First Private Gig With New Lineup

wheresgrant3

• Members

Last weekend we played our first 'private' gig with the new lineup. Honestly this whole experience is surreal in that every gig we play provides a wholly unpredictable response from the audience. The band just has a whole new dynamic now... that is neither better nor worse than the old band... but different for sure. We played a school holiday dance for a prep school in CT. These kids all have money. This was a leftover gig from NUTS that we had booked over the summer and planned to gig with a sub singer. This was intended as one of our last shows b/c without a permanent singer we weren't intending continuing the band past January. The ironic thing was we were one of 5 bands presented to the kids and they chose us based on the name Nuts In A Blender alone. LOL We didn't have the heart to tell them we changed the name to About Last Night. 

I couldn't attend this gig as I had a prior family engagement but I manage all of the video we shoot.    So I cobbled together the best parts. Now I can say from experience that these gigs are usually dreadful to play. It's one of the reasons I opted out. Playing to kids under 12 and adults over 21 (and inebriated) are the two desired age groups to  play to. Both groups are usually receptive to live music whereas, teens usually are awkward, insecure, afraid to dance, let loose and have fun. We've played Bah Mitvahs, birthdays, sweet 16's, graduation parties and it's rare that those between 13 and 18 do anything other than stare, look sullen, whisper in each others ear or look like deer caught in the headlights... and that's how this night started. Except our singer was not going to allow that sort of behavior. So out of the gate he climbed right onto the dance floor and engaged the audience. This is far different than our old singer who rarely left the stage. What you witness over the course of several songs is the crowd submitting to entertainment. Of course still after ever song and during song breaks they still don't know how to clap or cheer, but while the music is going on they are having a terrific time. I actually regretted missing this. 

It's also interesting to see the songs that really hit big. I'm 42... I don't have kids. But One Direction seemed to get the biggest response of the whole night. LOL And I was against adding that song. Seems tailor made for the under 20 set. 

(I added a b&w filter to all of the footage b/c the actually video was so dark I needed to lighten the exposure which wrecked the color. It actually adds a nice classy look to some of the footage). 

• Members

I haven't played for high school kids since I was like...in high school.   That would be a weird crowd for sure.  

Your frontman worked it!  

You're surprised that One Direction was huge with this audience though?  You're falling off your game, me thinks!

BTW---how's that song working for you in general?  We never learned it when it was new, but my drummer and the girls still think it'd be a good song to do while I'm thinking it's already past its expiration date?  Or is this one of those pop tunes that has more legs than others?

• Members

guido61 wrote:

I haven't played for high school kids since I was like...in high school.   That would be a weird crowd for sure.  

Your frontman worked it!  

You're surprised that One Direction was huge with this audience though?  You're falling off your game, me thinks!

BTW---how's that song working for you in general?  We never learned it when it was new, but my drummer and the girls still think it'd be a good song to do while I'm thinking it's already past its expiration date?  Or is this one of those pop tunes that has more legs than others?

Thanks... he's fearless. ;)  At our first show together in October he asked permission, as if "is it ok?" for him to climb off stage and get down with audience. We were like "Where have you been all of our lives" LOL

It's always been OK. It's slammed between two pop songs so we only play a verse/chorus twice so people are already dancing. It still plays on local top 40 radio. It just occured to me watching the video that is the target market for this song. So the audience is mostly on '7' the whole night and we hit that song and BANG they are on '11'. Then back to 7 the rest of the night.  LOL

• Members

You guys need to buy a pair of Fab5's. even 2 of them set to fade and mounted to the fly points in your U15's will give you some good front lighting.

Here's an example. Same band, without and with front lighting.

The hihat thing started out as a tambourine, and escalated from there. :D

And with 1 Fab5 per side:

Some front lighting even on slow fades will make a huge difference! $500 or less for 2.

• Members

Completely agree. It's been a huge weakness in our setup. It's our next purchase... we have $600 to spend. We were looking at the Fab5's but that means just one per side. Our lighting tech was looking at the Blizzard weather system which I think is a mistake for front lighting... no amber and they seem built for back lighting? What's your thoughts... 

• Members

My rear lights are 3NX. They are an RGB fixture. I went with Fab5's for the front, because of the RGBAW. I typically have them with Amber at 100% and white at 75%. That makes things nice and bright.

I just did a sound/light gig this weekend. 4 fab5's across the front the dedicated Amber & White LED's give a pretty decent natural light. Of course you can do other colors as well.

Here's a buncha scenes from last night, and

I kept the the Fab5's at that Amber 100%/white 75% for all of them.

Here's an example of one fab5 per side on a color fade:

And one per side with all hell breaking loose on the rear truss.

;)

The Weather System seems like a rear truss fixture. It's so wide, I can't see it being used other than maybe on the floor pointing up. The problem with that is you basically get the spooky upward flashlight look.

• Members

Holy ---- StratGuy22, I just learned more about lighting in 30 seconds than I have reading my ass off for the last 6 weeks.

So, two of these? http://www.amazon.com/Blizzard-Lighting-PUCK-FAB-5-7x15W-Fixture/dp/B00B5HJDU0 $250 each?

I know what I'm getting when I finish buying speakers. I can run just the Fab5s with no controllers and some auto-RGB wash floods on basically auto pilot from the FOH fly points until I can afford a DMX controller etc?

Sorry to highjack. But wow, I just had to. When Star Trek aliens tell stories of this day, they will say, "Wesley: his eyes wide!"

Wes

Archived