big gig on saturday.. sore throat a' brewin'! please help!!

doezer

• Members

hi folks...

dammit! i have a gig on sat nite in a place my duo have been trying to get for a while now. and im the main singer..

and my throat is crapp-ing out on me i can feel it. not completely but i can feel it when i try to sing a few tunes with any power at all. it started happening at a gig last week at a gig and its still there.

do any of you seasoned veterans have any remedies that genuinely do help that you could suggest here please...?! e.g. honey and lemon? that kind of thing?.. something stronger??

thanks

d

• Moderators

gargle with warm salt water; do not drink anything cold, have hot tea with lemon, sweeten with honey...and, if that fails, right before you go on, a couple of straight shots of Jack :thu:

then again, you probably don't want to sound the way I do...so skip the Jack...;)

• Members

hi.

ok ive done some searching.

what i gather, and as usual there are lots of different opinions online.

but about 90% of them seem to agree that the big thing is lots of room temperature water.

also gargling warm water with salt in it regularly.

and finally zinc lozenges or tablets, and vitamin c.

some folks are saying honey is a very temperory fix and not a good idea unless your in a serious pickle and need to sing.

also coca cola can give a temporary fix but not recommended as a long term fix..

thats what im finding anyway...

!

• Moderators

warm salt water has stood me in good stead for over forty years singing...honey, as a sweetener, in lieu of sugar, is the intent, honey in itself is not going to do much. Other things I have found to work: adding hydrogen peroxide to the salt solution (maybe 20% before gargling); also depending if your throat issue is being worsened by P-ND (post-nasal drip), try 'snorting' the salt solution (not with peroxide though!) up into your nostrils/sinuses...Oh, sure they have these saline solution nasal products on the market, but a few inches of drinking straw and a shot glass of warm saline is much cheaper, and just as effective! :wave:

• Members

Send me a ticket and I will sing for you! :)

You got the basics down, stay away from dairy products on the day of the event, no extremely cold beverages, and, if all else fails, some very strong cough medicine. Be carefull since you will loose feeling in your throat and might do a lot of damage if you are not careful!

Rod

• Members

hi folks and thanks..

am trying this out. will see how i get on with it tomorrow then.

still doesnt feel right when i go to hit higher notes.. i hit them but i can feel a tension in the throat when i do.

and then if i persist the quality of the voice starts to go down down down!!....

need to lower the keys on everything i think.

thanks again to all

• Members

Hey doezer, hope your feeling better. My dad who has played in bands since the 50's, says to "gargle vodka"! Wow, I said do you swallow it after your done? "It depends on how bad you feel" (I think I would puke.) You can try tuning down 1/2 a step, if you don't have standard tuning inst. like harmonica, horns, or keys. I'm with daddymack on the Jack Daniels we all do one shot before we go on, (more of a ritual than a vocal thing, but it does not hurt!) also have some chloreseptic spray, but like rodclement said ^ your throat will become numb and you could do more damage. If I have a sore throat I will drink some hot coffee on the way to the gig ( It seems to bust up the crud.) I have also sipped Butterscotch snapps on ice during the show (seems to coat your throat). Everyone has some kind of remedy, after time you'll find what works best for you.

• Members

One thing to ease your night would be to organize your set so your easier material heads your set untill about 5/6 songs so a couple of things happen, one you are properly warmed up, since I don't know how you are technically, this ensures that you are not overly stressing your voice to early.

Second thing it does is allow you to get comfortable with levels, like monitors, etc. This ensures that you are comfortable and hearing yourself before you go into your harder, more demanding vocal songs so you don't stress your voice.

Lastly, you can re-ajust your set so some of the tougher songs are just left out, period! Why go there if you don't feel confident?

Rod

• Members

As others have mentioned.

Gargle with warm water and as much salt as can be suspended in solution. Iodized salt is preferable.

DO NOT drink any alcohol or anything cold. I prefer warm green tea but different throats require different drinks. Just make sure it is warm.

You might be able to pick up a product called "Singer's Saving Grace" at a health food store. It helps clear the phlegm from your vocal chords.

Olive leaf extract is supposed to be anti-viral and anti-bacterial - at the first sign of discomfort take about a half dozen caps, and repeat every few hours.

