Quitting the band: How do you know when it's time?

New Trail

• Members

I don't think I've ever quit a band unless it was to join another band.  I'm in a situation now that I play with several bands, so even if I quit one of them, I would still be in a band.  If I'm unhappy with one band, how will I know when I should quit?  I know this is really vague but any thoughts would be helpful.

• Members

My time has come to leave. It can be hard to leave when you enjoy playing with your bandmates. I always leave those situations in a very friendly way. Those are relationships that I want to keep with people I will be seeing again. I don't feel that way about my current band. I won't burn any bridges, but I'm not going to go out of my way to maintain those relationships.

• Members

New Trail wrote:

I don't think I've ever quit a band unless it was to join another band.  I'm in a situation now that I play with several bands, so even if I quit one of them, I would still be in a band.  If I'm unhappy with one band, how will I know when I should quit?  I know this is really vague but any thoughts would be helpful.

As a guy who has quite a history of quitting bands, I feel I can offer expert advice on the subject (haha)!

If you aren't feeling fulfilled in the group, whether it's not being appreciated for what you bring to the band (your musical abilities, vocal abilities, marketing abilities, etc.), feeling personality clashes between certain members or you're just burned out on the whole thing, it might be time to decide to quit the group.

The main factor that tells me to move on from being in someone else's band is when I don't feel appreciated for what I do (and can do) in the group. If it's taken for granted or I'm told things like "we can play without you" or "we can find anyone to do your job," then it's definitely time to move on.

As a bandleader, I don't like to make people feel that way. I know what it's like to be on both sides. But sometimes, a band is just an ill fit. If one guy loves modern rock, but everyone else just wants to play 70s classic rock songs because they've been doing them for the past 30+ years (no need to actually work on anything), that's going to be a problem. The reverse is true as well.

It's a gut feeling. Sounds like you know it's time to let one of your bands go.

• Members

I went through a ton of start up bands when I started down the comeback trail. My decision to move on typically was based on lack of the starts up bands potential. Typically lack of vocals stood out along with players in ablitlty to sit in a mix. two basic deal breaker skills. Another deal breaker for me is when it stops being fun. LIfe is way too short to be playing music where you really just don't enjoy working with the people you are playing with.

Archived