Possible gig at local restaurant/bar ... questions

msmooth

• Members

I am playing an event at a local restaurant for friend this week. I will play guitar and sing along with a bassist on most of the songs (he does not know all of the songs I have on my list yet).

Today I went, along with the event host, to the vvenue to check out the details. When the Mgr. found out I was going to play he got excited and talked to me about possibly playing for him on the deck/patio. This is PRECISELY the type of venue I would like to play. :thu:

I have never played solo before (just been thinking about it and working on songs) so I don't have any promo material ready. I told the Mgr. that I would drop off a song list when I play Thursday night. Tonight, I added some basic information to my list: name, phone number and email address.

Question #1 - Are there any suggstions as to promo material?

I don't have time to make a demo or get a photo done. I wasn't looking to book yet, but I don't want to let an opportunity get away.

Question #2 - How do I come up with a fair amount to ask for?

I have never played solo or duo before. I probably will book with bass player as he and I have played in bands on/off for the last 20 years. Musically he gets me, even though he doesn't know ALL of my stuff yet. I think I need another person, at least until I get my feet wet and feel mor comfortable playing solo. I'm not in this for the money (this will give me a chance to play songs I love that don't fit into my regular band) but I don't to come across as an amature either. I have 25+ years expererience playing in bands.

I have been toying with this idea for some time and now I think I am actually going to run with it.... wish me luck.

• Members

Are you saying there are two separate gigs, one for your friend and another for the manager?

I know a musician that has a digital picture of his duo printed at the local drug store - it might take a few hours - and he writes the name of the band, the day and time that they are playing on it with magic marker, posts it in a few places at the venue. People seem to respond and show up for shows.

You might print something that resembles a business card using your computer, just in case someone asks for contact information.

• Members

Regarding question number two - You have to decide for yourself what to charge. It will also depend on what the local area is willing to pay. A good solo performer can ask $50 per hour. Some folks make more. In terms of a duo, if they're good, a hundred to a hundred fifty bucks per player is sort of typical, so $200 - $300 for the gig. And again, sometimes more. So I'd ask for $200. After you've been doing it a while you can think about asking for more. Just my two cents - take with grain of salt and an aspirin.

• Members

Ask for $25 an hour, set out a tip jar with a five dollar bill in it as bait, wear a tie and nice clothes, and above all; you are wallpaper/background music, pay attention to people, if they are straining to talk or they cannot hear the waitresses tone it down to a whisper. The customers have to hear the waitresses to get the orders right AND to hear what the specials are. Do all this and you will become a regular there.

• Moderators

Why do you need promo material? Your going to play there already so he will see you play

pretty much it...he is already courting you...he will get an audition on your Thursday night slot...but, do have a business card ready, and even a 'meager' promo pack (short bio, song list and a photo...no brick walls!).

The photo thing is sometimes crucial, as they may want to post it/promo it.

• Members

Ask for $25 an hour, set out a tip jar with a five dollar bill in it as bait, wear a tie and nice clothes, and above all; you are wallpaper/background music, pay attention to people, if they are straining to talk or they cannot hear the waitresses tone it down to a whisper. The customers have to hear the waitresses to get the orders right AND to hear what the specials are. Do all this and you will become a regular there.

$25/hour if they provide the PA, a free dinner and a tip jar. If I have to provide PA and my own tip jar, it's 50 bucks and hour. And I've never had to wear a tie at any restaurant gigs, but I suppose it couldn't hurt. I second what you said about the volume.

• Members

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. $25 to $50 per hour (or more) per person is reasonable and fair. How close to each number is up to you, although having said that...aim high; they can always say no (probably will) and then counter. That is the number you want to take, regardless of what it is.

I won't leave the house for less than $100...does that make me some sort of musical snob?

Or unemployable?

• Members

Thank you for all of the responses. I feel that I got a lot of good advice today =]

I set up my system at home tonight and practiced using it. I'm soooo glad I did! It took me a while to dial in the guitar sound I liked and getting a good balance between my vocals and the guitar. I was not enjoying the sound until I turned the volume way down. So the posts I got about volume, I get it.

I also got to use my Digitech Vocalist II for harmony. I have used this with my band, but never solo. I was able to get some nice things out of it.

I'm going to spend tomorrow night hitting it hard and then i'll see how it goes on Thursday. Thanks again!

Archived