif.

Archived