New gig last night - first question - "Are you doing karaoke?"

Notes_Norton

• Members

I think the differences between backing tracks and karaoke tracks are:

1) Backing tracks don't necessarily sound just like the record. The arrangement can be different, and the instruments sound a little different. Karaoke tracks are meant to sound "just like the record" and I think when the public hears that, they automatically assume the musicians are not playing the parts but instead doing karaoke

2) Karaoke tracks often fade out - good backing tracks never fade out

3) Karaoke tracks often have background singing strangers on them - a good backing track will play the backing singer parts on a synth, brass, sax or other patch - depending on the song.

Thinking out loud here: I know when we musicians cover a song, we often strive to sound like the record, but I think if you get too close, people may think you are doing karaoke and that is a negative.

I also suppose this might vary by location and age group.

Anyway, I'm glad we now have the gig - even if it is one or two parties per year.

Great list, Bob. I'll add one more:

4) Karaoke tracks often have instrumental breaks in the parts where the vocalist isn't singing (e.g. there's a canned sax or guitar solo before the last verse), which makes them not suitable for backing tracks.

• Members

I believe there is a growing trend, in some places, to hire karaoke singers as "live entertainment". I've seen plenty of it here in Florida where I live. People who like to sing can now find an easy way to get up in front of people. They might even do it more out of enjoyment than out of receiving compensation. In a way it's like open mic nights, which is another popular thing to do here. People play for free because they work day jobs and they just want to get up in front of people to play. They bring their friends and family members so it's a big win for the venue.

• Members

I believe there is a growing trend, in some places, to hire karaoke singers as "live entertainment". I've seen plenty of it here in Florida where I live. People who like to sing can now find an easy way to get up in front of people. They might even do it more out of enjoyment than out of receiving compensation. In a way it's like open mic nights, which is another popular thing to do here. People play for free because they work day jobs and they just want to get up in front of people to play. They bring their friends and family members so it's a big win for the venue.

Good Lord. But you know, not only do I believe it, but it makes sense. The venue knows that all the singer's pals will come and see him, so they'll do some business. On the other hand, I can't see a venue do this unless they're desperate for customers. Because having what is essentially a karaoke session where only one person is allowed to sing is going to drive traffic away.

There's precedence for this, though. We're not the first decade to see people standing on a stage and singing to canned music. They did it all the time on TV in the 70's. And in some cases, the singer didn't even really sing.

• Members

I think the differences between backing tracks and karaoke tracks are:

1) Backing tracks don't necessarily sound just like the record. The arrangement can be different, and the instruments sound a little different. Karaoke tracks are meant to sound "just like the record" and I think when the public hears that, they automatically assume the musicians are not playing the parts but instead doing karaoke

2) Karaoke tracks often fade out - good backing tracks never fade out

3) Karaoke tracks often have background singing strangers on them - a good backing track will play the backing singer parts on a synth, brass, sax or other patch - depending on the song.

Thinking out loud here: I know when we musicians cover a song, we often strive to sound like the record, but I think if you get too close, people may think you are doing karaoke and that is a negative

Do you think any audience member actually thinks like this?? I can barely tell a homemade track from a kareoke track alot of times and i do this for a living!!

C'mon theres no need to defend what you do but if your going to use tracks people are going to think that way.

• Members

IMO the phenomenon of clubs hiring one non-pro to do full-fledged karaoke for "live" entertainment is going to be more and more commonplace. That was set in motion with the advent of solo performers downloading backing tracks that had the 1,000 and 1 strings, "everything but the kitchen sink" approach (as opposed to creating and using BT's that are more stripped-down, "home-made" and tasteful). That's the world we live in and there's no going back, might as well say "bye" to the good ole days as they rapidly disappear in the rear-view- at least we'll have the consolation of being able to bitch about it on the internet! :)

• Members

IMO the phenomenon of clubs hiring one non-pro to do full-fledged karaoke for "live" entertainment is going to be more and more commonplace. That was set in motion with the advent of solo performers downloading backing tracks that had the 1,000 and 1 strings, "everything but the kitchen sink" approach (as opposed to creating and using BT's that are more stripped-down, "home-made" and tasteful). That's the world we live in and there's no going back, might as well say "bye" to the good ole days as they rapidly disappear in the rear-view- at least we'll have the consolation of being able to bitch about it on the internet!
:)

ha ha,.. and bitch about it we will ;) we'll have nothing else to do.! :eek: :eek:

but to be honest i dont see it going that way.

you may get away with it on some nights or for a while but after a bit people will tire of a guy just singing and doing nothing else - they will feel "hey i could do that myself.."

lets face it. the "solo guy with backing tracks" format has been going fully now since the 90's... its already been tested and is still there as a format.

like it or love it, bars are still booking them and obviously like what they have to offer.

if they were to end up being phased out i would expect it to go the other way, i.e. back to fully live.. not to karaoke..

d

• Members

This isn't a new phenomenon... I remember acts back in the 70s and 80s that were nothing more than glorified karaoke. From solo singers accompanied by just their reel-to-reel or cassette decks to soloists and duos that would actually mime playing instruments on stage, they have always been around. It's just easier in this digital age to acquire one's backing tracks, whether pre-recorded or MIDI.

The funniest act I ever saw (and I swear I'm not making this up) was a small dude with an equally small cocktail drum set drumming along to records played over a home stereo system.

:eek:

Archived