It's The Little Things Like This....

• Members

.... that make me feel really good about what we do and the way we go about it.  Just goes to show there are all SORTS of ways to reach people when you're performing for them.   Just got this email a few minutes ago:

THANK YOU!!!!!
What a fantastic event.  I have to tell you I danced with my husband for the FIRST TIME EVER.  We

• Members

Thanks, but I posted that mostly just to remind us all that we often connect with people in subtle ways that maybe we're not even aware of.   It's great that this lady told me that we made the night special for her, but I imagine (I hope anyway) that this happens many more times but people aren't going to bother to take the time to send an email.

As musicians/entertainers, we all possess the unique ability to touch people in special ways.   For us, it was just playing some song for the millionth time.  For her, it was a very special moment.   We shouldn't take for granted what we all do up on stage or the power we possess.   It's a rare gift and a blessing to be able to entertain folks and sometimes be a meaningful part of their lives. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

LOL.. I just got one too! I'd also have to say that getting a surprise email like this completly made my day!  (Obviously she was drunk judging by her wonderful comments)  ;)

Message details:

Email: kheubuschXX@xxxxxx

Date: 04 August 2013

Subject: Last Night

Dear Mr. Porter,

My name is Katie XXXXX, and I am a student at Keuka College. I spent the evening at the batting cages yesterday evening and I couldn't help but to overhear the sounds of a brilliantly voiced musician playing songs by my favorite artists including Simon & Garfunkel, and the Zac Brown Band (Me and Julio are both Simon and Garfunkel by the way haha I heard you ask the crowd) from the Grille next door. I just had to email the staff from the restaurant and inquire as to who the voice of this amazing musician belonged to so I could reach out to him personally. I have been a musician for the past 15 out of my 18 years of life and could only aspire to be as talented as a musician such as yourself. It was an absolute treat to hear you while I was getting a good work out last evening and I was so glad to be able to get your name. Thank you, and have a wonderful day.

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Nice! Makes so much of the other BS we often have to put up with worth it, doesn't it?

I know right? I hate to be so negative, but this summer has been really long and I'm not loving all the gigging. It's way too much and I seriously believe the full-time thing is a young person's game. Or maybe I just can't hang. Whatever- getting this email was a Godsend after a long week of thinking not many were paying attention.

Archived