America's Got Talent Auditions

Chip Stewart

• Members

I auditioned for America's Got Talent yesterday. I arrived at the Jacob Javitz Center in New York City at 9:40 am, stood in line outside for about 2 hours, made it into the registration room and waited there for about 6 hours, went down to the audition holding room and waited about 1 hour, and then went for my 90 second audition at 7:15 pm. The audition was videotaped in front of three judges. There was a small wooden dance floor with an X on it, which is where I had to stand. I was instructed to tell the judges my name, how long I've been playing, my age, and what song I was going to play. They then said let's see what you got and I played one verse and chorus of "Turn the Page" by Bob Seger. They thanked me for auditioning, and told me they would call the people chosen for the second round in January. I thanked them for their time, and left the audition room.

I was number 753, and there were over 1100 people registered for Saturday. They expected just as many people on Sunday. I played well, but I don't think it was good enough to make it to the second round. I'm just a boring, middle-aged guy that plays guitar and sings pretty good, but I'm not amazing by any means. I also don't have an interesting back story, i.e. I lived in my car the past 5 years, etc.

Even though I don't think I'll make it through to the next round, I still think it was worth it. I met a lot of really neat people, was 5 feet away from Nick Cannon at one point, and the judges were very nice and professional. All in all, a really great experience.

• Members

Wish you luck!
:thu:

Thanks everyone. The producers took a lot of film of us warming up, etc., so I might make it on TV even if I don't make it past the first round. Again, they took about 10 hours of film for probably 3 minutes of time, but there is a chance. I'll be videotaping the show just in case. :cool:

• Members

Wish you luck.

A few weeks back, someone suggested I try out for the Canadian version. I decided not to, but a few of my friends did, with similar all day experiences.

Man how times have changed. Back in the late eighties, I was in a CBC (a Canadian network) television contest called Rock Wars. Our band got paid for every performance and our second place finish got us a $25,000 video budget.

Now everyone plays for free. Oh well.... the music biz, ain't it grand!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello,

I'm a long time lurker from SW Florida. I'm taking my son to AGT auditions in Tampa this weekend. He plays the guitar and sings. Does anyone have any tips they would like to pass along. The experience will be good for him because he has college auditions coming up in the next few months.

Thanks

Archived