big gig on saturday.. sore throat a' brewin'! please help!!

doezer

• Members

thanks all some great tips there...

for the gig i gargeld salt water quite a bit. not quite every hour on the hour, but a few times.

i dont know if it was that but whatever it was I got away with it.

in fact i more than got away with it. the voice seemed to be at full throttle and sounded fine..

only problem is now i can still feel it there nagging away.. so its off to the doctor methinks!

great. thanks folks for all the help..

hi susie i responded with this one here above...

yes it went fine in the end thanks, more than fine it was a good one :)

thanks

d

• Members

hi susie i responded with this one here above...

yes it went fine in the end thanks, more than fine it was a good one
:)

thanks

d

Thats good then!

Salt water gargle is a good preventative measure even if you don't feel ill.

Those pesky bacteria just love mouths. But the salt kills and flushes them out before they can turn nasty.

And its probably still nagging because you inflamed your throat a bit by singing.

Now you need vocal rest.

And salt gargle for a few days.

Who needs Doctors when you've got us quacks on here?

:) :)

• Members

Helps keep your body alkaline

The human body has to maintain a pH between 7.3 and 7.5 --- if your body was any more or less alkaline than that...you would die...very quickly. There is almost no substance you can ingest that will adjust your bodily pH that much. The human body has a few built-in buffer systems to regulate pH, the largest of which is the bicarbonate system (think arm and hammer...)

But the salt kills and flushes them out before they can turn nasty.

I'm not sure about "kills" but it surely "flushes" the baddies away! In chemistry parlance, we call that "salting out the organic." Most (if not all) chem labs keep several stock solutions ready to be used at any time. A completely salt-saturated solution is referred to as a "Brine" solution, and I've never worked in a lab that did not keep it handy. The theory being that most/any organic will not dissolve into FULLY saturated water...as there is no room. So the organic layer (the phlegm in this case) will NOT be absorbed, but expelled (think oil and water).

• Members

sprinkle some salt on a slug and watch it kill.

Oh yes!

Please don't do that. Kill it quickly. Don't torture it on the way. (OK I'm weird).

Now those uninvited nasties that may take up residence in my throat, I don't care if they are tortured or not, just so they die as quickly as possible so I can get back to doing my job and singing.

Certain kinds of bacteria are killed by salt, that is why salted meat is preserved. It's also why you can thwart a sore throat by gargling with it. It is also why people with periodontal disease brush and/or irrigate with salt water.

From answers.com:

Table salt, which consists primarily of sodium chloride, is the most important ingredient for curing food and is used in relatively large quantities. Salt kills and inhibits the growth of microorganisms by drawing water out of the cells of both microbe and food alike through osmosis. Concentrations of salt up to 20% are required to kill most species of unwanted bacteria.

Once properly salted, the food's interior contains enough salt to exert osmotic pressures that prevent or r-e-t-a-r-d the growth of many undesirable microbes. (hyphens inserted in r-e-t-a-r-d because the robot censor doesn't like that word and turns it into ******)

And from science buddies:

It does have to do with osmosis, yes. You might also want to look up 'homeostasis' and 'dessication'. Basically, if you increase the concentration of salt outside a bacterium, the water in the bacterium will move out into the surrounding water to equalize the concentration. At that point, the bacterium can no longer maintain structural integrity, because it needs to maintain homeostasis.

Of course, anything you read on the Internet should be taken with a grain of salt ;) - but when doctors and dentists recommend it, whether it kills the bacteria or just makes it inhospitable for them to live, it doesn't matter to me. As long as it works.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

Archived