Starting to really like doing acoustic gigs

TrickyBoy

• Members

Generally, I've always enjoyed full band gigs more than when Meagan and I do acoustic duo stuff.  But lately, I'm really starting to dig the acoustic gigs.  There's a few reasons for this.  First the load in is so much easier.  Secondly they tend to be shorter gigs (usually 3 hours total with 1-2 breaks).  Thirdly, they are looser - we bring an iPad and learn songs on the fly, etc.  And they are paying not much less per person than the full band gigs.

Now we're still playing stuff that gets people up and dancing, and we're finding the crowds and bars really receptive to that.  It hink too often people do acoustic gigs and load up on slower, mellower stuff.  We still do Nikki Minaj and Eminem and the crowd eats it up.

Honestly, I see 2014 being a year where we try to do 3-4 full band gigs a month and do acoustic stuff to fill in the calender.

Oh and one other perk.  The acoustic gigs are really helping promote the full band.  We're seeing lots of people who see us first acoustically then make a point to go see the full band.

• Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

Generally, I've always enjoyed full band gigs more than when Meagan and I do acoustic duo stuff.  But lately, I'm really starting to dig the acoustic gigs.  There's a few reasons for this.  First the load in is so much easier.  Secondly they tend to be shorter gigs (usually 3 hours total with 1-2 breaks).  Thirdly, they are looser - we bring an iPad and learn songs on the fly, etc.  And they are paying not much less per person than the full band gigs.

Now we're still playing stuff that gets people up and dancing, and we're finding the crowds and bars really receptive to that.  It hink too often people do acoustic gigs and load up on slower, mellower stuff.  We still do Nikki Minaj and Eminem and the crowd eats it up.

Honestly, I see 2014 being a year where we try to do 3-4 full band gigs a month and do acoustic stuff to fill in the calendar.

Oh and one other perk.  The acoustic gigs are really helping promote the full band.  We're seeing lots of people who see us first acoustically then make a point to go see the full band.

There is a pretty popular group in my area that does the same thing you guys do. 4 piece band with female lead vocalist. They gig 2-3X per month and the rest of the time its the guitar player and singer doing a very similar set acoustically. They do very well and it does help get more people out to the full band shows.

When we started Ostrich Hat we were an acoustic act and we always promoted our "big brother band"  it worked well. We also filled a need for small restaurants that wanted fun tunes at low volume. The people ate it up at places that were used to just a solo or duo act that played mellower stuff. 

• Members

I've been starting to play drums/ percussion for an acoustic combo in central MA, and the first gig was truly just a LOT of fun. They're certainly guilty of some of that more laid back stuff, but they're also focused on being background music at the bar with the occasional shaker and mover.

But yeah, as the drummer, load in/out is MUCH easier, and the pay is good for a relaxed night!

Archived