Amplifier Advise

Kinksfan

• Members

Can anyone offer advise on what might be my best choice of amplifier please? I do a solo show, using backing tracks and on some tracks, my acoustic guitar. I am upgrading my equipment bit by bit, as I can afford to, but also feel that I would be more relaxed if I had a spare amp at gigs.

Currently, I am using a Warrior DA500 amplifier, 180W + 180W RMS into 8 Ohms, a Thomann T.Mix 1622FX 16 Channel Mixer and a pair of EV SX300E Speakers. Obviously the plan is to replace the grossly under-powered Warrior, and keep it for emergencies.

All advise gratefully received.

Thanks

Geoff

• Members

As I'm typing this, there were no replies to your thread yet, but I'm sure that by the time I hit "Post" someone else will have given you some other advice. I tend to be long winded, so I did a short version and long version.

SHORT VERSION

Buy a Yamaha EMX512sc (or the EMX 312sc if you are hurting for money.) Then buy a single EV SB122 subwoofer. You'll have a great system.

LONG VERSION

I would recommend that you not buy an amp. I'd recommend a combo mixer/amp. Actually, I'd specifically recommend the Yamaha EMX512sc. Peavey also makes some good stuff. The 512 is 400 wpc into 8 ohms, and 500 wpc into 4 ohms, so if you ever decide to add some small subs, it can drive them. It sounds good, it has a nice little mixer, and it weighs very little.

It is so lightweight and so easy to set up and so convenient that you'll love yourself for getting one.

Pull up a chair and listen to my tale... maybe you'll avoid some of the mistakes I made.

Several years ago I decided to start performing as a solo act. Originally I did all original music, but I got bored and started to slip in some covers, and now I'm pretty much doing 90% covers except for special gigs. Anyway, I had a 12 channel Yamaha mixing board I'd bought to do recordings with, and an AKG C1000 microphone, and that was it. I set my budget at $700 and off I went.

I went to the local music superstores (Sam Ash and Guitar Center) to decide what the hell I needed. I walked into Sam Ash in Clearwater, which is a big ass store that's really long, and they had a live band playing down at the other end of the store, in the back corner. It sounded really good and I thought "That is definitely a live band." I walked down there and turned the corner and saw a guy demonstrating a pair of EV ZXA1's with a pair of EV SB122 subs. I was blown away - couldn't believe that sound was coming out of those speakers. He was powering them with a EMX512sc. I looked at the price tag and I was blown away again - it was around $1,500 for all four speakers. And they were passive speakers. So no amp. And way over budget. I tried to get a salesperson to talk to me but no one seemed interested. So I left.

Next I went to Guitar Center. There I found a sales guy willing to help me. I explained that I already had a mixer, I had a budget of $700, and I played solo. His first recommendation to me was to buy a 2 way powered QSC speaker. It had a 12 inch woofer and a horn, and it was around $750, and it sounded outstanding. It was also pretty close to my budget. I couldn't imagine playing gigs with only one speaker, so I said I wanted two. In retrospect, he had given me very good advice, but I didn't take it.

So the next thing he suggested was a power amp, two poles, and a set of speakers. I ended up buying a Mackie power amp (can't remember the model, but it put out 300 wpc into 8 ohms,) two poles, two speaker cables, and a pair of Peavey PR12's. I did a bunch of gigs with that system, carting the amp around in the original cardboard box, and eventually bought a 2u case that could rack mount my Mackie. The Mackie weighed a ton. That system sounded OK, but not great. After carrying around the amp in its case for months, I couldn't take it any more. I bought the Yamaha EMX312sc and it was love at first lift - it was way WAY lighter than the Mackie. My mistake was that I didn't buy the 512 - even though I've never needed more power, that doesn't mean I never will.

Around that time I bought an EV ND/767a and retired the C1000.

I was not happy with the low end of the Peavey PR12's (what low end) and I thought back to those wonderful sounding EV speakers and subs... and bought a cheapie pair of Peavey PR15's. So now I had four crappy speakers instead of two. Actually they're not crappy. They don't sound terrible. They sound "OK." But it was pretty cheap for the pair.

After carting those things around in my Ford Fusion, I'd had it. I sold them to a friend, kept the PR 12's, and went out and bought a pair of EV ZXA1's and a single SB122 sub. Once I'd had that for a while and had saved up a little more money, I bought the second sub. The EMX312sc drives all four speakers just fine, and I've never had a gig where I put the led's in the red, but I tend to play at low key places.

The moral of the story is, think about where you eventually want to end up in terms of your PA, then buy stuff toward THAT goal. Otherwise known as "buy once, cry once."

• Members

The moral of the story is, think about where you eventually want to end up in terms of your PA, then buy stuff toward THAT goal. Otherwise known as "buy once, cry once."

Great advise Richard, many thanks. I'll definitely take a look at the EMX512sc and the EV subwoofer.

• Members

Amp for electric guitar or ? do you need distortion?, budget? Sounds like you are currently DI?

No electric guitar, just an electro-acoustic, and no need for distortion. Main concern is quality of vocal and backing track reproduction. Budget up to around 500GBP (770USD), but I'd like to spend less if possible.

