Psyching myself up for show 4 of the weekend

TrickyBoy

• Members

Tonight will be show 4 of a Thurs - Sun gig at the Swamp in Ft Walton Beach. I don't know how people do this regularly. My voice feels like crap and I'm exhausted. Honestly I'm worried about how well I'm going to be able to sing tonight. In addition, Meagan's been going the whole weekend with a pinched nerve in her back.

On a positive note, the first 3 nights have been amazing. Hopefully we can muscle through tonight. Lots of tea with honey today!!!

• Members

Good luck with that!  I'm just starting to move this morning - and am lamenting how stiff and sore I am from my only gig this weekend !!!  (in defense of my wimpiness ... there were alot of steps involved in last night's load-in and load-out!!!!) 

• Members

I feel ya dude...I'm on 7 in a row with 2 today and it sucks. I'm drinking some throat coat tea and hoping for the best. I have no idea why I do this every summer. I'd take a good solid look at today's setlist and drop anything that's questionable no matter how much the band wants to argue it.

• Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

Tonight will be show 4 of a Thurs - Sun gig at the Swamp in Ft Walton Beach. I don't know how people do this regularly. My voice feels like crap and I'm exhausted. Honestly I'm worried about how well I'm going to be able to sing tonight. In addition, Meagan's been going the whole weekend with a pinched nerve in her back.

On a positive note, the first 3 nights have been amazing. Hopefully we can muscle through tonight. Lots of tea with honey today!!!

So how did it go?

• Members

Potts wrote:

TrickyBoy wrote:

So how did it go?

Well it went.  LOL.  I struggled.  Was able to rap no problem, but had to cut out some songs.  Luckily, Meagan was a trooper.  Not to make excuses, but I figured out that a huge part of the problem (that I didn't mention originally), is that the 4 gigs were all outside in amazingly humid and hot Florida weather.  I felt really good leading into the first set of night 4 (warmed up and had no problem singing my tunes), but 30 minutes in of 95 degree, high humidity weather, I was totally dehydrated, and my voice couldn't keep up.  I drank at least 3 16 oz waters per set.  Probably sweated 6.  Stinky!!!!

All that being said, the crowd was really into us and the club loved us, so...  I can't complain.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

Tonight will be show 4 of a Thurs - Sun gig at the Swamp in Ft Walton Beach.
I don't know how people do this regularly.
My voice feels like crap and I'm exhausted. Honestly I'm worried about how well I'm going to be able to sing tonight. In addition, Meagan's been going the whole weekend with a pinched nerve in her back.

well trained voices with proper technique.   It also helps to have a band that knows how to transpose on the fly.   I am playing for two different front men in two project.  Both of these guys have been playing 5 and 6 nights a week for years.   Now mind you both these guys are full time pros.   The big thing i notice is these guys both run with a small footprint when it comes to gear they haul around and they expect the band guys they play with to hit new material cold as a band. 

• Members

TIMKEYS wrote:

TrickyBoy wrote:

Tonight will be show 4 of a Thurs - Sun gig at the Swamp in Ft Walton Beach.
I don't know how people do this regularly.
My voice feels like crap and I'm exhausted. Honestly I'm worried about how well I'm going to be able to sing tonight. In addition, Meagan's been going the whole weekend with a pinched nerve in her back.

Well trained voices with proper technique.   

IMO a well-trained voice and proper technique will only carry you so far. Banging on your cords 3 hours a night 10-15 nights in a row will trash your voice no matter who you are. It's about making accommodations, changing keys, dropping songs that strain your voice, not speaking during the day, staying overly hydrated, vocal warmups and cool down and any superstition you can find to make you think you're taking care of your voice.

LOL.. I dropped about 40 tunes for the summer, stopped eating chicken wings, started obsessing with warmups and stopped drinking Coke. I think the only real help was the coke.

• Members

Reino Tulonen wrote:

You'll make it! Just drink the tea, take it easy and open up your voice well before going on stage!

:) The original post was from a month ago. BUT...your comment is good advice but the issue is whether or not one CAN open up their voice before or during the performance.

Archived