Anybody have a favorite place to buy Blues midis?

dannyjofla

• Members

If there are any blues solos or duos here that use backing tracks, where do you get your backing tracks aside from free midi avaiable on the net. I do two blues acts, one acoustic which is a show called "Delta Blues: From the beginning" and the other called "Danny Jo's Blues Train" which is electric guitar and piano/B3/keyboard. The acoustic act is a one hour to 90 minute show with some slide work, and anecdotal history of the blues. It has been well received and quite honestly I enjoy doing it, it really is a labor of love. The electric act is ofor bars and lounges and I don't talk much, just shut up and play.

That said, what I am looking for is which site where tyou pay for midis has anyone found to be worth the money. i realize that's a subjective topic, but I am only looking for a few tune. I am not the kind of guitar player who has ever been able to learn leads note for note, so alot of the midis don't have to perfect.

Appreciate any input.

Danny Jo/Naples FL

• Members

There's alot of good free blues midis but some songs I'd like to do are not available, like Born in Chicago by Butterfield.

Any suggestions?

Why not just sequence it yourself? If you're not worried about catching the vibe of Sam Lay's drumming, it's a very easy tune. For blues tunes like that I will often just set up a drum groove and play the bass live to the sequencer. Then I can correct and quantize if I want and resequence the drums to fit the bass. If you're no good at sequencing drums (not everyone is) then just use your guide drum track, and throw in a cymbal crash or roll here and there.

I have a few blues tunes I got from the web, but I find that I usually have to do the drums over, and often fix the bass. I just delete everything else so it doesn't sound too much like karaoke.

I use a free program called Anvil Studio. They finally just updated the sequencer so you can globally change the velocity of a single note - like kick drum (#36) or whatever. It can be a set volume or an increase/decrease of the various velocities of the note. You can also purchase upgrades for recording and so on, but I haven't tried those yet.

Anyway it's free - not much to lose.

• Members

Why not just sequence it yourself? If you're not worried about catching the vibe of Sam Lay's drumming, it's a very easy tune. For blues tunes like that I will often just set up a drum groove and play the bass live to the sequencer. Then I can correct and quantize if I want and resequence the drums to fit the bass. If you're no good at sequencing drums (not everyone is) then just use your guide drum track, and throw in a cymbal crash or roll here and there.

I have a few blues tunes I got from the web, but I find that I usually have to do the drums over, and often fix the bass. I just delete everything else so it doesn't sound too much like karaoke.

I use a free program called Anvil Studio. They finally just updated the sequencer so you can globally change the velocity of a single note - like kick drum (#36) or whatever. It can be a set volume or an increase/decrease of the various velocities of the note. You can also purchase upgrades for recording and so on, but I haven't tried those yet.

Anyway it's free - not much to lose.

I have used Anvil Studio for a few years, it's great. Yeah, I guess I'll sequence it myself. Like everything, the second time will be easier. I have used digoital drummers over the years, so the drums will be easy, I think. Thanks.

Archived