Thanks Geoff

• Members

Great advise Richard, many thanks. I'll definitely take a look at the EMX512sc and the EV subwoofer.

For someone who doesn't use backing tracks, a sub is not needed. But for someone who DOES use backing tracks, it will make a huge difference in how good those tracks sound. Huge.

• Members

sorry to hijack the thread but on the subject of using subs..

ive my eye on a nice LIGHT setup but im wondering is it powerful enough..

its a 12" sub + two full range 10" speakers. all powered - with an un-powered mixer...

now i know thats not super powerful, i used to own a 15" sub and two 10" speakers.. but the sub weighed a TON and i got rid of it...

now i wanna go back to using a sub but the 12" one weighs 22kg which is already more than enough...

so whadda y'all reckon would it work, with backing tracksm for typical pub style venues, not big places at all.. you know the type..

to the original poster - al i can say to you is subs are great!! as richardmac has said, only if your using b acking tracks or something with bass content in there..

i miss my one.. but my back sure doesnt !

in retrospect i should have looked into a trolley or something clever to lift it. i would still have a great system and probably for the same cost as teh one im looking at now.

instead i sold the lot and bought two 12" full rangers,... theyre good but you still miss the sub.. ;)

d

• Members

sorry to hijack the thread but on the subject of using subs..

ive my eye on a nice LIGHT setup but im wondering is it powerful enough..

its a 12" sub + two full range 10" speakers. all powered - with an un-powered mixer...

now i know thats not super powerful, i used to own a 15" sub and two 10" speakers.. but the sub weighed a TON and i got rid of it...

now i wanna go back to using a sub but the 12" one weighs 22kg which is already more than enough...

so whadda y'all reckon would it work, with backing tracksm for typical pub style venues, not big places at all.. you know the type..

d

Can't say how well it'd work without knowing make and model, and then I couldn't say unless I've heard the model before. Not all subs are created equal. Peavey made a PR-series sub that was light weight and used a 15 inch speaker, and it didn't sound as good as the EV SB122's I have now. But it cost less than half the price, so there's that. You can get a very good sound out of a good 12 inch sub. Good enough that you can feel it, assuming the venue is not huge. It's not going to cut it for a real bass drum with a mic on it, but for backing tracks or DJ work it can sound very good.

• Members

For someone who doesn't use backing tracks, a sub is not needed. But for someone who DOES use backing tracks, it will make a huge difference in how good those tracks sound. Huge.

Depends on the content of the backing track and volume. Any bass, keys, kick? yeah a sub is probably a good idea. If your mains reproduce respectable lows and your volume is modest, no need for a sub.

• Members

No electric guitar, just an electro-acoustic, and no need for distortion. Main concern is quality of vocal and backing track reproduction. Budget up to around 500GBP (770USD), but I'd like to spend less if possible.

Thanks Geoff

I might be confused with your question, but if I understand correctly you are asking for PA amp suggestions? You're speaking about guitar, vocals and backing tracks in the same context so I think that's what you're asking----yes? If so, your amp selection would be based on the power rating of your speakers. As far as the amp affecting the quality of the vocals and backing tracks, this is much more determined by your mic and speakers than anything the amp does.

• Members

Depends on the content of the backing track and volume. Any bass, keys, kick? yeah a sub is probably a good idea. If your mains reproduce respectable lows and your volume is modest, no need for a sub.

To be accurate, yes, I totally agree with you. The biggest benefit of a sub is to make the kick sound like a real kick. If you don't have drums in your backing track and your speakers don't suck, you don't need a sub. But if you do have drums, even at lower volumes the kick just sounds so much better through a sub and really gives your music more of a "live" feel. IMHO.

• Members

Can anyone offer advise on what might be my best choice of amplifier please? I do a solo show, using backing tracks and on some tracks, my acoustic guitar. I am upgrading my equipment bit by bit, as I can afford to, but also feel that I would be more relaxed if I had a spare amp at gigs.

Currently, I am using a Warrior DA500 amplifier, 180W + 180W RMS into 8 Ohms, a Thomann T.Mix 1622FX 16 Channel Mixer and a pair of EV SX300E Speakers. Obviously the plan is to replace the grossly under-powered Warrior, and keep it for emergencies.

All advise gratefully received.

Thanks

Geoff

Are you saying that your power amp is grossly under-powered because it's clipping and/or distorting before you get to the volume you need OR are you saying it's under-powered because it's not 300 or 400 watts a side? BTW the link I saw said 150 watts. http://www.djsupplies.co.uk/warrior-da500-amplifier-500w-282-p.asp

And do you want to stay with the same set up of passive mixer and power amp?

Whatever the case, I wouldn't recommend powering the speakers with much more than 1 x 1 if you're not using subs. http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=202 Not saying you can't do it but an amp with 300 to 400 watts a side should be plenty. Maybe a QSC GX3 if you were never going to run monitors or subs, but I'd recommend a QSC GX5. You would have 350 rms a side for the mains and plenty of juice for a sub or monitors (but not both) if you went that route.

As mentioned, powered mixers are also an option, and certainly worth a look.

Archived