Good luck

Notes

• Members

I've tried most remedies that are out there.

I find that if you act the second you feel a cold coming on you can stop it in its tracks.

We all know the signs - scraping feeling in back of throat, crap taste in the mouth, sneezing. Those are the red lights.

So, that is a sign that the nasties are in your head cavities and you need to flush them out and kill them.

Salt water gargle on the hour every hour. The salt kills nasties. Sprinkle salt on a garden slug and watch it shrivel and die if you don't believe what power salt has!

Then invest in a 'neil-med sinus rinse kit' - its on amazon. The sachets of rinse are ready made and measured - and they are non messy and work.

As long as you make sure you use only filtered water or water that has been previously boiled you will be ok.

When you feel the cold coming, use the rinse several times a day. It flushes out your nasal cavities and makes sure the bacteria/virus cannot take hold.

You stay a bit bunged up for a couple of days but the salt gargle and saline nasal rinse make sure the cold does not drop onto your chest or larynx.

And if you have an upper respiratory infection - ie the cold is in your nose and no lower, you should still be able to sing.

If the cold is lower than the nose - CANCEL CANCEL CANCEL.

And room temperature water, no alcohol, no hot drinks, no ice cold drinks and no dairy etc are general rules to follow even when you don't have a cold.

And honey always soothes and is not harmful.

Lozenges may appear to help but they just dry out your throat - so sipping room temp water is best. But if you feel you MUST suck a lozenge, avoid menthol at all costs and only have Propolis lozenges. They aren't so drying. :)

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Hope you have caught the cold in time.

xxxx

• Members

Oh and as a daily prevention,

every day of your life,

take a fresh lemon, juice it, mix it with a little warm water, cider apple vinegar and honey and drink first thing every morning.

Then before each meal take a little cider apple vinegar and honey in water.

Helps keep your body alkaline and thus wards off nasty bacteria and viruses which cause the colds in the first place.

xxx

• Moderators

Oh and as a daily prevention,

every day of your life,

take a fresh lemon, juice it, mix it with a little warm water, cider apple vinegar and honey and drink first thing every morning.

Then before each meal take a little cider apple vinegar and honey in water.

Helps keep your body alkaline and thus wards off nasty bacteria and viruses which cause the colds in the first place.

xxx

alkaline?

actually, you can also by 'base water', where the pH isn't 0, it .1 or greater, ...works well and doesn't taste bitter...

• Members

actually, you can also by 'base water', where the pH isn't 0, it .1 or greater, ...works well and doesn't taste bitter...

If I recall my high school chemistry correctly, the pH of distilled water is 7.0, on a scale of 0 to 14. Your point about moving just a little from neutral is still well taken. I take no position on whether a slightly acidic or base liquid is better or more helpful. Mark C.

• Members

Here it is ... the cure all...

1 part whiskey

1 part honey

1 part water

a little sugar

all room temp...

If this doesnt work after a nght of sleep, then just the "1 part whiskey" 3 to 5 times before the gig, its gotta help!

Good Luck!!!

p.s. sorry if this info was too late!

• Moderators

If I recall my high school chemistry correctly, the pH of distilled water is 7.0, on a scale of 0 to 14. Your point about moving just a little from neutral is still well taken. I take no position on whether a slightly acidic or base liquid is better or more helpful. Mark C.

I sit corrected...yes, neutral is 7.0 my bad... :wave:

• Members

thanks all some great tips there...

for the gig i gargeld salt water quite a bit. not quite every hour on the hour, but a few times.

i dont know if it was that but whatever it was I got away with it.

in fact i more than got away with it. the voice seemed to be at full throttle and sounded fine..

only problem is now i can still feel it there nagging away.. so its off to the doctor methinks!

great. thanks folks for all the help..

• Members

And
room temperature water, no alcohol, no hot drinks
, no ice cold drinks and no dairy etc are general rules to follow even when you don't have a cold.

And honey always soothes and is not harmful.

xxxx

Yer takin' most of my good, fun stuff, away. :mad:

Seriously, I too use a salt water gargle as well as lemon/honey, with and without tea and, if it's with tea, something without caffeine. African Red Bush Tea is one great choice.

Archived