How is 2014 shaping up for everyone?

Vito Corleone

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Landed 2 more gigs. One on Feb15, it will be our first time playing this new town about 2.5 hours away. There was some interest in a Christmas party there last year that didn't end up working because of the dates. So I'm stoked that I can invite them to come check us out.

Also the big Chamber of Commerce Xmas party is a go, (the one with all the little companies going together and having a big party) plus they want us to play their awards gala in Oct. that's awesome :)

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Landed 2 more gigs. One on Feb15, it will be our first time playing this new town about 2.5 hours away. There was some interest in a Christmas party there last year that didn't end up working because of the dates. So I'm stoked that I can invite them to come check us out.

Also the big Chamber of Commerce Xmas party is a go, (the one with all the little companies going together and having a big party) plus they want us to play their awards gala in Oct. that's awesome
:)

Are you the guitar player in Spokane? I can't keep all you separated in my head. If yes, is the 2.5 hours down here in Kennewick?

• Members

Ozz & Dio Disciples at CPubN Flyer.jpgWe just landed a pretty cool gig opening up for Dio Disciples.

Oni Logan (Lynch Mob), Craig Goldy (Dio), Simon Wright (AC/DC, Dio, UFO), Scott Warren (Dio, Warrant, Heaven & Hell), Bjorn Englen and Mark Boals both from Yngwie Malmsteen.

Damn, sorry, didn't realize the picture would be so large!

• Members

Well... we were off to a rough start. After having a stellar New Year's Eve at the area's largest club we had to cancel 3 shows in a row due to our singer's availability. As I've mentioned in previous posts our new singer is career military. He was stationed in San Antonio before transferring to NY this summer to audition for the U.S.M.A.'s jazz band. He got the part and signed a 6 year contract with the band. The problem was that he is still stationed in San An. So he went back in December to close out paperwork and complete his transfer. Instead he got stuck in red tape. So he had to come back in Jan to finish. This was something we anticipated 'could' happen'... it just sucked that it happened. LOL Too the wind out of our sails. So instead we cancelled shows on the 11th and 17th & 18th. Losing income hurt... losing momentum hurt even more.

Last Saturday was our first show back together and our first show in a brand new market: one of the bigger rooms in Conneticut. We've we were trying to get into this venue with the old band before the name change so we were really on trial for the new band. To assure a good crowd we did something unique.... we rented a bus of 50 people to drive them over the state line. Frankly I was surprised that we sold the bus out in less than a week, but as Saturday's forecast called for snow 15 people dropped out. We were able to get 11 ne people to fill the slot. It snowed all day... only 3-5 inches, but the roads were a mess and frankly snow has a way of keeping people at home. 10pm arrived and the only people in the bar were our 70+ friends and family. By midnight the bar started to fill and by last call 1am it looked like this:

Our sub singer that helped carry that band last year showed up and we called him on stage to sing Killing In The Name Of (a speciality of his). The club immediately gave us three days during load out so the band  is already on it's way getting into new markets. Our calendar is a bit soft until April-May (local rooms are a shambles now). but my hopes by June-July is we will be back on th 5-6 shows a month. 

• Members

The open mic is going to only go once a month. That works for me. On the upside, my band might have a 30th highschool reunion coming up. They've formed a committee now, so who knows how that will pan out.

-facepalm-

Sound wise, I did a gig this weekend for a band in the next town over. Here's a bit of the bands encore song. They threw it together at sound check.

http://youtu.be/iIfw7CFqXMk

The setup:

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/9810F305-5595-40BD-98F4-221A2D5B24C4-3324-0000023B...

Mic'd everything. Just went DI straight into board for bass. Ran it into his monitor, a YX15 and out the front. Mixed all night via iPad.

I've done sound for them before, this will be the 5th time. Good guys. I got some good compliments from their girlfriends, who go to all their gigs. They said the ones I do are always their best sounding gigs. You can always hear the vocals, the guitar leads etc. Other gigs are often muffled, plagued with feedback etc. They also got a lot of compliments from the local audience, and this was tbe best they have sounded to date. So those are some nice pats on the back.

I got a few shout outs from them during the gig, which is also nice. I was able to meet one of the organizers for a local music festival that's in it's second year. They do a Battle of the Bands to fill a couple of the spots. This takes place in May. He's really interested in having me provide production for the event. I gave him 2 prices, one with basic lights and one with the works ($100 difference) so he's going bring it to the board soon and they will vote on it and then get back to me.

Another bonus to the Battle of the Bands event, is that it will get me into the legion, which also books a lot of shows. This will show them what I can do, which will also hopefully lead to some work for them as well!!

• Members

2014 is a good year for both bands I'm in which is both a blessing and a curse.  I'm taking March off to welcome another baby to the family. 

So far 46 shows booked between now and the end of the year, and have played 6 since January.  Just added two more today.  Hope my wife and I can survive with a newborn and a 4 year old!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I played my first gig with the new lineup last night..we filled a hole on a bars schedule, and have been asked back...but they are already booked through April, ugh.

I think I just booked our first wedding too. All right!

• Members

Just sent out a bid for a battle of the bands type gig. It's for a couple spots on a fledgling music festival, one that got to a pretty decent size in the past, gambled on an artist one year that didn't bring the numbers expected and basically bankrupted the event.

Closer to 10 years later, they've restarted the event, last year was the first year of the reboot, and they had a battle of the bands for some spots as well. One of the board members is a friend of the band in the next town I did the sound gig for, and expressed an interest in having me provide for the B.o.B. event this may. Just sent him some options and some prices so I'll see how it shakes out.

Waiting on a rodeo gig for my band as well, should hear back on that one soon.

Archived