"Brick House": Anybody still playing this?

New Trail

• Members

We learned "Brick House" the other night as dance filler for our upcoming NYE country club gig.  I think it will be a great dance song, and it actually sounded pretty darn good with just guitar, bass, and drums.  I'm not sure whether to try to cover any horn parts on guitar or just stick with funky rhythm.....thoughts?  Who still plays this song?

• Members

Tullsterx wrote:

Oh yeah! And at our show the singers go out and split the dance floor with the females on one side and the males on the other and they do a "shake down" competition between the guys and girls. That usually goes over big and can get kinda crazy.

Your band is so friggin cool... I just watched your promo video for the umpteenth time.

• Members

We're still playing it. I'm really a fan of material like this being reserved for requests. (Besides, I don't like seeing it on a set list.) We're 7 piece so yes, we do the horn parts. As a three piece, I don't think you have many options unless the bass carries the line solidly. (Not easy.) It is a tune that everyone knows and many like to dance to. (Perfect for NYE) Figure what works best for your band, play it and have fun.

• Members

We play Brick House, Funky Music, etc. etc. ad nauseum.   I'm not a big fan of them, but you can't deny that people of ALL age groups love them.   I have a setting on my keyboard of a special mixture of horn sounds,  for what I mark as the "Soul Brother" sound, which, when playing with guitars/drums blasting away, are very well received.   Not 100% accurate, but it works.   My problem is that in the middle of one of these songs sometimes I get distracted and have trouble remembering which song it is.  Usually it's in a medely anyway! ha ha ha but true

I have a similar Sax+ some Horn setting for stuff like Soul Man type of "lots of sax" songs.

We always play these in the last half of the night, when people have digested their food and have been drinking for at least a while and are feeling frisky.

Not much originality, but wtf, at the time of the evening when people start to get happy, they don't care about if it is not played much by others, but about dancin and squeezin and drinkin.

We do the "not played by others" stuff earlier on, when their attention span is not on titties.

Archived